Confused between RNY and DS

rainbowmuffin
on 1/20/12 3:00 am - Canada
 I've finally made the decision to get surgery. I've determined that I just cannot lose this weight on my own, and now my body is falling apart. My back hurts everyday, my shoulders hurt, I get foot and knee pain, it's become hard to exercise. I go to massage once a week, but I'm still dealing with pain.

Up until this morning I had decided on getting RNY, but I was browsing the forums and someone mentioned DS.
The things that appeal to me about DS is the increased weight loss, no dumping (which makes me nervous at the same time) and the ability to continue taking ibuprofen ( I get migraines)
The things that worry me is the diarrhea (I'm already on medication that sometimes changes my bowel movements) and the increased chance of the surgery having to be done open. 
I'm worried anyway about not being able to have it done laparoscopically with the RNY, I'm around 400lbs and 5'10" and I really really don't want to have a big scar. 

I really need help deciding what to do. 
I don't have the money to get one operation and then switch to another, it's all self pay because I'm from Canada.
rainbowmuffin
on 1/20/12 3:05 am - Canada
 Oh and any doctor suggestions would be awesome. Preferably ones that don't cost $30,000
Hislady
on 1/21/12 7:46 am - Vancouver, WA
Another drawback of the DS is you must make sure you can afford and will comply with the vitamin requirements. You have lots of them to take and you must get labs done faithfully. That said the DS has been very successful for many people. You might post this on the DS board, they'll be glad to help out or try I believe it is dsfacts.com for lots of info.
He who can't be Named
on 4/25/12 11:38 am
 The only surgeon we have here that does all the surgeries including DS is Myur Srikanth in Seattle, but he is well regarded.

Like the other poster said, you have be committed to monitoring and then taking supplements for life, but that is not only with the DS, but the RNY as well. You may take different ones, but you will always take something for life.

The thing is, with RNY you will quit malabsorbing calories, but still malabsorb nutrients, making the supplements necessary, but making it harder to keep the weight off after a few years. With DS, you will always malabsorb nutrients, as well as calories because of where they are bypassed, particularly with fats. That is attractive to me, as my cholesterol is always a problem, no matter how careful I am.

There are studies on the bowel habits, that state they are about the same for both RNY and DS, so I wouldn't let that be a factor. The NSAIDS are a huge factor for me though, as I too get migraines, and have more pains every year. I don't want to imagine old age without the ability to take something like aspirin. 

I've talked to several surgeons, and they only recommend the procedures they do, so it's best to decide before getting cut, or going to a surgeon that actually does all of them, and that leaves us with only Dr Srikanth. 

I too am going to have to self pay, and I can't afford do-overs, so I'm saving for a DS. I feel certain it's my best chance. I got links to real medical studies at DSFacts.com, and recommend reading there.

Some times dingle berries are the lowest hanging fruit.  
Most Active