Almost 8 Years Out- Looking for people 5+ years out

Elisabethb
on 5/11/15 9:24 am - Atlanta, GA
Hello,

None of you probably recognize me because I do not post here anymore. I have returned here and there over the last couple years but haven't posted regularly for at least 4 years or more.

It is so exciting that VSG has taken off and is helping SO many people but it seems that a lot of the old timers have disappeared in the same way that I did.

I would love to connect with some people that are 5 or more years out to share our experiences and how we are doing today.

For those of you that are preo*****t as far along out wondering what life might be like after 7 years out- I am doing okay. I lost 140 pounds and maintained for a few years. A few years ago I gained 30 pounds and have mostly maintained since then. I would like to get those 30 pounds off though. I mostly feel like a normal person trying to lose weight these days. That being said, I do feel like I am not typical in that I would be gaining more if I wasn't sleeved. So the weight loss feels just as difficult as someone that has not had WLS but I still benefit in the regain department. I still consider my sleeve a HUGE success. It is the best thing I could have ever done and I would highly recommend it to anyone.

My restriction is still mysterious to me. While I know that when I eat dense protein my restriction is best, that is not always the case. I could eat the same exact foods two days in a row and one day I may be able to eat much less of it then the day before. I haven't quite figured it out. Sometimes I can't finish a 4 ounce steak on its own but sometimes I can eat more than 4 ounces of steak along with vegetables.

I usually eat enough that I don't appear to be a person with WLS but just a normal person that eats smaller to normal size portions. I have a boyfriend of 9 months that has never questioned my eating. He doesn't know about my sleeve at this time.

As far as how things have gone medically: I had my gallbladder removed at about 9 months out. I struggle with GERD which runs in my family but the sleeve has worsened. I take nexium every single day and if I do not, I feel it. I am on Vitamin D and B-12 but other than that I have remained perfectly healthy.

Please reach out if you are someone that is farther out or I would be happy to answer any questions for those of you that are not.
Reached onderland on March 13, 2008!!!!!
(deactivated member)
on 5/11/15 10:32 am

While I'm not a 5 + year out VSGer, I wanted to say how nice it is that you popped by and gave an update on where you are today. It's so important for those of us to know what the future holds.

I'm glad to know you are doing so well.

T Hagalicious Rebel
Brown

on 5/11/15 11:10 am - Brooklyn
VSG on 04/25/14 with

Hi, Glad you stopped by, hope you stick around for awhile. Sorry about the regain but you're in good company. There's a back on track forum that I think Kathy runs with plenty of people who can give tips & support to help you get the weight back off.

No one surgery is better than the other, what works for one may not work for another. T-Rebel

https://fivedaymeattest.com/

PaulaToronto
on 5/11/15 4:17 pm - Toronto, Canada

There is at least one private facebook group for those 3+ years out. It is quite busy and we have several subgroups - one which is accountability for those of us trying to lose some regain.  PM me if you want the admin address. I can't add you on my own. 

Highest W 312   Referral W 252   Surgery W 237   CW 156  Height 5'6"            

Elisabethb
on 5/13/15 6:22 am - Atlanta, GA
Thanks Paula! I sent you a PM
Reached onderland on March 13, 2008!!!!!
Nura777
on 2/6/17 2:32 am

Hi Paula, 

I am in Toronto too and would love to connect to hear more about your journey. 

Tried to PM you but it's not working.

cbohacz
on 5/12/15 5:02 am

Hello...  I'm 6 years out!  I have some of the same issues you do, one day I can eat more than the day before.  Dense protein fills me up faster.  My biggest issue are snacks....  I would love to chat with you.  As you, I'm very happy I had the sleeve, otherwise I would still be 310 pounds or more...  :)

Jp2lose
on 5/12/15 12:12 pm - Omaha, NE
HI! I'm a little more than 5 years out. I'm like you. I can eat more on some days than others and it's a mystery to me as to why. I think hormones play a role and how truly hungry I am when I start to eat.

Last year at this time I was about 25 pounds heavier than I am right now. 10 pounds of that was from a medication I was trying for migraines. It came back off after I stopped the medicine, but very slowly and with a watchful eye to what I was eating. The other 15 I've lost since this last January from sticking to a Paleo diet to control my migraines and from training for a 1/2 marathon. The first month of my training and Paleo diet I didn't lose anything! When I added a probiotic the weight started dropping off. I don't know why, but I guess it's what my body needed.

PM me if you want to chat!

Jen

robinreinhardt
on 5/12/15 1:00 pm

Hi Jen,

What probiotic do you take? I am constantly constipated since surgery. Sorry about the TMI. Were you as well? Thank you in advance for your time. 

Robin

Jp2lose
on 5/12/15 4:07 pm - Omaha, NE
I was having the opposite problem I'm taking Primadophilus Optima Max Potency by Nature's Way. It has 100 Billion Active Probiotics and says its for digestive support and immune health on the box. I get it at a local store - Natural Grocers because it has to be refrigerated. I ordered some off Amazon once and they came in my mail box, but it said it was supposed to be refrigerated for max potency so I only buy it local now. If I remember right it says on the back of the box it helps with both diarrhea and constipation.

I still try to get to my local support group and in January the PA from my doctor's office said we should all be on a probiotic and one probiotic is equivalent to eating four Activia yogurts. She did not say what strength or type, I bought this one because of my particular issues. I stopped on my home and bought some! Good luck!

Most Active
Expired Optifast Question
Freewheeler · 2 replies · 74 views