Question about healing time...

Tanya H.
on 1/14/15 4:30 am
VSG on 01/20/15

Hi all!

Forgive me if this question has been asked a million times before...I'm new to the forums and nervous about my upcoming VSG surgery. I tried to search but couldn't find what I was looking for. I'm interested in knowing about how you healed from surgery and how long it took for you to feel able to get up and out. I know everyone is different and you have to allow your body time to heal but I am just curious.

Questions: How long after surgery until pain subsided? How long before you could walk around? How long before you were out of the house? How long before you could drive? How long before you could return to work and normal activities?

I'm not going to rush my healing process but my surgery is Jan 20th, my daughter's 18th bday is Feb 3rd. I would like to at least be able to take her out to dinner or something.

Thanks for reading. :)

Tanya

mmsmom
on 1/14/15 4:53 am - Woburn, MA

I was up and walking in the hospital and went back to work after 2 weeks.  Wished i had gone back part time for the third week.  As for a birthday dinner, you aren't going to be able to eat, so that's not the best idea.  Time to start shifting the focus off food.  Either take her out now or plan an alternative (in my opinion).  

VSG on 04/28/2014

Tanya H.
on 1/14/15 5:06 am
VSG on 01/20/15

Thank you! You're right about shifting focus off food but I didn't want to short change her just because I made a decision for surgery. :(  She graduates this year so I told her we could do a vacation together in June, birthday/graduation celebration.

I really need help in finding alternatives to dinner and functions surrounding food. I'll definitely work on that.

dalessi729
on 1/14/15 12:36 pm

I was wondering some of the same things regarding pain and return to work. I am so lucky that my manager is so supportive of this journey. He is allowing me the week off for surgery and 2 additional weeks to work at home. I scheduled my date of surgery today and it is set. Booking my flight Friday. I'm on my way!! 

bedtime
on 1/14/15 2:42 pm, edited 1/14/15 2:43 pm - Cold Lake, Canada

Take her to a movie or shopping!

Elizabeth C.
on 1/14/15 4:57 am - Mansfield, TX

This was my experience, as you said everyone is different. :)

The first 2 days were HORRIBLE for me...  The 3rd day I woke up feeling so much better.  I went home that day and the pain wasn't to bad... but I was on paid medicine.  I stopped taking my pain medicine after 1 week because it made me so sick to my stomach.  I felt better not taking it at all.  I didn't drive until I left my 2 week appointment (my mom drove me there), they said I could have started driving when I stopped the pain medicine... as long as I felt up to it.  I felt like a new woman being able to drive.  I returned to work full time after about 3 1/2 weeks, but I was fortunate to be able to work from home a couple days a week after about 2 weeks.

I struggled getting in my water and protein... I just now this past week and a half have found my groove.  It takes time to figure out what works for you.

This is different for everyone... I see some post the day they are out of surgery up walking around, day 2 feeling great walking a lot and sip sip sip.  I could not do any of that and the last think I was thinking about was getting online. :)  I just wanted to sleep.

I wish you luck and success!!  I don't think you'll have a problem taking your daughter to dinner on her birthday, but you won't be able to eat anything... unless they have a brothy soup. :)

5'-5" ~ Lap Band 03/2008 Converted to Sleeve 11/6/2014 HW 296 Start Pre Op Diet for Sleeve 226 SW 217 -9 M1: 202 -15 M2: 196 -6 M3: 186 -10 M4: 180 -6 M5: 176 -4 M6: 171 -5 M7: 167 -4 M8: 165 -2 M9: 161 -4 M10: 158 -3 M11: 158 -0

Tanya H.
on 1/14/15 5:10 am
VSG on 01/20/15

:(  Sorry your experience was horrible. This sounds about equivalent to what I dealt with having my gall bladder out a few years ago, minus the diet changes.

Thank you for the encouragement! I'll come up with something else. I don't want to take her and have to sit and watch her eat. I'm thinking now that may be a bit too much too soon for me.

Great job on finding your groove! From what I've been reading on here, that's a big accomplishment! :)

Tanya

Elizabeth C.
on 1/14/15 5:12 am - Mansfield, TX

Thank you!  I came through and you'll do great too!

Maybe a movie and skip the popcorn. :)

It feels great to finally feel like I'm working the sleeve the way I'm supposed to!  I was trying before, it just wasn't coming together.

5'-5" ~ Lap Band 03/2008 Converted to Sleeve 11/6/2014 HW 296 Start Pre Op Diet for Sleeve 226 SW 217 -9 M1: 202 -15 M2: 196 -6 M3: 186 -10 M4: 180 -6 M5: 176 -4 M6: 171 -5 M7: 167 -4 M8: 165 -2 M9: 161 -4 M10: 158 -3 M11: 158 -0

Daelcare
on 1/14/15 6:13 am - Easley, SC
VSG on 10/27/14

I was one of the lucky ones!  No problems at all!  By the time the doctor came in the day after surgery to discharge me, I had showered, walked, sipped and finished my first (of many) Premier protein shakes!  Went home and went to the grocery store on the way.  Was at the gym the next morning...walking very slowly and resting frequently, but walking nonetheless!  No pain meds after they pulled my IV, so I was able to drive (and did) as soon as I got home.  Yes, you will feel like you've done 1000 crunches, but that's to be expected.  Walk, sip, rest, repeat as often as possible and you'll do great!

As far as the birthday party...I eat out frequently (2-3 times a week)...and have learned to find something at any restaurant that works.  I'm partial to soups because they're pretty filling and you can eat them slow!  Enjoy the party and don't focus on the food.  Follow your surgeon's plan...no freestyling...you'll be losing like crazy!!  Best of luck!

5'5" 64 year old; HW 219; SW 199; CW 129; GW 145ish (original)...now on to "ideal" (138)...got that...now a few spare (132)...got that one, too! Now for the 120's!! Made them...now for the "dream" weight...125! Well, that one's proving to be a little tougher!

Tanya H.
on 1/14/15 11:59 am
VSG on 01/20/15

Thank you! This really made me smile. You're pretty sassy for 60. I can only hope that my surgery and recovery goes as well as yours.

Tanya

Most Active
Expired Optifast Question
Freewheeler · 2 replies · 73 views