how long until i'll stop being miserable?

devonbl
on 12/3/13 2:23 am

i'm 12 days out today and i regret this surgery right now.  i hate the pain i feel and i hate feeling weak, and i hate protein shakes and this empty feeling is miserable.  the huge pain in my stomach when i just want to take a gulp of water is miserable.  please tell me when things will turn around

seaview
on 12/23/13 10:56 pm

You had major surgery first of all and it will take time for your body to recover from the stress of it...ie you will be very tired...just make sure you drink enough liquid to you stay hydrated...your body is also hungry because you are eating very few calories...also not having any carbs...the pain will get better...drink warm liquids it will help with your stomach...many of us could not drink cold liquids for a long time after surgery...so warm up the liquids...tea..chicken broth etc...that will go down easier...your body will adjust to not eating carbs and slowly your energy will return...your body should not feel hungry but your head misses eating and 90% of our hunger is in our heads...so you just have to chill out and get through this...it's difficult for all of us in different ways...what will NOT be difficult is when you see the results and the weight is flying off your body...but again the physical stuff might take awhile...It took me about a month to feel pretty normal...by the time I had my first soft boiled egg I was already better that was three weeks out...give yourself some time and don't worry...regret is normal but it won't last long...keep posting...I also think that you have lost a great big friend right now which is the comfort of food in your life..that is difficult especially at the holiday time but trust me you will be so happy in a few months with your results and you will adjust to your new stomach very nicely...stay on the boards and post and get support..go to your surgeon's support groups and let us know how you do....SEAVIEW

datachick
on 1/7/14 5:48 am - WA
VSG on 10/26/12

You'll stop being miserable when you choose to.

VSG 10/26/12 • HEIGHT 5'4"
GW = 140 lbs met Month 9
CW = 133
lbs
Loss per Month: 8 >  9 > 7 > SURGERY  > 15 > 10 > 10 > 10 > 7 > 5 > 6
  > 6 > 5 > 5 > 0

It works if you work it; it sorta works if you sorta work it; and it doesn't work if you don't work it.

devonbl
on 1/7/14 6:27 am

oh you're so much help with that snark.  good job 

tdbull
on 3/2/14 1:13 pm - WA
RNY on 08/13/13
I felt awful and regretted the surgery for about 2 months, mainly due to post op complications of my gallbladder removal, which I had done at the same time as my revision from lapband to RNY. Also, maybe due to all the meds they pump into us, we can feel depressed. I know I did. I made an effort to walk outside, which felt good just to breathe in fresh air. Once you get onto soft and solids, and get a little exercise, you will feel better. I couldn't stand the protein shakes either, and to this day, never drink them. Hang in there - it will get better.

Lapband surgery in 2009 -  Revision to RNY August 13, 2013 with gallbladder removal.

HW - (260)   SW - (197)   GW - (135), updated on 1-2-14 to 125lbs  HT 5'5"  Goal reached 3/2/14-revised goal to 120 on 3/9/14   reached 4/6/14             

pickles999
on 5/12/14 10:44 am - Canada

You may always have moments when you regret it. I am 2 years out form surgery and it pops up very once in a while. Like when hubby asked if I wanted to go out for Mother's Day.why bother , I thought..I can have so little it is not worth the effort.

i am thankful every days for the surgery. Like she I ran for the first time ( my then 6 year old jumping up and down yelling..mommy YOU ARE RUNNING !!), when I wonder if I am going to fit in a little seat and I do, when I went surfing for the first time (ended up in hospital with an MCL tear in ***** Cana..still loved it..I am 49 was at my heaviest 345, most of my life around 280 and I hurt my self surfing!!!)I love the surgery when I can fit my entire body into one of my old paid of pants...size 26 in 1 leg of them...I now wear a size 4 and I still laugh when I put them on. 

WLS is the start of something amazing...really it is ! Your time will come. I lost very slow..the first month about 6 lbs. it will come...it will !

GeekMonster, Insolent Hag
on 5/12/14 10:59 am - CA
VSG on 12/19/13

It's not uncommon to second guess yourself so soon after surgery.  Just keep reminding yourself why you did it, to improve your heath, etc., and focus on your long term goals.

Right now your body is recovering from major surgery and it requires some adjustment.  You shouldn't be "gulping" water at this point.  Take very small sips, and take them often.  If you're gulping water down, that could explain the pain.  Your stomach is swollen from surgery and doesn't have much capacity right now.

You better find a way to tolerate protein shakes because they will be part of your existence for a long time.  You can't reverse the surgery, so try to reverse your negativity and channel something more positive.

I hope you feel better soon.

"Oderint Dum Metuant"    Discover the joys of the Five Day Meat Test!

Height:  5'-7"  HW: 449  SW: 392  GW: 179  CW: 220

Kathyjs
on 8/20/19 8:55 am

I had my surgery at the Mayo Clinic in Rochester Mn. Well Methodist hospital but thru Mayo and NEVER drank one protein shake. 17 years post and still at goal.

Ready2BFit4Life
on 5/12/14 11:14 am - CO

I totally feel your pain and being miserable and regrets.  My name is Stephanie i am happy and proud to say i was Blessed and had one of the biggest Life Events , gastric bypass surgery 8-22-2011.  August 22nd 2014 i will be 3years post op.  Well i instantly regretted surgery when i came to from the anesthesia THE PAIN OH MY GOODNESS!!! LOL.  honestly for me it took 1 1/2 years for me to be thankful and feel better.  I am an example of what can go wrong with surgery will happen i experienced a lot in the first 1 1/2 years.

I went from 280 lbs to 145 lbs by 3- 2012.  Now i don't lie or hide anything about myself, i am at 215 lbs. from struggling with my food addiction and emotional eating- binge eating - overeating

also poor choices in eating.  i have gone through a mental and food alphabet as far as the types of sweets and junk foods to eat, i ate because i was not ready to let go of food like that.

So as of today i am on my path to reaching my original fitness/weight loss goal of 155 lbs. i have set guidelines with my Nutritionist and this is the rest of our lives peeps so all we can do is take it one step one meal one snack one beverage one exercise session one day at a time.

I still would do it all over the exact same way and not change a thing because i am wiser and healthier today, of course a larger size but i had major health challenges before surgery and then after because i should also mention i have never had any type of surgery in my life.  I'm 37 about to be 38 8-4-2014

Well thanks for reading all of this if anybody does, lol GOD BLESS EVERYONE AND I WISH FOR ALL OF US TO LOVE OURSELVES AND KNOW WE ARE A PRIORITY ESPECIALLY IF PEOPLE HAVE KIDS OR A KID OR PETS OR A PET, FAMILY JOB CAREER WHATEVER. VALUE OURSELVES AND TAKE CARE OF OURSELVES.  GOOD LUCK EVERYONE.

dashmatrix
on 1/16/15 10:39 am

Devon,

Been there. Know what you mean. Hopefully by now though you've got a few weeks between you and the procedure. I am with you on the Protein shakes. I hated everyone I tried. I still have big jugs of that crap in the pantry that I'm too miserly to throw up because it was so expensive. But I did find a solution. First off for right now you are probably on Liquids or blender food. Don't violate that. You could try some of the smaller capacity yet more vile tasting Protein Shots. I found some that were 42g of Protein that I could barely keep down untill I got off liquids.

THEN I found Quest Bars... Thank god for QUEST. They are the best protein bar out there, and good for you too. 90% of the protein bars you will find are garbage. They mask the whey with tons of sugar or other candybar like ingredients. Read the label closely next to Snickers bar, and your about in the same ball park eating a snickers with a protein shot. NOT Quest bars. They are really healthy. 3 of them will give you your daily requirement of protein, and only about 150 cals each. I eat them everyday still 7 months afterward, one either side of lunch, and after dinner for a desert.

As for the regret in general, you are recovering from a severly traumatic internal event. Your body will get better. How quickly depends on a lot of factors. But overall you will be dealing with a new lifestyle permanently. You might want to check out a counselor. Did you surgeon make you go talk to one pre-op ? They should have. If they did make a followup appt, and go chat with them. It doesn't mean you're crazy or anything, it could help.

At the end of the day, you will eventually be happy you did it. For me it was the first time I walked into a regular clothing store that wasn't for XL BIG BOYS and bought clothes off the rack. Since them I'm sold :) but we all have our own little triggers. When you start losing the weight and feeling better, look for little things that wouldn't have happened if you had not gotten the surgery. Things like the first normal blood pressure reading or whatever. Sometimes when I find myself regretting things it's because I've started taking too many things for granted or ignoring all the wonderful things. It's way too early to have regrets, my friend. You made it through the hardest part.

Most Active
Recent Topics
Endoscopic sleeve
stephgfl · 2 replies · 866 views
The last 35 month
julielynn · 3 replies · 8464 views
Misery Loves Company
lbmg · 1 replies · 9027 views
I want it reversed!
fatfifty · 8 replies · 11000 views