Anyone get blackouts?

itsjustmisty
on 11/7/18 4:54 pm, edited 11/7/18 8:55 am
VSG on 10/10/18

I lost my post. But was just going to say that her symptoms lined up IMO.

Below is what my gastrologist referred to me (I have seen two gastrologist whom confirmed what I had was dumping) you can have any of these symptoms. (she didn't pass out though in her OP she said she felt like it) that is dizziness or light head the water pulling in her mouth that's nausea. I too have had mine out for a long time (20 years) while not as long as you I have also had two medical professionals confirm this info so.

The symptoms of early and late dumping syndrome are different and vary from person to person. Early dumping syndrome symptoms may include

• nausea
  • vomiting
  • abdominal pain and cramping
  • diarrhea
  • feeling uncomfortably full or bloated after a meal
  • sweating
  • weakness
  • dizziness
  • flushing, or blushing of the face or skin
  • rapid or irregular heartbeat

The symptoms of late dumping syndrome may include

• hypoglycemia
  • sweating
  • weakness
  • rapid or irregular heartbeat
  • flushing
  • dizziness

BTW not saying this was it, it just reminded ME of me... :)

sweetpotato1959
on 11/7/18 7:00 pm

I have done this, It may be a combination of things....usually I have gotten something with hidden fat., sometimes it is trapped gas.. getting up and walking just after you eat something, if only to walk around the table 3 times...the movement will help movement to go down...as opposed to up..... the first sip of ice water will precipitate this response, sometimes.w/..the lots of slobber and excess saliva. ..all of your gastric nerves are also the same ones that control heartbeat. My first symptom is greatly increased heartbeat.. if i eat something that is not being digested well.

I am 24 years post an early WLS.., a hybrid rny ( pouch is 5-6 oz)on steroids,included small bowel resection and removal of a portion of colon. is .no longer done. I am blessed with lots of side effects, currently am at target rate without plastics,and take no medications, just supplements.

You will get thru this. each BODY responds differently to surgery. You have to learn YOUR body.response and the mitigation of your symptoms..

I am also hypoglycemic.., these symptoms are in line with that as well.

just after a meal is when I am most likely to bottom my sugar.....look at your protein to carb ratio... if almost all protein. try increasing carbs by about 8 grams,(one ounce to one and half ounce at most.) at time this is most common. Your food may not be getting ingested fast enough to hold sugar up. also taking a few bites of carbs first in your meal, may be enough to offset this response.

keep some sugar in your pocket/nearby...

. If it is your blood sugar. putting a 1/2 tsp of sugar under your tongue will stop the reaction. It will go away within 3-5 min.

IF It is fat it will not affect the episode.

Shannon S.
on 11/7/18 12:39 pm
VSG on 11/07/17

Does food make it better? There are some signs of hypoglycemia there, but this is serious and you need to be evaluated by a doc.

Cathy H.
on 11/7/18 3:45 pm
VSG on 10/31/16
Ready2goNOW
on 11/7/18 5:25 pm

I agree with everyone else since this feeling could be indicative of so many things...or nothing at all...

I get that feeling when my heart rate jumps due to afib. But I have also had it during onset of flu, from not eating enough and low iron.

Definitely let the professionals figure it out!

Good luck!

Kathy

Kathy

MissCheri18
on 11/8/18 5:47 am - Daytona Beach, FL
VSG on 06/25/18

Thank you all. I am calling my surgeon in a few minutes and see what they think and if i should call my PCP. My main concern is I am not in motion when it hits me and it is not dizziness, it is the feeling the lights are going out and I think I'm about to pass or blackout. I do not get an upset stomach I do get cramping in my abs for a couple of minutes but I don't need to go to the bathroom and then excess fluid in my mouth for a long time after. So considering I've had open heart surgery it's time to call the pros. Hopefully it is something simple related to my VSG.

5' 2". 60-year-old (at time of surgery)

HW 239.9, SW 223

GW (Surgeon) 150, GW (Mine) 135

Cheri

MissCheri18
on 11/8/18 5:57 pm - Daytona Beach, FL
VSG on 06/25/18

It is not a VSG issue. I'm in the hospital will be here at the very least until Saturday. Tomorrow the Electrophysiologist will be taking me in to see if I have a broken wire if so he will repair it it appears to be my heart, it beats way too fast at times I guess. Thank you all and I update when I know more.

HW 239.9, SW 223

Cheri

Teresa G.
on 11/11/18 3:34 pm
VSG on 06/07/18 with

How are you doing Cheri?

I'm hoping that you're home and doing well.

Teresa (WA State)

VSG on June 7, 2018 (At age 59)
Start of Program (1-1-18): 303 n Surgery Weight: 260 n CW (10-16-18): 203.4 n GW: 175 (first goal)

MissCheri18
on 11/11/18 5:00 pm - Daytona Beach, FL
VSG on 06/25/18

Thank you and yes I came home late Saturday. I am doing pretty good I did not have a bad wire or not one he could set off, he did put in a ILR (implantable loop recorder) BUT they honestly don't know they THINK it's my heart meds being too high with my weight loss (which is what I asked) they found one of my meds appears to be causing serious kidney issues we are doing some blood work on the 15th and that will tell us and if so we will remove that med and cure both the kidneys and this blackout issue. Anyway it is not VSG except for the weight loss.

HW 239.9, SW 223

Cheri

Shannon S.
on 11/11/18 7:43 pm
VSG on 11/07/17

Glad they are getting to the bottom of your issues. Get well soon!

Most Active
Expired Optifast Question
Freewheeler · 2 replies · 95 views