What's your take on sugar and carbs?

KathyA999
on 1/17/15 9:00 am

I'm in the very low carb camp, in fact I follow a ketogenic diet as closely as I can: fairly high fat, moderate protein, very low carb.  Not saying I'm perfect in that, but the carbs I do get come from nuts, seeds, veggies, and a small amount of fruit (I eat about a half-cup of blueberries in a smoothie most days).

Sugar, pretty much in any form (refined white, honey, HFCS, whatever) is a drug, as far as my system is concerned.  As you said, I react to it exactly the same way - a little makes me want more and more and more.  Refined grains are the same way for me, since they metabolize as sugar, so that leaves out pasta, most breads, and white rice.  But I've found that my body reacts to whole grains the same way, for some reason, so I just plain leave them out.

Not saying I'm perfect, I eat a bite of bread when out to dinner sometimes, and I have a few occasions during the year when I grant myself permission to eat small amounts of sugar and/or grains (and mashed potatoes, my other drug of choice).  But I pay for it in cravings.  I have discovered that eating a very small amount of sugar after or with my main protein/veggies doesn't have nearly as great an effect, craving-wise.  So I got that going for me.  Which is nice...

Like you, I've come to understand the poisonous effect of grains and sugar for myself, and I often want to share my secret with other people - often perfect strangers - but of course I would never do such a thing; each of us needs to come to our own conclusions about what's right for us.  Or not, as the case may be.  My only real job is to look after my own house, and share what works for me when asked.  Thanks for asking!  :-)

Height 5' 7"   High Wt 268 / Consult Wt 246 / Surgery Wt 241 / Goal Wt 150 / Happy place 135-137 / Current Wt 143
Tracker starts at consult weight       

In maintenance since December 2011.

Beth Of Fletchair
on 1/17/15 9:06 am, edited 1/17/15 9:06 am
with

I don't see the point of eating sugar when you can substitute Truvia.  Processed carbs are like a binge drug to me.  I am happier, healthier and calmer without them.  I am gradually leaving whole grains behind as well.  Everything works so much better for me when I get my limited carbs from fruit, veggies and legumes. I am currently eating about 30 to 50 grams a day.

momsy55
on 1/17/15 11:40 am - ME

I stay away from refined sugars.  I know that if I allow myself sugar, it's all over.  My demons get stronger and stronger when I eat sugar.  Even during the past few months, as I've been struggling, I knew I couldn't open that Pandora's box.  I flirted with it, just a wee bit at Christmas, and I could feel those demons stirring.  I hate to admit it, as being honest here requires me to stay honest, but even certain no sugar added foods, like ice cream and cooked pudding sets me up to want more.  I also have found that refined carbs in general have been part of my problem, as I crave more and more.   I do best when my carbs are on the lower side and are more complex.  During the weight loss phase, staying within those guidelines was relatively easy.  It was in maintenance, while trying to find the right balance , that I lost my way.  So it's back to what works. 

HW (recorded) 323  Start of Journey 298.9  SW 263.6  CW 177.8  GW 180 

happyteacher
on 1/17/15 9:20 pm

You have a good point about products that don't use sugar, but sugar substitutes. I have just as much trouble with these as I do the real deal- it may be more accurate for me to describe myself as being addicted to sweet, rather than sugar. My NUT pointed this out a few years ago and when I reduced my overal sweet consumption (drop the sweetner in drinks and such) the cravings completely disappear. sigh. Coffee just isn't the same though. 

Surgeon: Chengelis  Surgery on 12/19/2011  A little less carb eating compared to my weight loss phase loose sleever here!

1Mo: -21  2Mo: -16  3Mo: -12  4MO - 13  5MO: -11 6MO: -10 7MO: -10.3 8MO: -6  Goal in 8 months 4 days!!   6' 2''  EWL 103%  Starting size 28 or 4x (tight) now size 12 or large, shoe size 12 w to 10.5   150+ pounds lost  

Join the Instant Pot Pressure Cooker group for recipes and tips! Click here to join!

momsy55
on 1/17/15 10:23 pm - ME

Sweets were always my first choice, and I would joke that ice cream was my favorite beverage!  I just read about a frozen dessert product that has very few carbs and calories, and I found myself plotting "now I can eat so much of that blah, blah. blah".  For today, I'm staying away, as I could find myself rationalizing that I can eat the whole pint.  Even the adds say "only 150 calories per pint", pandering to those of us who can't do just one serving.  I have a defective turn off valve when it comes to certain foods, especially sweet ones.  Sometimes it works fine, other times not so much, but eventually, like all defective valves, it stops working at all.   So for today, I need to not even go there.  Luckily, I've been fortunate that I can use sweeteners in things such as coffee and yogurt.  I feel for you with the coffee! :) 

HW (recorded) 323  Start of Journey 298.9  SW 263.6  CW 177.8  GW 180 

ald731
on 1/17/15 10:03 pm
VSG on 04/07/14

I'm in the camp of no sugar/no starch - so a little more hardcore than just no grains. I've, honestly, never felt better. This may have been an even more important change in my life than the surgery. I've been successful at losing weight in the past, and I thought long and hard about why I regained the weight, and came to the conclusions that sugar and starches were my downfall.  They also do really bad things to my digestive system now when I have the *rare* treat. It's just not worth it, and I've made some amazing grain free/sugar free desserts, so there's really no need for that other crap.  I'm hoping I'll be able to incorporate more of the butternut squash/sweet potato type carbs in maintenance, but I have no intention of adding grains or refined sugar back into my diet - from a GI perspective as much as a weight control measure.

April:  HW- 323, SW-310, CW-159 (as of 9/25/15), Goal- 140; Pre-op (-13), M1 (-17), M2 (-16), M3 (-14), M4 (-13), M5 (-12), M6 (-8), M7 (-12), M8 (-8), M9 (-8), M10 (-5), M11 (-7), M12 (-5), M13 (-7), M14 (-0), M15 (-1), M16 (-5), M17 (-5)

drea29
on 1/17/15 11:25 pm

I could have written the post.(but not as well)  Sugar is a trigger and throws my body into a feeding frenzy.  I also noticed the inflammatory  effects as mentioned.  the next day my joints ache and feel swollen. So this is what I remember when I get tempted.  I ask myself how are you going to feel after you eat this both physically and emotionally.  I was a volume eater before surgery and this is something I still struggle with 21/2 years post op.  So I have found even without the sugar and carbs I still will overeat on clean food.  I keep my carbs below 50.  I have added a bit more fat as being on a low sodium, low carb and low fat diet is not pleasurable. My carbs come from oatmeal and blueberries for breakfast.  I ate this all during my weight loss phase and continue in maintenance. The rest of the carbs are green veggies and nuts. I don't do bread, pasta potatoes etc.  I really do feel so much better.  Eating what my body needs instead of what my head wants is my plan. I do not do this perfectly, but I do it more than I don't.

Grim_Traveller
on 1/17/15 11:58 pm
RNY on 08/21/12

I think sugar is delicious.

Being really low carb takes work. Most meals have "incidental" carbs that just go along for the ride. Some are healthy carbs, like those from veggies, but most aren't.

I think if it weren't for the constsnt reminder to eat protein, I think half of al postops (and people on very low calorie diets in general) would get almost no protein. Most people could have an almost zero protein intake without trying. But going super low carb takes effort, focus, and dedication.

My experience so far is this: I have a calorie goal each day, and my intake is naturally protein focused. As a result, my carbs are really low, usually about 20% of my daily calories. So I don't TRY to be low carb. But my calories are controlled, my protein is high, and I ignore fat. Therefore my carbs end up being low.

That being said, when I pause my plan for a day for a holiday or whatever, my calories go up. And the additional calories are more like 90% carbs.

6'3" tall, male.

Highest weight was 475. RNY on 08/21/12. Current weight: 198.

M1 -24; M2 -21; M3 -19; M4 -21; M5 -13; M6 -21; M7 -10; M8 -16; M9 -10; M10 -8; M11 -6; M12 -5.

Julia HasHerLifeNow
on 1/18/15 12:46 am
VSG on 10/09/12

I do exactly as Grim described. I actually don't have a calorie goal daily. I just make sure I get lots and lots of protein - breakfast lunch and dinner has to be protein based. Then there really is no room for much else save some vegetables. And yes, the carbs that go along for the ride. I did a spot check yesterday and logged my day and was at about 1400 calories so all is well in maintenance. I also don't worry about fat. 

View more of my photos at ObesityHelp.com 5ft0; highest weight 222; surgery weight 208; current weight 120

Gwen M.
on 1/18/15 1:05 am
VSG on 03/13/14

I avoid refined and processed carbs as much as I can. I also avoid added fructose and artificial sweeteners. I do this because I believe these things are unhealthy for everyone. 

I do eat unrefined carbs, even potatoes, but I focus my meals on protein which means I never have a lot of room for other stuff. 

This works well for me. (I don't track carbs - I just track protein and keep my meals to 4 ounces three times a day.)

VSG with Dr. Salameh - 3/13/2014
Diagnosed with Binge Eating Disorder and started Vyvanse - 7/22/2016
Reconstructive Surgeries with Dr. Michaels - 6/5/2017 (LBL & brachioplasty), 8/14/2017 (UBL & mastopexy), 11/6/2017 (medial leg lift)

Age 42 Height 5'4" HW 319 (1/3/2014) SW 293 (3/13/2014) CW 149 (7/16/2017)
Next Goal 145 - normal BMI | Total Weight Lost 170

TrendWeight | Food Blog (sort of functional) | Journal (down for maintenance)

Most Active
Expired Optifast Question
Freewheeler · 2 replies · 95 views