Trying to get prepared!!! Love some feedback!

amygrace
on 2/6/19 11:51 am

I haven't had my surgery yet, but I need knee replacements too. Curious how your knees are now after surgery?

Knitter215
on 2/6/19 11:58 am
VSG on 08/23/16

Much, much better. I still get Synvisc and/or cortisone injections, but I am a now a nationally ranked (24) foil fencer in my age group (women age 50-59) and ranked 33 for women over 40 in the US. I started fencing about a year after surgery.

I work out 7 days a week - dead lift between 235 and 250 most time and can back squat 235. Remember that every pound you lose feels like 5-7 pounds on your knees. The most important thing is to get and keep moving. I take a cox-2 inhibitor (meloxicam) for inflammation which my bariatric team approved.

Before surgery, walking to tour a college campus would result in me bailing half way thru and taking Vicodin. Now, I only use the Vicodin if I need to after a tournament (where I will have fenced 8-10 bouts in a 3-4 hours period and burned about 1500 calories).

Keep on losing!

Diana

HW 271.5 (April 2016) SW 246.9 (8/23/16) CW 158 (5/2/18)

amygrace
on 2/6/19 2:08 pm

I can't begin to tell you how impressive that is!! I can't do anything! because of weight. Even when I try to walk, if my knees don't start hurting my hips do. Thanks for the encouragement!

Oshi
on 2/11/19 12:53 pm

I had my gastric bypass surgery 11/17. A year later 11/18 I had a full knee replacement on my right knee. It's taking a long time for the swelling to fully come down due to not being able to take anti inflamatories. Left knee will also need replacement but not gonna do that for awhile! I will forever be grateful for having gastric bypass! Although my knees are sore, not having all that extra weight certainly makes a difference!! I ride my stationary bike or walk for an hr daily. I started my journey at 371 lbs, 5'8", Im. Now 206!! Down 165lbs!! Id like to be at 180lbs. Im still working at it but enjoying life!! Clothes shopping is so much fun now! No more having to just on line order from Woman Within!! Your whole body will feel better as the weight comes off!!

Good luck with your surgery!!

amygrace
on 2/13/19 10:04 am

Thank you SOOO much! I needed to hear all that. I have forgotten what it feels like to feel good! I know I won't regret it. Good luck on the rest of your journey! You'll get there!!! :)

Oshi
on 2/13/19 10:47 am

Your welcome!! It really is amazing how wonderful you will feel! From showering, to putting your shoes on! One of the most exciting things I was able to do that I wasn't for so many years was being able to cross my legs?It is so wonderful to feel like myself again. Weight has been a struggle for me my whole life! Heavy as a child to being a size 3 when I met my husband 30 yrs ago! My weight just got so crazy out of control and with my age and metabolism, I just couldn't lose soooo many excess lbs!! Bartaric surgery has given me a new life in my golden years! My hubby and I feel like we are dating again!! So much fun! Can't wait to hear how all goes for you too!! Good luck and please keep us posted. And, thank you!! Im sure gonna try and hit that goal!

amygrace
on 2/20/19 2:14 pm

Thank you! The "crossing my legs" part hit home. I can't do that.

Oshi
on 2/20/19 5:19 pm

Soon you will! It's the little things, honestly?

Pure_Prairie
on 2/10/19 6:13 pm
VSG on 01/10/19

Things for the hospital: your pillow, and lip balm were my top 2.

Post op I wished I had invested in a shower chair, the shower felt so great but exhaustion was tough.

Mobility post op is important, as soon as they let you get up and walk, you will feel SO much better. I kept my pillow so I could press it into my tummy when I stood from my chair. In the first days I just walked up and down my sidewalk and driveway but moving helped me feel better every day.

I totally agree on stocking too many items, my tastes changed for sure, the jello I was eating pre op diet when I got home was far too sweet & I couldn't stand it. Look for items in quantities that are small you can try, I bought a 12 pack of clear protein drinks, (smallest available) and I have 10 left!

Overall best wishes, make sure you get in counseling now, find your weaknesses and enablers so you are prepared to deal with them now. This is an amazing group of people who don't mind sharing their experiences!

HW: 183 Pre-Op: 171 Post WLS Month 1: 149 Month 2: 141 Month 3: 133

Surgeon's goal: 128 My Goal: 118

amygrace
on 2/13/19 10:27 am

THANK YOU!!!

Most Active
Expired Optifast Question
Freewheeler · 2 replies · 70 views