wls downfalls and pity party

patty B.
on 4/28/04 9:19 am - fayetteville, NC
i talk to so many people whom are happy with there choice for the wls and are doing great and are happy, i have lost 30lbs so far and it has been about 3 1/2 weeks since my surgery, seems like when i get over one thing it;s another. and my incisions still hurt esp when i bend over/ any uplifting answers for me out there. or am i just having a pitty party?
Jessica O.
on 5/1/04 3:23 am - Apple Valley, MN
You are not a pitty party...there are a few others out there whom have had complications too I spent 3 months in the hospital following my surgery. It started out as constant nausea and vomitting, and diarreah. I was unable to keep ANYTHING down, including water. I came out for 1 week, and then back in for three months. I vomitted so much that I aspirated it back into my lungs and ended up with a very SEVERE case of pneumonia, which required 2 months of IV antibiotics. My chronic diarreah is still not completely resolved yet, nor can they find the origin of it (but I didn't have it before my surgery, so we are still working on it). Back in the hospital I was scoped 5 times, because my WHOLE pouch was completely ulcerated-for that I had to be on 3 months of IV protonix. I then got wound infections in my incisions (even thought my surgery was done lap). The wound sites had to be packed with literally FEET and FEET of gauze...OUCH! Because I was unable to keep anything down, they had to put me on feeding tubes for 3 months, all my veins were shot, so they had to place a PICC line in me. The almost were unable to get access for the PICC line...they dug in my arm for 4 hours, while I was completely awake to find a line, I had over 45 holes in my arms from all of the digging. I had problems with severe dehydration, I was so weak, I couldn't even get to the bathroom and take a shower. How's that for a pity party?? LOL...But even after all that, I don't regret it. I am almost 6 months out, and -85 lbs, and getting better everyday!!! Which I hope will be the case for you! Take care, and good luck
GrannyLaLa
on 5/7/04 10:12 am - South,, AR
These problems are why I'm considering the Lapband surgery. No rerouting of my colon, no cutting my stomach and although at first the weight loss is slower, the rate of regaining is a lot lower since you can keep a fill in the lapband and that will help keep the weight off. I've read where people stretch the pouch, the colon starts reabsorbing the calories and you pretty much can't have anything else done, like it's the last resort and if you messed it up, then you are screwed. Lapband does have some problems I'm not going to say it doesn't but it can be totally reversed and the RNY can't be. One problem is that you do have to work at your diet but you should do that with any WLS but I think that because of the malabsorption in the first 1-2 years of RNY you don't have to worry about what you eat that much, the body won't absorb it. I've read where most of the Lapbanders are able to resume their daily activities within 1-3 weeks. They are also able to absorb all of their vitamins/minerals whereas the RNYers have problems with this leading to long term problems like metabolic bone syndrome. Final thing that decided me on the Lapband was the memorial page on here, nearly all had died from complications caused by the RNY. That clicked with my memory of at least 2 people I know that have died due to their RNY surgeries. Last but not least I"m too chicken to have the RNY!
Sarah K.
on 5/15/04 12:43 am - alvin, TX
just a few friendly corrections..... the colon (a.k.a. - large intestines) is not touched during the RNY. The colon's role in a normal human is mainly the reabsorbing of water, not nutrients. You are probably thinking of the duodenum. (the first portion of the small intestines which releases almost all of the digestive enzymes that break down the food you eat. it is also the primary site of absorption along with the jejunum (sp?) which is the next portion of the small intestines) the entire duodenum and part of the jejunum are bypassed. This means that they are still fully functional, but the food you eat does not pass through them. The digestive enzymes meet up with the food later (about 2 feet later than normal). Also, the malabsorbtion NEVER stops, so if a RNY're does experience wt. gain it isn't because the "colon" or any other portion of their new GI tract it reabsorbing nutrients that were previously malabsorbed. You were very right about one thing, the RNY should NOT be considered reversible. It is a serious procedure that shouldn't be taken lightly. But on the other hand, the LAP-BAND is equally as serious. I personally don't think ANYONE should go into a surgery with thoughts of reversal. I don't know about you, but when I decide on my procedure, I want to go through one surgery and one surgery only. As for the results of LAP-BAND vs. RNY, the "lapbanders" do have a greater chance of regaining wt. (statistically of course, everyone is different). On a final note I think the MOST important part of the WLS journey is EDUCATE YOURSELF. Learn all you can and find the best surgeon available. Good luck to you and I hope you make the decision that's best for you, because that's the only person that has to live with the results. -Sarah-
ScatCat
on 5/15/04 12:58 am - Brea, CA
My gosh, Jessica!! I am sorry you have been through so much. I am pre op, and have made no final decisions, but this surgery frightens me to death. Of that, I will be honest. However, I am so tired of this life...Living in a virtual prison of my own making makes NO sense, yet I continue to abide here. Hmmmm. Thank you for your honesty! I will have to say that your attitude has to be the most awesome thing!
fiddlegal2
on 5/5/04 2:26 am - Columbus, Ga
You have done great with your weight loss....remember you had a major operation....the first 6 weeks are tough...you have a lot of healing to do...lots of tissue that has to heal...its normal for you to still have some pain...that keeps you from over doing things....keep up the fluids try to walk and keep your head up....before you know if you will be back to yourself with no pain and able to do things you have not been able to do in years . Angie
patty B.
on 5/6/04 8:49 am - fayetteville, NC
thank you for your support, i am feeling alittle better since i went back to work, that keeps your mind off things. just looking forward to time healing all things
GrannyLaLa
on 5/8/04 3:06 pm - South,, AR
Glad to hear you have gotten back to work and are feeling better! Hang in there and dream of all those SMALL clothes you'll get to wear!
Dawn D.
on 5/7/04 1:10 pm
((patty))) I feel your pain sweetheart, i dont think i felt normal until like 6 to 7 weeks out and i was all bloated up from surgery. seriously i had to avoid sharp objects with my belly. I Lost 19 pounds (i think) in my first month. You are doing great and soon you wont even know the band is there. (i couldnt even sit straight in a chair for over a month lol) Once i got valium for muscle spasms all my pain ended. But i did miss the lortab LOL Girl you have lost 30 pounds thats nothing to sneeze at, hang in there and keep looking to the future because the pain DOES end. (and its SO worth it. ((hugs))
Most Active
Recent Topics
Endoscopic sleeve
stephgfl · 2 replies · 871 views
The last 35 month
julielynn · 3 replies · 8468 views
Misery Loves Company
lbmg · 1 replies · 9033 views
I want it reversed!
fatfifty · 8 replies · 11007 views