PLEASE READ BEFORE YOU HAVE GB

seaview
on 7/12/11 12:00 am
 Mac I looove it when you post...you are straight to the point...SEAVIEW
mitcla6
on 8/27/11 11:32 am - Charleston, SC
Thank you for the information, I am in the very begining of this process and I have not yet decided on which surgery I will ask for...I am going to look into this further...I think we can agree that it is worth considering and it seems very logical.
cepjo330
on 4/18/12 10:41 am - Miami Gardens, FL
Thats fine.

I too feel like it was a mistake, yes I lost a lot of weight but i was left with sadness, constant stomach pains, throwing and a sense of feeling not excepted. I just need some encouragement to help me step out of the slump am in. I am so sad because in any given week I have two to three good days. I never thought that it would be like this.
chatterpam
on 6/5/12 4:59 am - PA
A quick note - you need to be careful taking the amino acids you mentioned with some antidepressants... especially SSRIs... my doctor told me thats a huge no-no.  I have severe persistent depression and obsessive compulsive disorder.  Both are well managed with a combination of medications and behavior modification.  I found a terrific therapist who specializes in food addictions.  Addictions do transfer.  I found myself doing the booze thing and shopping.  I got a handle on it for now - and know where I need to go when I need support.  O am a year out from RNY.
Debbiejean
on 6/8/11 10:52 pm - Shelbyville, MI
Dear Brian,
Thanks for sharing your story.

I just stopped in to see what's happening. I was impressed with what you have written.
For you it's not all rainbows and sunshine. You have to fight your addictions and depression and hopefully you are getting the help you need.

Personally I think we all have "addictive personalities". I know I do. I knew about transfer addictions so I decided before I had surgery I would pick exercise to be my "transfer addiction".
I'm not a drinker and I knew shopping once I was getting thinner could be an addiction so I only shopped at Thrift shops and garage sales.

I also have an Eating Coach. Yes an eating coach. I'm not on a diet and I don't freak out about food. I post mainly on the over fifty forum (OFF) because I connect with people there.

So Brian we don't have a time machine and you can PM me if you want to talk more. You are being honest. Major depression is something not to "pooh-pooh" and I hope you can stop your destructive behavior. You are a worthy person, you deserve to be happy and healthy. This surgery is not about vanity...it's about getting your life back and being healthy.

Yes and more issues crop up with more and more people. I do want to say your not alone.
You are in a deep dark hole right now and hopefully one day you can swim out of it. This isn't about motivation. For you now it's about survival. I want you to survive. If you have to take your life minute by minute then do so. Find a good bariatric support group. Go to OA and AA meetings. There is help out there for you. You have fallen and when we fall...what do we do? We pick ourselves up and move on.

So today, don't look back on your life. Look forward. Take charge and take baby-steps. Love yourself.

Oh and by the way I'm not talking out of the side of my mouth. My body makes adhesion's, had emergency surgery for bowel obstruction. Each time they open me up it makes more adhesion's. I have stomach pain but I'm pushing through that pain and not taking any pain meds, I don't want to become addicted to any drugs. I exercise but not like I use to. I had to compromise and now am working out in the pool and I do spin class, ride my bike and walk. I have to push myself. It's not easy but I do it. I will have to have surgery again but hopefully I can hold off for 5 or more years.

Because I'm not exercising like I use to (I usually did 3 hours a day, not all at once) I went from a size 6/8 to 12/14. I've lost 7 pounds in the last few months, slowly. Again, I'm not on a diet, just practice Mindful Eating and journal...and moving. Take care, you are not alone. Debbiejean
JinPA
on 6/22/11 11:20 am - PA
I had bipolar disorder and was a recovering alcoholic before surgery.  I have never felt better.  Your problems were there pre op.  They would have come to light sooner or later anyway.  Losing the weight caused you to lose a big defense mechanism and not eating caused you to lose a big coping mechanism.

Using weed to get yourself off of booze is flat out stupid.  Gastric Bypass did not make you that way.  You need a good rehab, 12 step meetings and a willingness to participate in therapy to deal with your issues.  Gastric bypass is not killing you.  Sadly, you are killing yourself.  You would have gone down this road anyway, surgery or not most likely.  Another life stressor would have triggered it.

Please get help and get to an AA meeting. 
cowgirlJane
on 7/17/11 3:58 am
Thank you for sharing this and I a so glad you are pursuing getting help.

A lady I worked with DIED at age 41 just a few years after gastric bypass. She was a diabetic and after she couldn't eat for emotional comfort she became an alchoholic.  A serious alcoholic.  She lost her husband (divorce over the drinking), her relationship with her kids and then died in her sleep due to organ failure.  This is a serious issue. I know that the issues were there before, but lets face it, alot of us use food as a "mood stabilizer" or a form of self medicating.  I applaud you for being brave to share your story.
utahrob
on 3/7/12 5:30 pm
Brian, 

Thanks for your honesty.  I'm thinking about having WLS in the coming months, but I have fears of secondary addictions and depression.  I hope you are doing well now and thanks again for sharing your story.

Sincerely,
Utahrob
chatterpam
on 6/5/12 4:59 am - PA
A quick note - you need to be careful taking the amino acids you mentioned with some antidepressants... especially SSRIs... my doctor told me thats a huge no-no. I have severe persistent depression and obsessive compulsive disorder. Both are well managed with a combination of medications and behavior modification. I found a terrific therapist who specializes in food addictions. Addictions do transfer. I found myself doing the booze thing and shopping. I got a handle on it for now - and know where I need to go when I need support. O am a year out from RNY.
Lisanelson_2
on 6/5/12 9:35 am - Salt Lake City, UT
 You are absolutely correct. Many of the amino acids as well as herbal remedies are not to be taken with SSRIs. You should always check with your medical professional before taking anything of the sirt. Thank you for the post. I also agree that addiction transfers do occur.  I just dont believe that is the cause of most of the addiction problems that are developing in bypass patients. If so you should see similar increases in restrictive procedures like lapband and gastrectomy. 
But each person has to decide for themselves based on what they have experienced and what they know about themselves. 
Most Active
Recent Topics
Endoscopic sleeve
stephgfl · 2 replies · 871 views
The last 35 month
julielynn · 3 replies · 8468 views
Misery Loves Company
lbmg · 1 replies · 9033 views
I want it reversed!
fatfifty · 8 replies · 11007 views