moral issues with WLS...please help

SoniaB
on 1/25/07 1:38 am - Windsor, Canada
Ok here's a touchy subject, please be prepared.....:type: BTW this is quite long Sorry The two big problems I have with WLS are... #1 morally I feel like I am about to destroy what was made by God..on the other hand I already have in one way or another. I never gorged on food, but I didn't exercise and obviously ate more than 1000 calories per day, but not more than 1500 to 1800 and I didn't eat breakfast. I am not using this as an excuse, but i have always had many health issues even when I was at my lowest of 170. I gained 130 pounds in a 3 month period in high school my thyroid count was over 500, thyroid doesn't make you gain weight, but makes it 15x harder than a normal person to work it off...I only recently found this out last year. So here's my question am I over reacting to meddling in God's work ? #2 I find it very hard to be able to work on this on my own (losing weight) and not to mention there is so much discrimination and problems in our society saying that we have to lose weight or we will not be accepted, so WLS is our only option...I am from Canada and they do not push the surgery here, not because our government doesn't want to pay for it, but because it is dangerous no matter what surgery whether it is WLS or not. I do find that when going to Michigan for the seminar I understand a lot of what Americans go through in having to pay for their own medical...IT'S HORRIBLE and I wish they would do something about it, because I find that doctors and other health professionals push (in Canada) as well just to make a buck! But in Canada they push drugs because as well as in the US the doctors get a type of payment like golfing trips or money donated in their name for prescribing the drug At this point I think weight loss surgery is the only thing for me, I didn't one year ago and sometimes I have trouble with it because in a way I feel like I am being pushed, but what else am i supposed to do when no one and I mean NO ONE will help me with anything because I am fat, not to mention I can't even get a job and was told out right "you are not the right image for the company, but your credentials and interview were the best of all" BS I get this all the time and I know I will never get a job I want no matter how confident I am despite being a honors student with 3 diplomas. Did any one else feel this way before surgery and do you guys think this is a major issue that should be serious considered before I have the WLS and end up with regrets?! I made this urgent because my 2nd consult is on Jan 30th
jttaurus
on 1/25/07 4:59 am - Charlotte, NC
Sonia, I know your anxious to have your weight loss surgery and move past this point in your life. I hope your consultation answers alot of your questions and provides some closure. Life is hard enough, and it's hard to live everyday with the hurdles. I had my surgery almost 1 year ago, but my life has changed in so many ways. Sometimes for the good, sometimes for the bad. As for the philosopical party, are you changing what god created? This is an interesting question. I am struggling personally because I have changed what god created and I'm having alot of complications wiht my weight loss surgery. THe hardest part is to over come what life has dealt us and to heal what is hurting us. I can say, I'm not content with my life and wls has not created any happiness from it. JT
.: Rana :.
on 1/26/07 2:44 am - Near Grass Valley, CA
As a Christian, I have had to deal with your question #1. I can understand your feelings-- I felt this way over whether or not to get my hair permed! And as you said, some of this was our own fault (but in your case, you have a medical condition also which makes weight loss even more difficult). First of all, pray about it. If you really feel uncomfortable with the idea of WLS, then either He is saying 'no' or He is saying 'wait'. Have you researched the different types of WLS? He will lead you to what's best for you, but often it is a process. "For I know the plans I have for you," declares the LORD, "plans to prosper you and not harm you, plans to give you hope and a future." (Jer. 29:11) So as a moral issue, if your beliefs don't permit you to seek medical help (such as emergency surgery, blood transfusions, etc.) then you should not be seeking this as an option. Otherwise, this can be seen as a gift that God has provided to us. He has given us all sorts of medications to benefit us, as well as surgeries that make it possible to live longer, healthier lives. If you are doing this purely for vanity, that is different (in my opinion). I'm not saying that it is wrong, just a different motivation. Look into your heart and ask why you want this surgery done. For me, I know that God understands what obsticles I face in losing weight on my own, plus He wants me to be healthy and active. For me, WLS is a possibility. Again, DO RESEARCH about the various types. For me, I don't feel comfortable with many of the issues surrounding RNY, and therefore won't be choosing that procedure. Know what you are getting yourself into. Don't take the easiest route (I tried, but God was gracious enough to put some road blocks in my way to steer me in another direction). Continue to ask God for guidence, pray, and listen to Him. He WILL guide you! Peace Be Yours, Rana
SoniaB
on 1/26/07 3:32 am - Windsor, Canada
Thank you all for your replies... Rana: I did research different types, but my health covers only lapRNY. I am Christian too so my beliefs do permit me to seek medical help, mind you like a lot of people I don't go to church but that's a whole different topic. lol I want to be healthier..I am just scared about the complications, because that is the last thing I need..I continue to ask for guidance and I go sometimes with my mom to support groups that give witness to things that have happened because of prayer. It is quite interesting.
misty S.
on 1/27/07 11:54 am
Hi i totally understand but in life we have to make sacrifices and we have to make changes to suit us and help us succeed. I understand not wanting to destroy what god made but i put that in the catogory with nose jobs and such not wls. I will be the same person just hopefully a normal size. I am not opting for the rny it is too dangerous and they re route my stomach and that is not for me just a personal decison on my own. Have you gone to a seminar? If not i suggest you do and ask questions. I went to one two years ago but have lapband surgery scheduled 2-26 in mexico i am self pay and i had to make a choice make a change now or suffer the consiquences. I am only adding a device to gods design. I am not taking away anything except something i added on my own too much fat. Just make sure you feel confortable with the decison you make and don't let a surgeon push you into doing something you do not feel confortable with. I had a surgeon in the usa he wanted me to get the rny but i have to follow my heart and do what i feel is best for me and that is the lapband i had a friend die from rny and that is not a chance i am willing to take. My bmi is 56.1 and i have seen people lose just as much weight with lapband as bypass and it is alot safer. Make sure to research research research and ask tons of questions until you can make the right decison that fits your cir****tances the best . I have lost weight on my own before by taking diet pills and excersising but i always gain it back and i want to be on earth to see my son grow up so that is why i am doing this. I wish you luck best wishes with whatever decison you make
SoniaB
on 1/27/07 5:31 pm - Windsor, Canada
Thanks Misty..I am from Canada, so my coverage will only pay for lapRNY at this time... however for some people they cover DS. I have been researching for 2 years and I did go to a seminar, which helped me lose 40 lbs to 45 lbs so far. Honestly I am comfortable with the decision. In some ways I am just tired of fighting for every thing and I am hoping I will not have to fight as much or as hard if I have this done...I also think it is a very brave and courageous thing to have WLS...I think I am just having jitters and wondering how every thing will turn out in the end for example there are some things I would love to change in my life after surgery and there are some I do not want to change, but I know they will and I am having a tough time with that, especially my health problems and love life.
F. Last
on 1/29/07 7:13 am
I accept you as you look; I just care about who you are on the inside. There are many like me. Having said that...is surgery the only way you can live a reasonably long, healthy, AND happy life? If you can do that without surgery, cool. Some people require surgery to have a reasonably long, healthy, and happy life.
tsgarr
on 1/30/07 3:05 pm
Sonia, First of all l want to say "God bless you and peace be with you". I'm sorry that you are conflicted right now, but it is comforting for me to see that others are going through some of the spiritual issues I have been addressing. My RNY is scheduled for March 9. I've been a christian a long time, and I had been very conflicted about my decision. After prayer, research, and talking with respected christian friends, I made the decision to pursue surgery. I have tried every weight loss plan imaginable, including a very well known christian weight loss plan. I loose massive amounts of weight over and over again only to gain it all back. I spent a lot of time worrying that I was unpleasing to God because I could not seem to bring my response to food into submission. Here is what I now understand and I'm at peace with in my spirt. I'm not now nor will I be unpleasing to God. He has already accepted me as I am and only sees me with pure love, because I accepted His gift of salvation. He knows that I have genuinely tried and He knows my limitations. He also knows that I now experience pain and loss because of my weight. He wants more for me. He knows that I'm using RNY as a tool to control my weight and bring my eating into submission. He has given my surgeon the skills and knowledge needed to help me obtain this tool. He knows that I'm using the surgery in an effort to respect His physical temple he has gifted me with. He has a "hope and a plan" for my future. He only wants the best for me. He will be on that OR table with me and in the days after. He is thrilled that my victory over food lies just ahead. I've been a christian for 34 years.....I know with all my heart, mind, and spirit.....and by His very word....that luck or simple silly coincidence doesn't happen for a christain. I hope this helps you. You're not being "bad" and any less of a christian. You're taking positive, aggressive steps to address an issue that you have not been able to conquer by other means. Move on into victory and don't waste time lingering in the past or passing judgment on yourself. Pick a time when you are not rushed. Go to His word and prayerfully talk to Him frankly. Tell Him you need peace to do or not to do. He will lead you and answer you. He came to give you full freedom, not keep you in bondage to anything...including your weight. Take care & feel well ! Shawn
Ronda F.
on 2/24/07 8:39 am - Willmar, MN
tsgarr 's response to you is a wonderful response, because it sums up our awesome freedom of "us in Christ" and "Christ in us". After praying about this surgery for myself, I point blank asked the Lord to show me and make it clear to me, if this surgery was good for me. I wanted to know if His blessing was on it. And I thanked Him for the answer. I knew I couldn't go through with it until I knew I would not be in error to His will for me. A few weeks later, I was reading Proverbs 23. The second verse says, "If you're a man given to appetite put a knife to your throat." WOW! A light shown on those words and I KNEW that this was His word to me in answer to my prayer. With the variety of answers you've received, hopefully you realize this surgery is for those who need it. I believe the Lord supplied it by bringing the knowledge of this to the earth. Not everyone needs it. But some of us do. He's given the surgeons the 'know how" to help those of us who do. If any of you is deficient in wisdom, let him ask of "the giving God [Who gives] to everyone liberally and ungrudgingly, without reproaching or faultfinding, and it will be given him. James 1:5 (Amplified version) Ronda   
SoniaB
on 2/24/07 9:43 am - Windsor, Canada
Ty for the reply...I couldn't find this forum until now for some reason it just wouldn't show up. I am waiting on the my appointment to see the surgeon, but it has been a week and they haven't called me back...I've called at least three times. Anyway I think I will do just that...take some free time and really ask God and hopefully it will not be so hard to find the answer.  As I at times have difficulty understanding or seeing what his answer is.
Most Active
Recent Topics
Endoscopic sleeve
stephgfl · 2 replies · 891 views
The last 35 month
julielynn · 3 replies · 8485 views
Misery Loves Company
lbmg · 1 replies · 9052 views
I want it reversed!
fatfifty · 8 replies · 11026 views