Has anyone had the VSG with a Hiatal Hernia

Donna L.
on 1/21/18 9:24 am - Chicago, IL
Revision on 02/19/18

A good surgeon operates as little as possible and is conservative, usually.

In my case, I had no signs of GERD pre-op, too. The problem is that there's almost always GERD with a hiatal hernia and obesity, so you may have had it for some time. I know it's frustrating, but trust me when I say that having a hiatal hernia and a sleeve for 2 1/2 years has been exceptionally annoying.

Sadly, the hiatal hernia repair plus a sleeve is no guarantee it will remove the GERD permanently, and a sleeve is already high pressure. Consider what he says and get a second opinion if you are so inclined. However, no one knows how your body will resolve it. 25% of sleevers develop GERD regardless of what they do, and many argue long-term PPI use isn't ideal.

I follow a ketogenic diet post-op. I also have a diagnosis of binge eating disorder. Feel free to ask me about either!

It is not that we have so little time but that we lose so much...the life we receive is not short but we make it so; we are not ill provided but use what we have wastefully. -- Seneca, On the Shortness of Life

CC C.
on 1/21/18 10:13 am

I had a hiatal hernia repaired with my VSG, but it didn't fix it and it came back. So I had a second surgery 10 months later to fix it again. That was last month, I'm still waiting to find out if that worked. I would listen to your surgeon if you trust them. The reason my surgeon wanted to fix mine again so soon was that he said they get bigger with time and the biggee they get, the harder it gets to fix them until they can't be repaired. I wonder if yours happened to reach the "can't be repaired" stage...

ItsTimeNow99
on 1/22/18 10:56 am

My surgeon at Tufts Medical Center in Boston repaired my hiatal hernia when she did my VSG. It's been fabulous!!! No reflux, heartburn, gerd, even when eating super spicy dishes. It's been over a year and absolutely no issues.

*** Not sure how he discovered the hiatal hernia when lifting the liver. It normally is in the area where the esophagus attaches to the stomach, not that low. Maybe you have an inguinal hernia, which deals with the intestines.

I'd double check with your surgeon.

Good luck!!

Pat

HW -265; SW - 251; CW - 154

Surgery Date- 10/12/2016!!

happyteacher
on 1/22/18 3:36 pm

I had a hernia repaired at surgery. A few years later the hernia returned with a vengence and made it extremely difficult to eat and keep solid food down. Had it repaired a second time when the gallbladder was removed. I was warned if anymore issue I will have to revise. I suspect the hernia has returned, although not nearly as severe. Time will tell.

Surgeon: Chengelis  Surgery on 12/19/2011  A little less carb eating compared to my weight loss phase loose sleever here!

1Mo: -21  2Mo: -16  3Mo: -12  4MO - 13  5MO: -11 6MO: -10 7MO: -10.3 8MO: -6  Goal in 8 months 4 days!!   6' 2''  EWL 103%  Starting size 28 or 4x (tight) now size 12 or large, shoe size 12 w to 10.5   150+ pounds lost  

Join the Instant Pot Pressure Cooker group for recipes and tips! Click here to join!

Stacy160
on 1/28/18 10:43 am

As you're seeing...SO MANY PEOPLE find out they have a hiatal hernia going into surgery. I'm one of them also. I suspected, but my surgeon found and fixed a large one while he was in there.

It seems to be that people who have them and who had heartburn and reflux problems before surgery get rid of them. Speaking for myself, for several years I was taking double-doses of medication before bed, just in order to sleep without waking up choking on stomach acid. That went away immediately after my surgery whi*****luded that quick (like 10 minute quick, I have it on video) hernia repair. 8 years later...still not a problem.

I would absolutely get a second opinion. It sounds like your surgeon doesn't have a lot of experience with VSG, prefers doing RNY, and isn't very informed.

HW 258    SW 246.4    CW 166.8 GW 160    
                     (reflects loss from all-time high weight in November 2009)
Susan_1
on 6/18/19 9:51 pm - Covington, LA

I'm had the sleeve done 2 yrs ago & I'm scheduled for my 3 hour surgery next month. ?

Most Active
Expired Optifast Question
Freewheeler · 2 replies · 78 views