Any post ops have hypoglycemia?

Jackie P.
on 6/11/15 8:23 am - Hamilton, Canada
VSG on 04/10/13

I have been getting hypoglycemia for about 8 months. I'm 2 years out... Anyone else? What is causing it?!! 

My menu so far today:

6am - some watermelon, tea with cream and splenda
6:45 - turkey pepperrette
9:00 - egg, latte with sugartwin
10:00 - light babybel
10:15 - latte with sugartwin
11:00 - turkey pepperette

11:15 - low of 3.2

Surgery Date: April 10, 2013 • VSG

www.fatfornow.com

Tracy D.
on 6/11/15 8:31 am - Papillion, NE
VSG on 05/24/13

I definitely have had times where I bottom out.  Here's my observations on what you've listed for food: 

I would never start the morning off with fruit - ever.  Not unless there was some solid protein in my stomach first.  It's a real fast way to spike and then quickly drop your sugars.  

The artificial sweeteners aren't doing you any favors.  My internist says the body still "reads" it as sweet so the pancreas will dump insulin into the body, which will then drop your glucose.  

Wait to eat fruit until after you've had some protein and dump your artificial sweeteners.  Start there and see what happens.  

Tracy  5'3"     HW: 235  SW: 218  CW: 132    M1: -22  M2: -13  M3: -12  M4: -9  M5: -8   M6: -10   M7: -4

Goal reached in 7 months and 1 week

Lower Body Lift w/Dr. Barnthouse 7-8-15

Jackie P.
on 6/11/15 8:48 am - Hamilton, Canada
VSG on 04/10/13

Thanks Tracy!

I'm an artificial sweetener junkie... I don't usually eat fruit in the morning. i didn't yesterday and I still got a low, but I did the same routine of sweetener. I really hate the idea of letting it go. Could I substitute stevia, do you think? (I hate stevia, but I don't mind truvia).

They originally told me to eat more carbs, especially in the morning, and I did that, but it continued to happen.  

I hate to admit it, but the constant in my diet is artificial sweetener... But I can eat the same things, and one day it will happen, and then not. Sometimes I go  a week without a low, and then, like this week, a few times in a week...

www.fatfornow.com

Tracy D.
on 6/11/15 9:21 am - Papillion, NE
VSG on 05/24/13

You could try stevia, you only need a touch of it.  And perhaps adding more carbs would help but it all depends on the TYPE of carb - adding in fruit and grain carbs is probably just going to make the problem worse.  

Do a search on here for "reactive hypoglycemia" and read some of the older posts.  I know there's several people on here who've had major issues with this and have suggested good strategies for dealing with it.  

Tracy  5'3"     HW: 235  SW: 218  CW: 132    M1: -22  M2: -13  M3: -12  M4: -9  M5: -8   M6: -10   M7: -4

Jackie P.
on 6/12/15 6:08 am - Hamilton, Canada
VSG on 04/10/13

I'm confused, because the clinic told me it wasn't reactive hypoglycemia.... ugh... 

www.fatfornow.com

Tracy D.
on 6/12/15 7:00 am - Papillion, NE
VSG on 05/24/13

And maybe it's not...but I think the info these other people discussed in previous threads regarding how they handle hypoglycemia of any sort will be helpful for you.  

happyteacher
on 6/12/15 7:32 am

I use Stevia, and let me say that not all Stevia is equal. There literally is only one brand that I will buy- and I positively love it! Here is a link for it, and a fantastic price at the moment... I paid $20 for my bag originally. My bag (not sure of ounces so perhaps it is a larger size?) has literally lasted me a couple of months, with months to go... and me and my coffee guzzling daughters use it daily. Only use a tiny amount, or it can get bitter... I keep a 1/8 of a teaspoon measuring spoon in it, and use less than half of that for a mug of coffee. 

Surgeon: Chengelis  Surgery on 12/19/2011  A little less carb eating compared to my weight loss phase loose sleever here!

1Mo: -21  2Mo: -16  3Mo: -12  4MO - 13  5MO: -11 6MO: -10 7MO: -10.3 8MO: -6  Goal in 8 months 4 days!!   6' 2''  EWL 103%  Starting size 28 or 4x (tight) now size 12 or large, shoe size 12 w to 10.5   150+ pounds lost  

Join the Instant Pot Pressure Cooker group for recipes and tips! Click here to join!

happyteacher
on 6/12/15 7:28 am

Agree! Not all sweetners will mess with you, so it may be worth tracking your levels to figure out what works. Also, I took a couple of weeks last summer and religiously documented what I ate, and took readings to really pinpoint what was causing spikes and drops. It was very telling. For example, if I start the morning only with a Premier Protein shake, my blood sugar dropped. Pasta officially wrecks me. I never start the day with anything higher on the glycemic index because it is just a recipe for a really bad day. Small meals/snacks works awesome for me. 

Surgeon: Chengelis  Surgery on 12/19/2011  A little less carb eating compared to my weight loss phase loose sleever here!

1Mo: -21  2Mo: -16  3Mo: -12  4MO - 13  5MO: -11 6MO: -10 7MO: -10.3 8MO: -6  Goal in 8 months 4 days!!   6' 2''  EWL 103%  Starting size 28 or 4x (tight) now size 12 or large, shoe size 12 w to 10.5   150+ pounds lost  

Join the Instant Pot Pressure Cooker group for recipes and tips! Click here to join!

Tracy D.
on 6/12/15 7:40 am - Papillion, NE
VSG on 05/24/13

Me too, Happy!  

Jackie P.
on 6/12/15 8:05 am - Hamilton, Canada
VSG on 04/10/13

Any idea what I should look for in a stevia, if I try to buy it at a health food store? 

www.fatfornow.com

Most Active
Expired Optifast Question
Freewheeler · 2 replies · 68 views