I'm back....

merrillee
on 2/26/12 6:04 am - Seattle, WA
RNY on 12/03/12

After quite a successful go with the lapband (installed April of 2007 with Dr. Oh in Federal Way), I had to have emergency surgery in November of 2010 to have it removed.  It had slipped and eroded into my stomach.  Very upsetting.  Also, because I didn't have insurance, I couldn't have a revision to sleeve or RNY at the time. Of course, I have gained a bunch of weight over the last 15 months--even though I have been very careful to eat less than 1300 calories a day and upped my physical exercise - which stinks.  BUT I do have really great (I think- hope-believe) insurance now and am looking at getting an RNY asap.  It looks like my insurance is going to require a 6 month medically supervised diet....which I think is dumb, having been a successful lap band patient.  But, I will do what it takes to get my body back. Hopefully I won't have to go through this ever again!  I am seeing Dr. McMahon at Swedish....mostly because my friend, George, is his ARNP. I am truly grateful I can continue on my journey....wish I didn't have to, of course, but still grateful.

kakkling
on 2/26/12 2:49 pm - Tac, WA
 Merrillee, 

I am glad to hear you are back, but so sorry to hear you lost your band. I know a few people who go to Dr  McMahon, and they really like him.

Do they still have the support group in Gig Harbor? I miss that group. I know you sure helped me when I was getting ready for my surgery.

I will keep you in my prayers.

Take care of yourself.
Kelly
merrillee
on 2/26/12 11:07 pm - Seattle, WA
RNY on 12/03/12
Hey Kelly,

Great to hear from you!  No group in Gig Harbor as far as I know.  I moved to Seattle almost 2  years ago. 

So what's going on with you?  Nice to catch up!

Take care,
Merrillee

evydog
on 3/25/12 2:04 am
 Did Dr. McMahon take out your band or just do your revision?
merrillee
on 9/13/12 2:23 pm - Seattle, WA
RNY on 12/03/12
Sorry to reply so late!

No, Dr. Oh removed my band....it was an emergency surgery. 
I was friends with Dr. McMahon's  Nurse Practitioner, George, who I called from St, Francis.  He was wonderful.  When I had the insurance, etc. to be able to have a revision, I called Dr. McMahon....for two reasons: George, and I live near Swedish in Seattle.

Merrillee

evydog
on 9/13/12 3:38 pm
 Dr McMahon removed my band in April. So glad to be past that. 
He who can't be Named
on 4/25/12 11:42 am
My band had to go too, but I didn't lose much on it. Any chance they can consider the time banded a supervised diet??
Some times dingle berries are the lowest hanging fruit.  
merrillee
on 9/13/12 2:24 pm - Seattle, WA
RNY on 12/03/12
Hi sorry for the late reply.

The insurance co. insisted that I start with the 6 months supervised diet....just like a new patient....YUK!  Just finished that part today!  YAY> 

Merrillee

merrillee
on 9/20/12 9:18 am, edited 9/20/12 9:19 am - Seattle, WA
RNY on 12/03/12
Newest twist:
Saw a different PA last appointment (last week) who told me that if I'm diagnosed with sleep apnea,  I HAVE to be on a cpap machine before surgery or the Dr. won't do it.   I had the  little overnight home test for sleep apnea as part of the gigantic feat of medical testing I had last spring, and though it said (I thought) I had sleep apnea, I decided not to spend the money on a machine, since surgery would be in just a few months and it would go away soon after.  The PA I saw at the time thought that was fine.... Whoops...NOT.   And NOW, according to the lady who submits to insurance, the little home test they MADE me do didn't count for anything.  I have to have had a full-on sleep study....which, fortunately I was able to do last night....and duh, I have  to get a cpap now. 

ALSO, the lady who submits insurance also says that since I was a little below the 35 bmi mark when I first saw the Dr. a month before I officially entered the 6 month diet program, I now have to have another consult with him at my current bmi before she can submit....AND she wants a letter from my  primary care physician stating all my other co-morbities....diabetes, etc. 

AND I thought this was going to be easy?  Whatever.  I will jump through their darn hoops.  Whatever it takes.  Sheesh. 

On my way (2nd time's a charm!)

Merrillee

kakkling
on 9/24/12 1:50 am - Tac, WA
Merrillee,

Hoping the 2nd time is the charm for you! How long ago did Dr Oh take out your band? I thought he was retired?

Take care, 
Kelly
Kelly

Most Active