2 years+ post op, now GERD?!?

merwyns
on 5/7/16 3:51 pm
VSG on 01/14/14 with

Hi all, long time no post. I have always been more of a lurker, but I'm looking for some first hand experience and perhaps advice. The title says it all. I graduated last year from Nexium to Protonix, and then last week from one pill to two pills of it. And it's just not cutting it. I'm belching, constantly hungry/wanting to soothe my stomach. Nothing seems to be helping.

I'm starting to worry about a hiatal hernia. I had a small one repaired during my surgery. I was a lightweight to begin with and have been at goal since 9 months out. I gained a bit in year two in part due to being forced on a modified bed rest for 6 months due to an unrelated medical condition. But I, got to a good weight for the next six months. But five pound have popped back on this month as my symptoms have become bad.

Anyone get GERD this uncomfortable? How about this bad that didn't require surgery? If you needed surgery, what kind worked? Anyone NOT have to go to bypass?

Many thanks!

~Merrie

H.A.L.A B.
on 5/7/16 6:17 pm, edited 5/7/16 1:25 pm

Some people need PPI 3 times s day. 

There is also stronger PPI, dexilant. 

sometimes GERD maybe due to hernia...or good allergies. (the suppose to be: food allergies) 

Get tested for allergies. 

Of course I meant FOOD allergies... Not "good" allergies...  Stupid tablet..

Hala. RNY 5/14/2008; Happy At Goal =HAG

"I can eat or do anything I want to - as long as I am willing to deal with the consequences"

"Failure is not falling down, It is not getting up once you fell... So pick yourself up, dust yourself off, and start all over again...."

T Hagalicious Rebel
Brown

on 5/7/16 6:53 pm - Brooklyn
VSG on 04/25/14 with

I'll stick with bad allergies. lol 

No one surgery is better than the other, what works for one may not work for another. T-Rebel

https://fivedaymeattest.com/

H.A.L.A B.
on 5/7/16 8:25 pm

Damn it.. Stupid autocorrect..

But in a way some food allergies / intolerances made stay away from those foods..  The 2- 3 day long lasting side  effects are not worth 5 to 15 min of eating pleasure ... 

"I can eat or do anything I want to - as long as I am willing to deal with the consequences"

"Failure is not falling down, It is not getting up once you fell... So pick yourself up, dust yourself off, and start all over again...."

merwyns
on 5/7/16 9:36 pm
VSG on 01/14/14 with

Thank you for the suggestions. I'll talk to my doc if the current changes in meds don't do the tric****rtainly would prefer that to going under the knife again. And I hadn't thought of food allergies, so I'll consider that too. If prefer not to have to give up caffeine, that's for sure. But I can easily cut it to one cup of coffee per day.

~Merrie

H.A.L.A B.
on 5/8/16 8:04 am

Coffee is very accidic. I love my coffee but it affects my gut. I have add things to my coffee to neutralize the avif. Even just a little. 

I found "calciblend coffee tamer". http://www.amazon.com/s/?ie=UTF8&keywords=calciblend+coffee+ tamer&tag=googhydr-20&index=aps&hvadid=71799315156&hvpos=1t1 &hvexid=&hvnetw=g&hvrand=7507247850139934241&hvpone=&hvptwo= &hvqmt=e&hvdev=t&ref=pd_sl_1xzbacs8jh_e

That helps some or I use unsweet almond or coconut milk as creamer.  

In addition - I use some meds every day. Very small pills. My pharmacy changed the generic manufacturer and suddenly I developed a horrible acid reflux.  Every meds use fillers. What I discovered - the other manufacturer uses SLS while the first one did not. We are not sure if the very very small amount of SLS in my meds is making my GERD so horrible, but for now I am back on the other brand and the acid is manageable.

Sometimes it is very difficult to find out what is upseting our system. 

I do hope you find an answer. 

Btw- I have RNY and no hernia, and in theory I should not have any GERD...Thats why my doc and I knew there is an issue with something my body does not tolerate... 

Donna L.
on 5/19/16 8:18 pm - Chicago, IL
Revision on 02/19/18

You can brew the coffee with some baking soda in the grounds too, to reduce acidity :)

I follow a ketogenic diet post-op. I also have a diagnosis of binge eating disorder. Feel free to ask me about either!

It is not that we have so little time but that we lose so much...the life we receive is not short but we make it so; we are not ill provided but use what we have wastefully. -- Seneca, On the Shortness of Life

H.A.L.A B.
on 5/20/16 3:37 am

Thanks. Great idea.

I use a coffee maker that grinds the beans so cannot add it there. But I can try adding a pinch of baking soda to the finish coffee. Plus I use powdered calcium carbonate - that is a main ingredients in the "coffee tamer" anyway. 

happyteacher
on 5/21/16 4:50 am

That is how it progressed for me. I had a hernia repaired during the vsg. For a while the acid levels were getting worse, and by this past summer I couldn't keep solid food down. I also had the gallbladder tanking on me during that time, which contributed immensely to not keeping food down. What was very different over the summer, was the acid and the relationship to a huge spike in my eating. I gained quite a bit, and for the first time in maintenance went above goal weight and struggled. I had the belching and constant need to eat as well, along with diarrhea and stomach pain. When they took the gallbladder out, they repaired the hernia this past December. I had a "very large" hernia this time (compared to a small one at vsg) and most of the stomach was up in the chest area. I frankly cannot tell you much about how he fixed it, other than I do recall he mentioned using mesh. He did warn it was a lot riskier the second time through. I am still symptomatic though, and suspect I may be partially herniated again. At the last consult, he said the risk of going back in was high so unless I was crazy symptomatic it would be left alone. I now take a PPI daily, but was at least able to cut back from twice a day to once a day. I have tried a few times to not take it at all, but the acid is clearly an issue without it. 

If it were me, I would get it checked if you have good insurance. You need an upper GI. Being scoped could easily miss it, as I was scoped maybe 2 months prior to the upper gi and it did not find the hernia despite it being so large. Upper gi and the CT scan picked it up though. 

Surgeon: Chengelis  Surgery on 12/19/2011  A little less carb eating compared to my weight loss phase loose sleever here!

1Mo: -21  2Mo: -16  3Mo: -12  4MO - 13  5MO: -11 6MO: -10 7MO: -10.3 8MO: -6  Goal in 8 months 4 days!!   6' 2''  EWL 103%  Starting size 28 or 4x (tight) now size 12 or large, shoe size 12 w to 10.5   150+ pounds lost  

Join the Instant Pot Pressure Cooker group for recipes and tips! Click here to join!

Most Active
Expired Optifast Question
Freewheeler · 2 replies · 82 views