Antacids

TeressaJ
on 2/11/15 11:31 am

I am almost 8 months post op and take omeprazole twice each day, dr orders,  without fail. I stopped taking them when I was 2 months out and regretted it terribly so started again. I'm wondering if any veterans out there can tell me if there will come a time when I won't have to take it anymore. Maybe just chew a Tums on occasion? Or will this be a 'for the rest of my life' pill? I know everyone is different but what have you experienced? I'm interested.

happytoloose
on 2/11/15 1:29 pm

I quit taking them about three months out, definitely improved the reflux problem. I take a few Tums every other day or so, mostly for the calcium.

I never experienced heartburn or reflux in my life before surgery. I have however, since the sleeve. I'm finding ways to avoid it.

The big one is not drinking before, or after eating. At least 15 min or so. No gulping the liquids anymore.

Last food at least an hour and a half before bedtime.

Almost zero carbs, they seem to set the burn in motion.

I just think its part of the learning curve.

Something is working, cause its coming off.

ROD

Tracy D.
on 2/12/15 12:16 am - Papillion, NE
VSG on 05/24/13

The answer is: "it depends".  I've had to continue with 20mg of Protonix and will try weaning off it completely in the next month or so.  These are the things that definitely make my acid situation worse: 

1.  Drinking cold liquids - I need them room temp or warm 

2.  Anything tomato-based

3.  Eating close to bed time 

4.  Laying down after eating 

5.  Sugar or white flour 

Tracy  5'3"     HW: 235  SW: 218  CW: 132    M1: -22  M2: -13  M3: -12  M4: -9  M5: -8   M6: -10   M7: -4

Goal reached in 7 months and 1 week

Lower Body Lift w/Dr. Barnthouse 7-8-15

emelar
on 2/12/15 1:22 am - TX

Did you try weaning yourself off them?  You can't quit antacids/ppis cold turkey.  If you do, your acid production goes into overdrive.  Try doing regular dose one day, and half a dose the next and just keep reducing and see what happens.

TeressaJ
on 2/12/15 11:36 am

Thank you for the comments! I will be trying these and paying more attention to when I what I eat.

TeressaJ
on 2/12/15 11:37 am

Thank you for the comments! I will be trying these and paying even more attention to when and what I eat.

Most Active
Expired Optifast Question
Freewheeler · 2 replies · 63 views