Sad and very regretful!!!

jean H.
on 6/21/04 9:27 am - schnecksville, PA
You are not alone. I am 20 days postop and feel sick most of the time. I started soft fooods but everything I eat except cottage cheese makes me upset. I have NEVER felt this sick in the stomach for such a long time. Everyone says it gets better I wonder
Cindy F.
on 7/1/04 11:54 am - Eau Claire, WI
Hi, I had rny in sept 03 and have had so many problems 1 month after surgery all I could eat was s/f popcicles so he took me in opened me up I ahd a blockage and the I got an infection in my insision and we fought that for 4 mnths still I was puking then I went in twice to have a baloon down my throat to open open up the 2nd blockage it then took a good month before I could eat but I was still throwing up 3-4 times a day pure blle so then 1 week ago I went in and had a revision done ,my gallbladder out my appendex out and I had a herrnia and my intestines were wrapped around it I was in surgery for over 6 hours, it has been a tough 9 months and I did go through a time that I regreted it but that is the depression of it all it gets better and now yes i would go through it all again I ahve lost 177 pounds it is worth it in the end but my mistake was thinking if I could just be thin my life would be happy and that is not true you have to be okay with the person inside before you can be okay with the out side good luck and if anyone wants to chat or wants more info e-mail me ay [email protected] put wls info in the subject box God Bless
sharon D.
on 7/12/04 5:25 am - boston, MA
what does your surgeon have to say about all your problems. you never really say exactly what is going on with you. people could over suggestions to help you if you would let us know what your having trouble with.
jean H.
on 7/16/04 9:45 am - schnecksville, PA
You are not alone I have been physically ill all the way including one week preop from doing the atkins diet. I had severe diarhea for 5 weeks, now more constipated, but i feel ill EVERYTIME I eat. do no t throw up just sick feeling. I am now 6 and 1/2 weeks post out. I sure hope it gets better and that you do too.
Ramona E.
on 7/20/04 1:44 am - Beardstown, IL
I do have my regrets over the surgery but for the most part I am thrilled that I am still alive. Without this surgery I know I would have died. I will be one year out on the 22nd of July and have lost 167 pounds. I started at 346 am now at 179. I am 44 yrs old and 5'9 I can now wear a sz 8-10. I do have alot of issues with headhunger and sometimes a little nibble does help the cravings. Support groups and this site has helped me immensely. Just to know that I am not alone with my feelings and cravings. Before I had the surgery everyone I talked to that had had WLS said get past the first six weeks and your home free. I had no complications but the fatigue and building my strength up was hard. I was so sick in the beginning and I still get ill from time to time if I make the wrong food choices. What I really get upset about is everyone says OH YOU LOOK SO GREAT>>>>I was a person before too you know.. just a fat one...The one thing that is so hard to get used to is the way people treat you now that you are thin...This is a thin world no matter what the obesity statistics are. WHen I was fat people would stare at me in disgust and sympathy since I could hardly walk on my own...Now everyone wants to know what great diet secret I found...When I tell them surgery..Oh you took the easy way out and then I proceed to tell them there is NOTHING easy about this surgery you still have to diet and exercise if you do not want to sabotauge your surgery..Thin people are totally ignorant as to all we have gone through. I try to inform them in a nice way that WLS is a LIFESAVING LIFESTYLE CHange that we will have to work on for the rest of our lives. Thanks for letting me vent on this issue... Ramona
Kathy F.
on 7/22/04 10:09 pm - Manassas, VA
Sure, she's really lost the weight, but she took THE EASY WAY OUT!! I have heard this (not directly, of course) from friends and even family. It makes me crazy. First of all, what I went through even deciding to have the surgery was anything but easy. I was so scared. But at my weight I knew my chances of dying from obesity complications were far greater than dying from the surgery. Once I got over that hurdle and knew I had made the right decision, it still wasn't easy. When I had the surgery, I hardly knew who or where I was for 3 days. I have bad arthritis in my knees and could hardly stand up. I also have diabetes and my incision didn't heal. I am 5 1/2 months out of surgery and it is just now finally closing up. At about 2 months out, I had an infection and my doctor had reopen and treat. That slowed down the healing, too. Regrets? Absolutely not! Like I said, I am 5 1/2 mo out and have lost 96 lbs. I'm feeling so much better. My arthritis isn't much better yet, but I still have about 150 lbs. to go. Hopefully that will help a lot. And I'd have never made it through without the support of my kids and my doctor. Dr. Joseph Chebli did my surgery. He is very knowledgeable and skillful. He inspires confidence and calm in his patients. And besides being an exceptional surgeon, he really cares about each and every one of his patients. So don't listen to anyone who says you took the easy way out. The ones who say that are the people who don't have the courage to do it.
Regina C.
on 7/21/04 12:27 am - Dallas, TX
Hello, my name is Regina and I am just going to the doctor for a consultation and I was reading your issue. One thing I do know is that in any surgery there are regrets, but how are you doing now? It would seem to me that you were just going through some idea that it still wouldn't take work, but it does. You just got a jump start on the hardest part. I am over 100 lbs overweight and it hurts. I have had to battle weight all my life and I am not an over eater, I try to watch what I eat and I don't eat after 7pm. Now I am developing different problems that are associated with my weight. I had a major surgery 4 years ago and I battled with depression at that time. That is when the doctor told me that when your body is getting used to something and it is taken away from you, it takes some time to adjust. I hope that you are okay now.
jnetk
on 7/23/04 7:04 am - OldFort, TN
I appreciate this site and all of you so much. I'm new and contemplating RNY. I WANT to KNOW all the bad things to expect - that way I'll be better prepared. I know when I had RK surgery everyone said it was so easy and no pain. UGH! When the numbing drops wore off and my eye started hurting I was hysterical. With the next eye I was better prepared and knew what to expect so I handled it much better. The same way here. I want to know all the awful, painful, etc. things that can happen so then, if they do, I am prepared. I realize it is a choice that we have to make individually and we each will have our own rewards and regrets. I am not inferring in any way that RK surgery even attempts to be as painful, etc. as WLS but it was painful but I don't regret it at all because of the benefits. I don't mean to rattle - I just would appreciate you all being brutally honest with me about the surgery so there won't be any surprises. Thank you. Jeanette
(deactivated member)
on 7/25/04 1:42 am - SC
Jeanette: Honesty...well, let me see. There is so much involved in this surgery. First, you have the chance of being cut open and getting an infected wound that won't heal and very possibly death. That is one of the first things. Once you get past the surgery, there is the healing time. I have had an enormous amount of depression for many reasons. I never ate just because I was hungry. I don't think anyone who is over 100 lbs overweight can honestly disagree with that. I ate because I was happy, sad, alone, with people, bored, and just liked the taste of food. Basically, I was and still am a food junking. The only difference now is I physically CAN'T indulge myself as before. I feel as if I lost my only friend. I also feel like a freak. I used to be with my parents all the time. Of course, they are overweight and we always enjoyed eating together. Now, that is gone. I never really felt like I fit in anywhere else, but was always comfortable at my parent's place. Now, I feel like I have been kicked out of some elite club and belong nowhere. It is hard. I feel very alone and cling to these boards as my help along the way. I am only 3 weeks out. Right now, I wish I did not do this and could sit down and eat a nice healthy salad. But, I can't. So, somehow, through the grace of God, I have to find some contentment. All I can do is pray. Once it's done, it's done. I did loads of research, and it was not nearly enough. I thought I was prepared, but I don't know if I could have ever truly been prepared, no matter what. Basically, this decision FORCES you to do what you should do, like it or not. I guess that is why it is so successful. Good luck in your decision making.
Cynamon1 H.
on 9/30/04 4:52 am - Decatur, GA
Thanks for your email. It appears you feel the same way I do. I dont know if it is the right decision for me or not but I do know that I am sick of being tired and tired of being sick. I have left it in the Lords hands and I asked that if it is his will that everything will fall into place and so far, so good. I am starting to have issues related to my weight as well. Good luck and if you ever want to talk, feel free to contact me. [email protected] Cynsational
Most Active
Recent Topics
Endoscopic sleeve
stephgfl · 2 replies · 883 views
The last 35 month
julielynn · 3 replies · 8477 views
Misery Loves Company
lbmg · 1 replies · 9042 views
I want it reversed!
fatfifty · 8 replies · 11019 views