OKAY i am Worried NOW!

Desperate_one
on 12/18/08 3:59 am, edited 12/18/08 4:00 am - London, Canada

Well i was looking through the OGH Website and Found the REGRET Forum....WOW

What can i say, i read a few and decided to get out, it was Scaring the H*** out of ME!!!!

OH MY GOD.....

Somebody, Anyone please tell me that this does not happen to everyone!!!!

Some people said they Gained all their Weight after 5 YRS
Some said that they now have ANEMIA!!!!
Some Said that they are so Weak now, they had to send their Children to the Fathers Home to Live....

OH My God,

I am sweating!!!

Help please

Desperate_one
on 12/18/08 4:02 am - London, Canada
hopeful_melissa
on 12/31/08 8:14 am - Euclid, OH
You will be fine - as long as you follow what your doctors say. All of the weight gain and most of the complications are due to not following the guidelines and taking the suppliments (not all of them).

When I first talked to my doctor about this surgery, she said it was like giving yourself a disease in that your life would have to change in order to be healthy. I would have to take vitamins for the rest of my life and I would have to change how and what I eat for the rest of my life.  The success stories that you read out here are from people who took this seriously and did what they were (and are) supposed to be doing.

There is a risk with this surgery, there is with anything - but you can minimize that risk by paying close attention to what your care team says.

Talk to your surgeon about your concerns and how to keep those things from happening to you.

Good Luck!!  And I hope you don't scare yourself out of this!!
lizzyliz1
on 1/9/09 3:08 am
I totally agree. Every person is different and if you don't take care of yourself like you are told to then of course their is going to be consequence to your actions. Or should I say non action. Cause apparently those people aren't doing what they are suppose to be doing. I don' t know what your surgeon has told you but the first thing mine told me and a group of others is that this is only a tool to help you. If you don't help yourself how can you expect it to work. I have 2 sister n laws who did the procedure I believe it was back in 2000 and neither one of them have ever regained their weight back. I mean don't get me wrong their weight does fluctuate but they have never regained their complete pre op weight back. It all depends on you and your motivation. But if you have the willingness to change your habits you'll be okay.
Santiago1
on 1/24/09 8:46 am - Canada
Dear desperate one from a fellow Canuck,

I too just discovered the regrets board and it freaked me out a little. I have not yet had surgery, so hearing all the negative on that board sort of turned me off a little. I was fully aware of all the risks and dangers but reading about it all in that one place can be rough.
I believe like the others said, one has to be serious about this whole lifestyle change, do their research and stick with the program.

How have you been since you had surgery last year? How do you feel? Complications?
All the best to you!

lizzyliz1
on 2/16/09 2:26 am
I just had my surgery a few weeks ago. I feel fine didn't have any complications during the surgery or even after. I do have one thing though. My doctor did leave a drain. The drain is just to help aid any leaks that are healing. I should be getting it removed pretty soon. Its nothing for you to worry about because not all doctors use the drain. I was just one of the lucky ones. But like I said other than that I am doing exactly what the doctor ordered. I take my vitamins,  calcium , iron,  b12. I drink my fluids constantly and right now I'm on the pureed stage of the surgery. I do try to eat some foods that are soft. Just to see if my stomach can tolerate it. Haven't had a problem with anything. Since the surgery I haven't thrown up not even once. Knock on wood! But haven't. I've lost about 20 pounds in the 3 weeks. Which I'm really happy with. I notice alot of clothes that I couldn't wear anymore are starting to slide right on without struggle. Just make sure you take care of yourself and take all your vitamins and eat your protein. Protein is key in this process too!
SandyR
on 3/26/09 5:07 am - Portland, OR
There are always horror stories - and who knows what is even true. look at the overall STATS, and go over these carefully with your docs.
Yes, some people regain.
Yes, some have anemia (which is easily corrected and prevented by good eating and supplements)

Of course it does not happen to everyone. Every board has hundreds of successes. YOU are responsible to learn what is needed to be successful - and EVERY form of WLS requires basically the same major and permanent lifestyle changes to do well, and more importantly, to keep the weight off.

Sandy r, banded 6 yrs ago today
at goal 5 yrs - and NO major complications
http://www.obesityhelp.com/forums/LapBand/3895621/6-years-ba nded-today-and-some-tips/#31325880

DISCLAIMER:  Any suggestions or comments are not intended as medical advice, but only as general information. Please always contact your own surgeon or his staff for any specific problems or concerns you are having. Although I have many years as a medical professional and band educator,  I offer suggestions here only  as an experienced Bandster. 
zookeeper711
on 5/4/09 8:42 am - Philadelphia, PA
 Yes, the Regrets and Complications Forums are both scary places, but I believe they still need to be read...*especially* pre-op.

I had RNY surgery one year ago and have had 9 months of complications, one of which was life-threatening.  Now, unlike what was said by the previous posters, not everything is within your control.  I followed the rules to a T, I take good care of myself, etc.  Nonetheless, complications do happen and they may have nothing to do with your behavior.  *Every* surgery, no matter how major or minor carries a risk.  If you ignore rules and post-op guidelines, you are inviting trouble.  But behaving yourself does not guarantee a smooth course.  The question becomes, are you prepared to fight the struggles of medical complications in order to obtain a good, healthy weight and lifestyle?  

Keep in mind that for most people, the medical course is smooth.  If they regain weight it's because they're no longer eating properly.  That much *is* up to you.  But complications happen and it's wise to know what kind, how to avoid some of them (if possible), and honestly face whether or not you're willing to go through the bumps in the road.

Think carefully and let the information you discover here be the basis of a good dialog with your surgeon.

Whatever you decide, I wish you good health and success.  

Godspeed,

-Zook-

viewimage.aspx.jpg

Luchosays
on 5/9/09 12:02 pm - Canada
That's why I am trying to disuade my gf from having it.

Of greatest concern are the effects of long-term nutritional deficiencies, which are rarely discussed realistically. The neurological decline and aging seen after bariatric surgeries is especially rapid and results from multiple vitamin and mineral deficiencies, said Dr. Ernsberger. Both the stomach and small intestines are critical for absorbing many nutrients, including B-vitamins, calcium, iron, vitamin D and protein. Even taking supplements in multiple times the recommended amounts doesn’t help because the surgeries eliminate the proper function of the stomach and gastrointestinal system, he said. Hence, malnutrition problems are not uncommon, according to the National Institute of Diabetes and Digestive and Kidney Diseases and include anemias, osteoporosis, loss of teeth, blindness and, in a reported 16% of cases, even neurological and brain damage. We are seeing the return of nutritional deficiency diseases of starvation in formerly healthy fat people that had become rare in Western societies and are typically only seen in underdeveloped regions of the world.
MarciRenee
on 6/4/09 6:27 am, edited 6/4/09 6:27 am - IA
You really need to do some more research!!  If that is the ONLY study or journal article that you have read, which it seems to be since you keep posting it all over the place!

You are NOT being a supportive BF by trying to disuade her from having WLS.  How about trying to find one that will work for her, one that she can be successful with, and helping her research it??
Marci       
Most Active
Recent Topics
Endoscopic sleeve
stephgfl · 2 replies · 868 views
The last 35 month
julielynn · 3 replies · 8467 views
Misery Loves Company
lbmg · 1 replies · 9030 views
I want it reversed!
fatfifty · 8 replies · 11003 views