Weight gain

kwalker318
on 8/17/19 11:38 pm - Tallulah, LA

Every person's body is different. I had fluid retention issues prior to surgery. I mainly eat raw fruits and vegetables. baked chicken, or baked fish. I can only eat 2 or 3 oz at a time. I know that I'm not peeing like I should. I drink fluids throughout the day but I only pee when I first get up in the morning and sometimes before i go to bed at night. I don't understand but this is crazy to me. I'm battling potassium and weight gain along with fluid retention, depression, and other health issues.

jmk187
on 8/18/19 2:25 am, edited 8/17/19 8:14 pm
VSG on 02/13/19

It's great you can only eat 2 to 3 oz of food at a time but it's futile if aren't eating 2 to 3 times a day. Also if you are eating raw fruits and vegetables when you have your meals that's not ideal for someone who just had weight loss surgery. Especially when following the eating of Protein first..if you can only consume 2 to 3 oz of food total per meal, those 2 to 3 oz should be from protein. Remember it's not just the amount of food you can eat per meal, it's also the amount of times in a day you are eating...and the type of food you consume when you do eat. All three of those are equally important. It's true you could eat 5 smaller meals but I don't really recommend that for someone who has a food addiction..(what person who is addicted to food wouldn't love to be told to eat more food during the day). Also you said you tend to skip breakfast earlier, eating 5 smaller meals really does not work if you skip meals.

So let's say you have your first meal of the day..you said in a previous post you skip breakfast. Well ok that's fine, everyone has different schedules. What matters is when you have your first meal. As soon as you choose to eat your first meal, you should be eating 4 hours later. And after you eat second meal, you should be eating another 4 hours from that. That's it. No snacks. In those 4 hours where you aren't eating you should be concentrating on your water intake.(protein supplement if still taking) Always have a water bottle or a glass of water on standby. As soon you finish a glass of water, go and fill it back up and put it somewhere you can see it. Sipping throughout the day.

Edited to add the (protein supplement)

HW-430

SW-372

Day of Surgery-347

CW-246

Sunflowergirl9
on 8/17/19 5:50 pm
VSG on 07/18/19

Exactly!!! My Dietitian told me not to worry about fat, sugar, or calories. Her reasoning was you can only eat a few spoonfuls! That's crap, everyone is different and i could eat 4 oz after surgery no problem. I watched my Aunt eat three slices of pizza 1 month post op. You must track your food. You must hold yourself accountable. This is no magic surgery.

ladygodiva1228
on 8/20/19 6:58 am - Putnam, CT
Revision on 02/04/15

Sounds to me like your weight gain is all water. Personally I think there is no way you are eating enough to gain 18 pounds in 1 1/2 weeks. That would be an insane amount of food and you would be very very sick.

When you say your doctor changed your fluid medicine are we talking a diuretic? Maybe you need a stronger one?

Do the journaling for the food and liquid you consume that way you can show your surgeon that you are following his directions. Talk with your other doctor and see if you can take a potassium supplement (if you're not already) to help keep the potassium up while taking the fluid medicine. Best of luck to you.

Dr. Sanchez Lapband 9/12/2003
hw305/revision w280/cw197/gw150

Revision from Lap Band to Bypass on 2/4/2015 by Dr. Pohl

Most Active
Expired Optifast Question
Freewheeler · 2 replies · 82 views