Sad! Not sure should of done this.

fresh
on 9/24/06 6:54 am
Im not sure if i did the right thing by having the surgery. I just had surgery week ago. LoL and im already having regrests. The weekend before i was freaking out that i might die and am i really doing the right thing. I think im fast healer. Because im feeling pretty good pain wise. But i thought after this surgery i would never be hungry agian. I am constantly hungry. Sometimes its head hungry and i crave foods i can no longer have. but i also don't feel satisfied either. I been following gudielines to the tee. But sometimes im so hungry. and i constantly taking in little sips. That i can't quench my thrist. I feel like if i hadn't had the surgery and i was feeling hungry all i do take a few gulps and then i would feel refreshed. And little something into my stomache like bannna or sandwich. nooo Im hungry and nothing i can do can quelch that. Not to metion my stomache to small. Not only that im concstantly tired...and horribley crabby. Which i know have nothing to do with the surgery and all to do that i proably taking 10 calories with bypassed intestines. not even that. With so little energy coming in little to go out which is making me grouchy. Please tell me things get normal after awhile. Does this get any better. Well the tiredness hunger go away. Well i get to eat normal again. A taco, sandwich. frenchfrie Do you think things will get better or is there any way to restore my stomache back to what it was before.
toroauntie
on 9/24/06 3:20 pm - Redondo Beach, CA
RB, you need to call your doc and get ato referral to a therapist and you need to get to your programs support groups now! First off it is normal to feel tired and grumpy. Yes you are taking in very few calories at this point but your body is healing from major life changing surgery. Are you drinking all the water and protein your doc has requested??? I know at 2 weeks I couldn't drink enough and water and protein do fill you up. You need to see a therapist to deal with why you eat. Most of us are emotional eaters and need to figure out the causes and then get new habits. Also you need to real do some sole searching....it is normal to be afraid before and question what you did after.....but the real answer to your last 2 questions is NO. No more eating like you did pre-op and I am sure you were told that this surgery is considered permanent. In very rare cases have they reversed a bypass which is why some people get the band. A reversal is extremely difficult and dangerous as I understand it and I don't think your insurance would even consider covering it if you could find a doc to do it. SO get to support group and know that you can overcome the feelings you are having. And YES, it really does get better in a few months.
Shelster
on 9/25/06 10:17 pm - Holland, OH
I thought I was the only one that felt hungry after my surgery. And yes, the head hunger was terrible. Just think of it like you quit smoking. The craving is there! That is for sure. I am now 5 months out and don't regret a thing. It will get better and you will learn to work with your new stomach. Just give it time and stop stressing out. I was so freaked when I felt hunger within 3 days of surgery. Everyone kept telling me it was head hunger. But, I knew it was hunger hunger! Today, I am 100% happy I had the surgery. I am down 85 pounds and very happy. I know how to work with my pouch now. Just give it time!!!
donnafc
on 9/26/06 3:00 am - Lowell, MA
RB I too was hungry right after surgery. I wanted a slice of pizza so bad on the ride home from the hospital that I really did cry. I read back on my blog and I see that even a few weeks after I had a particular bad night were all I wanted was to eat with my family. The good news is that given time you will feel better. Make sure that you follow the program- I am 1 year post op. I have lost 120 pounds, I eat protein first, drink all my water and exercise daily. Please don't try the forbidden foods for as long as possible Rice, Pasta, Breads and carbs..... you will regret it in the long run. Most people who stumble do so on these. (this is just my own opinion from reading these post for the past year) yes some people can eat almost anything again- it is up to you to decide what is good and what isn't. I can't eat french fries, but find I don't like them anymore. I do have taco meat- but put it in a salad and oh ya your taste bud change a lot. One bite of chocolate will curb my desires two will make me sick...... good luck and you can do this, it will get better donna
Jessica M.
on 9/26/06 4:44 am - Roseville, CA
I went through similiar feelings when I was 1 week out.. it does get better..just takes time. When you feel better, have more energy and can buy clothes that are cute, trendy and small...you'll realize that you made the right decision.. at least that was how it was for me, i've not regretted my decision..just had moments of doubt, but they pass.. best of luck to ya!
Rae Smiles
on 9/26/06 5:40 am - Mount Airy, MD
Hi RB, I did not have the hunger but I sure was crabby and wasn't sure what I needed...I felt like I did as a very small child when things just weren't going my way. My husband was very patient!! I am not a high maintaince person at all...all of a sudden I was cranky and moody...I think it was that my body was starving and my body needed food... I am now 2.5 years out, down 135 lbs...I wear a size 6...and it is so much easier...yes, you will have difficult days, but....it will get better... Remember you JUST had surgery...you are recovering. Drink your protein shakes, eat when/what you are allowed.... You WILL GET THROUGHT THIS.... The passage of time will make this time dim in your memory...as soon as the weight starts coming off, your mind will find something else to do...also, once you are able to do more, you WILL do more... BTW, I became a food network addict...still am...somehow it helps me NOT eat....not sure how or why...but if I watch someone fix a meal, I somehow get satisfied.... This too shall pass... Best wishes, RAE
cyn30az
on 9/29/06 3:10 am - lake havasu, AZ
omg i am feeling almost the same way .... i am just 9 days out and i get sick with everything i eat even some juices i know this aint normal but i was just crying i want a reversile ... i know im not suppost to be feeling this way i just am .. i cant get enough protien if i do eat or drink anthing i get so sick and sweat and feel terrible .. so what is a girl to do
Rae Smiles
on 9/29/06 5:27 am - Mount Airy, MD
Hi Cindy.... I would STOP all the juices...even at 2.5 years out I can only handle a bit of juice...even if NO sugar added it has fruit sugars.... Try crystal lite instead.... Do NOT worry about getting enough protein today...each day try hard to get in MORE protein....more water and more protein EACH DAy... Start charting on fitday.com as soon as you are able to start eating food ...it will keep you honest. Remember, you are only 9 days out...you just had major surgery....it you just had your appendix (sp?) you would probably feel just as crappy..... Not sure if you are on solid food yet...I wasn't at 9 days out...but I was on full liquids...I could only drink a bit before I felt like I had stuffed myself...in fact, I had NO hunger....but I would get so *****y...my husband, who is a great guy, was so nice about it...he realized that I did know that I needed to eat...the time would just fly by... so, fix your meals in tiny cups....and tell yourself I will eat this...even if you have to stop and go back to it....but remember you will be eating next to nothing for the next few weeks...that is why we lose so much weight so fast...we are starving our bodies... I am 2.5 years out and life is SO good since about 6-9 week out...you will get there!!!! Email me if you need to talk one-on-one... RAE
Elizabeth N.
on 9/29/06 6:30 pm - Burlington County, NJ
Hi Cindy. From what I understand about the RNY, it sounds like you could be dumping on the juices. Remember, they are sugary drinks. Try calorie free fluids and concentrate for the moment on getting the fluids in. You also need to talk to your doc and be sure you are not getting dehydrated. The protein will come in time. You're just a few days out. Your body still has nutrients stored up. You're in no danger of malnutrition at this point. Just get fluids in. Some people say Prilosec OTC helps their nausea. Rest, walk and drink....sipping all the time .
mrsmorgan2001
on 9/30/06 3:50 am - VIRGINIA BEACH, VA
I was hungry too. But at least your not sick all the time. I am 3 months post-op and I can't keep anything down. I'm looking into havinecause its notg the surgery reversed. I have lost almost 100 pounds already. Make sure you continue to drink the water or even crystal light if you need a change. Another good food is Wendy's chili if you are still on the soft diet. I was told that was okay because its not spicy. Good luck and thank God you have your health.
Most Active
Recent Topics
Endoscopic sleeve
stephgfl · 2 replies · 891 views
The last 35 month
julielynn · 3 replies · 8485 views
Misery Loves Company
lbmg · 1 replies · 9052 views
I want it reversed!
fatfifty · 8 replies · 11026 views