Can't decide

janet2279
on 6/3/04 7:57 am - Smithboro, NY
I am 25 years old and have been heavy all my life. My doctor and I have tried medication and they don't work. Now we are discussing surgery at my next appt. I have done a lot of research about WLS, and I just can't decide. I think what I am most afraid of is the pain and that something might go wrong. I've never had surgery before, not even a broken bone for that matter. I have a 4 year old son, and I want to be able to do things with him, instead of saying "I'm to tired" all the time. I just want to be happy. Any comments! Personal email: [email protected]
Darlilly1313
on 6/3/04 4:31 pm - WV
Janet, it took me a long time to decide to try for wls( insurance ) It has to be something you really want.It is a very personal desicion, it is radical, I have never had an operation either. I had a member e-mail me who said that it took her 2 years to decide. I found it very helpful to read other members profiles, after reading about a hundred,I found a couple of members with similar stories to mine, they helped me alot.I hope that you find your way.Dar
patblaney
on 6/4/04 4:26 am - Huntersville, NC
The decision to have surgery is very personal. You have to be ready to take this step and make the commitment to a new life. If you are not ready, then the adjustments will be difficult. Take your time. If surgery is right for you, then you will eventually get to a place when you are ready to proceed. If surgery is not right for you, then that is OK too. You have lots to think about. My suggestion would be to learn as much as you can about the surgery and life after. If you can attend a local support group, that is a great way to talk to other people who are thinking about or have had the surgery. Personally, I took about 2 years of thinking about it before I did it. I got to a place where I knew that, for me, surgery was my best option. My experience was fairly good. I had no complications and very little pain. I had my surgery 2-1/2 years ago and have lost 180 lbs. Physically, I feel great and wouldn't change a thing. The psychological issues associated with obesity are a little longer lasting and take time to deal with but that is why it is great we have forums like this to share with each other. Keep us posted on your progress. Pat B.
Jennifer G.
on 6/14/04 9:14 am - Long Beach, CA
Hi there! Well, it is a very big decision. I too have been large my whole life and I got tired of nothing working. Well last Tuesday was my surgery (June 8th.). I stayed in the hospital till Friday of last week. Right now the only pain I've gone through is gas pains. This is easily aided by walking like they tell you too, stretching, deep breathing, and even coughing. I was very nervous about getting it done all the way up until the day before! But I can say that you've come across the right site. All the information and support you can receive here is VERY helpful. My only gripe right now, is that I'm just a bit hungry and a little tired of liquids....other than that, I wish you well. It is a big step and I try to keep in mind that it won't be easy, but soon I'll be able to shop in stores where I can buy a cute mini and shirt for the same price it would've probably cost me to buy one t-shirt from a large woman's store! Surround yourself with loved ones and those with POSITIVE feedback. They will be your greatest support and encouragement if you have this done. Best Wishes & Biggest Hugs, Jennifer P.S. I've already lost weight and it shows.
Nancy
on 6/14/04 1:33 pm - Kasson, MN
I had a leak........... and I would have the surgery again in a heartbeat! I feel so much better and have so much more energy! I was in the hospitol for over a month with a leak........... I have an 11 and 10 year old. I can go and do things with them now I could not do last summer! The choice is yours and all you can do is decide if it is going to be right for you!
(deactivated member)
on 7/1/04 3:07 pm - WA, NV
HI I CAN RELATE IM 31 AND HAVE A NINE YEAR OLD SON I THOUGHT ABOUT THE SURGERY THEN THOUGHT NO BUT DECIDED THAT I AM GOING TO IM SCHEDULED FOR JULY 13TH AND IM TERRIFED OF THE PAIN AND THAT SOMETHING COULD GO WRONG TO BUT I KNOW I HAVE A GREAT DOCTOR AND THAT I JUST HAVE TO THINK POSITIVE I LIKE YOU HAVE NEVER HAD SURGERY BEFORE EITHER SO IF YOU WANT AFTER MY SURGERY I LET YOU KNOW THE GOOD AND THE BAD. BEST OF LUCK IN MAKING YOUR CHOICE. MY EMAIL IS [email protected]
Candik2
on 8/28/04 2:00 pm - South Central, TN
I was like you for so long, I swear I was glued to my computer. At first I wouldn't even consider WLS, but after much research & soul searching I decided on the lapband & will have my surgery in just 10 days, I can't wait!! I think what finally pushed me over the edge to have the surgery was that I was diagnosed w/pre-diabetes & I knew that was something I didn't want, I want to be around for years to come for my children & their children, that is why I chose the lapband. That & the fact that if I'm going to have surgery I wanted a tool that would be with me for longer than a 2 year window & the band met all my requirements. Good luck on whatever decision you make. Visit the lapband forum, it's chock full of info on the band. Candi
aida S.
on 9/10/04 6:05 pm - bklyn, NY
i can truly relate as well...i was so undecided...in 2001-02...i went thru all the procedures to get the rny...all the dr's and everything...2 days b4 my date...i chickened out...i was so deterimed i could do it myself...anyhoo..a yr later i was up to ove 300pds..and back to the grind of post op..this time i elected the lapband b/c it is what i felt most comforatble with..i knew this was the right decesion for me..i was hardly nervous at all..i felt very good about my decesion.. it took me 2 yrs plus to have my surgery , and tons of info that i read up on...u do the same...get a feel about all the diffrent surgeries...and u will know, in ur heart wich one is for u.. aida
Most Active
Recent Topics
Endoscopic sleeve
stephgfl · 2 replies · 883 views
The last 35 month
julielynn · 3 replies · 8479 views
Misery Loves Company
lbmg · 1 replies · 9043 views
I want it reversed!
fatfifty · 8 replies · 11019 views