What should I ask the surgeon today?

breezy25
on 3/2/16 9:02 am

I have my first surgical consult today - I'm self paying so I don't have to jump through all the ins hoops.

But...I'm kind of drawing a blank here as to what to ask the Dr when I meet him this afternoon. I'm going to ask him if he's had a patient die before because that's what comes to mind. I'm scared!

Any tips? I don't want to kick myself later for not asking something obvious.

obioxiupa
on 3/2/16 9:46 am

I didn't have any questions in my first meeting with the surgeon either!  Since though, I've learned more, and will ask some more questions next time.

I want to know more about how they handle leaks that occur, and what the long term prognosis of patients who develop leaks.

I want to know more about how they close up the stomach where the stomach is removed.

I want to know more about realistic time frames for back to work.

I want to know the Dr.'s view point on long term complications on VSG vs RNY.

I want to know the Dr.'s opinion on top items successful patients do.

I want to know how big he will make my stomach.

Good luck!

Steph Meat Hag
on 3/2/16 9:46 am - Dallas , TX
VSG on 03/14/16 with
  • Ask for a copy of what he/she gives patients to read over for pre and post op eating and care
  • Does he have any support groups or work out groups he recommends his patients attend 
  • How long will your stay be and which hospital does he use 
  • Appox how long is he scheduling out his patients 
  • Will you need to have other test done such as sleep study, nutritionist, psychologist, and so on
  • How often will he want to see you post op

Age:40|Height: 5'9"|Lap Band 2/11/08 |Revision VSG 3/14/16

The cake is a lie, but Starbucks is not.

https://fivedaymeattest.com

L. 68
on 3/2/16 11:30 am

Does your doctors office require or have a Pre-Operative class?  Mine does i had to pay 60.00 for it that insurance doesn't cover but well worth it..  

There you have all the patients that are going to have surgery , thinking about surgery or just there to support a family or friend.  

There is a surgeon and nutritionist there.  the surgeon spoke about the whole process from admissions to leaving the hospital including (test, how long the surgery actually takes, medications,  the sizing of the sleeve and how they sleeve, the leaks ect. ect.  )  and of course patients questions and answers time. Then the nutritionist speaks on everything pre an post dietary..(all the stages, samples of what you will need to purchase(if you dont have it already) ect ect...  

But if they dont have that class you can get them all answered here or write them down to ask your doctor and your next visit, thats what i did because if not i would forget everything...Now a days you have to be prepared because i find that these doctor visits get shorter and shorter like your racing (its sad) i ve had to tell a doctor (for something else) to slow down i went to see a doctor and before i knew it he was giving me a pat on my back and told me that he is going to make me feel better (pain management) i felt like someone blind folded me spun me once took of the blind fold and before i knew it i was driving home.  (lol  just writing this down made me laugh)  it's terrible out there so be prepared to slow the doctor down and make him listen and answer your questions thoroughly.

Good Luck

"Your not a failure if you fall your a failure if you fall and don't get up"

" Beauty is Pain"

breezy25
on 3/2/16 10:08 am

Ah thank you so much! I knew I should come here for answers. I was drawing a blank!

fruitpunch615
on 3/2/16 12:55 pm

Hello, please do not be afraid.  The sleeve is a purely restrictive alternative approach to gastric bypass.  Back in 2005 I had a VBG also known as a vertical banded gastroplasty or vertical sleeve.  The surgeon is one of the pioneers of bariatric surgery and was the best in the field at the time.  Since 2005 great strides have been made in this field and the procedures are now happening with little of no fatalities the percentage of death is less than 1% but it does occur.  Within the first year I lost a total of 160 lbs and was down from 313 to 153 over the past 10 years I only gained 1 to 2 lbs. annually and my highest weight since 05 was 165 in 2012 when I was pregnant with my now 4 yr old son.  Recently, I had a few cosmetic procedures to remove the excess skin that didn't go so well so I am dealing with it.  I will be visiting a bariatric surgeon next week because I believe the PS who did my cosmetic work did something that may have affected my sleeve.  I will keep you posted but best of luck to you.

FP

breezy25
on 3/2/16 3:12 pm

That is really encouraging! Do you follow a low carb lifestyle?

fruitpunch615
on 3/3/16 11:33 am

Absolutely,  for the first 6 or 7 years I lived a very healthy life style that involved a healthy diet and a lot of physical activity.   Lately I have been eating what ever when ever and I have not been as active.  About two years ago I resumed drinking soda which was not a good thing. I don't know whats going on with me but I am getting ready to get my mind right because I do not want to risk being obese again.  I have come way to far in this journey to go back.  I joined planet fitness yesterday and I also joined massage envy so I will be working out regularly and getting a massage once or twice a month.  today I ate a salad for lunch but I had a whole bagel for breakfast :(  I am going to get back on track because ummmmm I just cant go back to 313

breezy25
on 3/2/16 3:11 pm

Omg I'm freaking out a little! I got a surgery date while I was there - April 4th!! It's right around the corner.

He said that he anchors the sleeve to some tissue in your abdomen so it doesn't run the risk of becoming kinked or you getting a hernia (there was a name for it but I can't remember it). So that's an extra step he takes to ensure you don't have some of the more known complications. Also, a FOUR week liquid diet afterwards to minimize leakage risk. Holy crap! That's a long time.

fruitpunch615
on 3/3/16 4:08 pm

April is right around the corner but you will be ok.  How long will you be out of commission?  

Most Active
Expired Optifast Question
Freewheeler · 2 replies · 65 views