May need 2nd LGB surgery/will TRICARE Prime cover it?

Sandy69
on 9/22/12 7:11 am - Fort Lewis, WA
Hello Fellow Members,

I had my surgery on the 21st of March 2011 ( 1 yr 6mo out) at Madigan Army Hospital and I was doing pretty good with the weight loss until we moved to VA. Now I am stuck at 175 lbs (optimal weight is 160-155) even though I watch what I eat and I exercise 5 days a week for at least 45 Min. Sometimes I am having a difficult time exercising because of my seasonal allergies (did not have them in WA) that I am suffering from in the State of Virginia (I have been on allergy medicine for a while). My Primary Care Provider has not a lot of experience/knowledge with Bariatric surgery but he said that sometimes it happens that the pouch was left to big and this could stop any further weight loss.
Anybody having the same problem?
I was thinking about applying for a second surgery after my 2 yr anniversary to see if they could create a smaller pouch. Has anybody been approved by TRICARE Prime for a 2nd LGB? How hard/easy is it to get that approval?
Thank you for your help!
Susan O.
on 9/24/12 4:48 am - Tacoma, WA
RNY on 06/27/07 with
 Hi Sandy69! 
    WHOA!!!  You don't say where you started, but you have done wonderfully, and have to stop and let your body catch up. Who said your optimal weight is 160-165? Maybe your body is telling you it is 175!  PLEASE don't be so concerned about the numbers that it derails everything good you are doing. You are beating the odds by MAINTAINING (not being "stuck").  Enjoy where you are and give your body a break.
     If you still think your pouch should be smaller, then eat like it is. Measure your food and see how much you are really eating. Are you drinking your protein shakes? Studies have shown lack of protein is the biggest hindrance to any LGB weight loss. You can not possibly eat the 90-120 grams of protein you should be getting a day, and even if you did eat that amount as listed on a label, you would only be absorbing approximately 1/3 of it. 
    I agree with your statement that your PCP is unknowledgable about bariatric surgery. If there would have been a surgical reason for you not to lose weight, you would not have lost more than a few pounds, or stopped losing early on after your surgery. Normally for GB if there is a lack of weight loss, it is not due to pouch size, but intestine length.  Do you really want to go through another surgery for 10-15 pounds? I know no reputable doctor would even consider surgery for that tiny amount of weight.  
    Are you attending support group meetings? It is very important to go now, and continue to go. If you do not have a local group, please look for an active online group that will help you adjust to what your new body and accept what is "perfect" for you. 
   All my best to you!
Susan

Susan 

www.obesityhelp.com/group/ttnt/

RNY 6/2007   120 pounds lost - GOAL!!

Most Active