Hoping to get Insurance approval for lap band revision to sleeve!

GuyMontag
on 2/16/16 11:37 am

In 2009 I paid $16,000 out of pocket to get the lap band and lost 127lbs.  Although I had heartburn and GERD every day, I managed to keep most of the weight off for over 5 years.  However, I finally couldn't take the heartburn anymore and had some fluid taken out of my band.  I immediately gained weight.  I've been out of work for the last year and since I'm on state health insurance I decided I would try to get approval for revision surgery.  My sixth diet class will be in March and I'm hoping to submit everything to insurance for approval right after that.  Unfortunately, I have gained weight while on the supervised diet because I do not have any fluid in my band.  However, I've been told that losing weight isn't a requirement for my insurance so I'm hopeful that I will not get denied.  Hopefully, I can get approved and have the revision surgery quickly because I want to get back into the workforce which will probably entail me getting different insurance than may not cover the surgery.  I've paid out of pocket once and I'd rather not do it again if I can help it.

So, any tips on what it's like going from the band to the sleeve?  Unfortunately, I can eat whatever I want now with my fluid out.  But, I still follow the band rules such as not eating with meals, etc.  I'm wondering how restrictive my diet will be with the sleeve.  One thing that I found annoying with the band is that it completely disrupted my ability to eat like a 'normal' person.  What I mean by that is going out to a restaurant or over to someone's house became such a chore because I couldn't eat about 90% of what was served and what I could eat took me FOREVER to eat.  Just curious how much of a lifestyle change comes with the sleeve vs. the band.  Any tips would be appreciated.  Thanks!

mmsmom
on 2/16/16 11:43 am - Woburn, MA

I revised from a band to the sleeve and it is 1000% better.  No more stuck episodes or discomfort eating.  It did take my new little stomach a while to heal and unlike some other sleevers, I have a difficult time eating fibrous things like pineapple or raw veggies... Good luck - my insurance covered the band removal - (classified as a failed band) and then separately covered the vsg.  It takes a while to realize - hey, I can eat shrimp again!! and other band-like problems that go away.  I was able to get to my ultimate goal with the vsg, something I was never able to do with the band.  Good luck.

VSG on 04/28/2014

GuyMontag
on 2/16/16 11:58 am

That's very encouraging.  Thank you!

C J
on 2/16/16 2:40 pm - , TN

I love my sleeve.  I just posted something on lap band board about revision.  I hope I don't get kicked off, but my stomach was so damaged I felt I needed to share.  You will love it.

CJ

Living > Existing

256/231/135

michele1
on 2/17/16 4:33 pm
Revision on 07/07/15

I was revised in July....the sleeve is everything I thought the band should have been and then some!!! I feel normal now!!

Lapband 6/08 90 pounds lost!  Band slip and esophageal dilation diagnosed 5/15

LapBand removed, hernia repaired and sleeved 7/8/15

Most Active
Recent Topics
Pain
michele1 · 3 replies · 177 views
Expired Optifast Question
Freewheeler · 2 replies · 451 views
Back - AGAIN - 14+ years post-op
Stacy160 · 4 replies · 475 views