SCHUDULED FOR JULY 13TH AND NERVOUS

(deactivated member)
on 7/1/04 3:19 pm - WA, NV
I JUST MET WITH THE DOCTOR AND AM SCHEDULED FOR TUESDAY JULY 13TH IM A NERVOUS WRECK SO CAN ANY ONE PLEASE TELL ME WHAT TO EXPECT AND IS THERE ANYTHING I SHOULD BE DOING BEFORE THE SURGERY TO BE BETTER PREPARED. ANY COMMENTS WOULD BE APPERICATED
Cathy W.
on 7/4/04 12:41 pm - Santa Clarita, CA
Toni, the best thing you can do is to read EVERYTHING you can get your hands about WLS so that you are fully prepared for everything that is going to happen to you. Reading the profiles of folks here who have already had surgery is probably your best resource. What is scary is the unknown....arm yourself with knowledge and you will be just fine. Once you're at the hospital, talk to the staff. Talk to the nurses and technicians who will be helping you get ready for surgery. They will explain everything they are doing and why it is necessary. They go through these procedures so many times that sometimes they forget that for patients, this is a new and frightening experience. Sometimes they have to be reminded to explain what is happening. Don't be afraid to remind them! Be sure to talk to your doctor (or his/her office staff) on how to prepare for surgery. I know that I was surprised when I was told that I had to be on a liquid diet for several days prior to surgery. I had been counting on having a "last supper", but was informed a few days prior to surgery that I had to stop eating the next day. I wish I had known that earlier! I believe that exactly what constitutes "bowel prep" is something that differs between surgeons. I think that some have you drink the preparation that cleans the bowels the day before surgery, and some just have you go on a liquid diet a few days beforehand. Be sure to find out which your doctor wants you to have so you won't be surprised at the last minute. (You really need an entire evening free if you are drinking the prep the day before.) You may also have to visit the hospital (or maybe your doctor's office) for some preoperative testing a few days prior to your hospitalization. Bring a nice robe with you when you go to the hospital. Your nurses will probably have you up and walking in the halls before you are released to go home, and you'll want to have something to cover those open-backed gowns that many hospitals still use! I was told to bring a robe to the hospital, but wasn't told why. The robe I chose was too short to cover my backside during my hospital walks. My nurse declared my outfit was "too sexy" for the halls, so I had to wear another hospital gown backwards before I was allowed out for my walks! Try not to be nervous, Toni. You are in the hands of a very experienced surgeon and I'm sure everything will go just fine for you. You'lve already gotten through the hard part -- dealing with the insurance company! Everything after that is a piece of cake.
Kelly E.
on 7/9/04 2:05 am - Saint Paul, MN
Hi Toni, I know just how you feel, I am having my surgery on the 21st of July and am feeling a little anxious. I think its to be expected, afterall we are about to embark on a life changing journey. Try to talk to those close to you about how you feel and ask them for your support. I can recommend a book I bought online called "Exodus from Obesity" which is written by a nurse who had the surgery 5 years ago and lists all of her experiences. I found it to be helpful. May God bless you and protect you on the day of your surgery and congratulations to you for taking such an important step forward!!
talldame
on 7/12/04 5:59 am - Skinnyville forever, CA
What is the nurses name that wrote this book? where did you get it online? Thanks!! LP
Most Active
Recent Topics
Endoscopic sleeve
stephgfl · 2 replies · 883 views
The last 35 month
julielynn · 3 replies · 8479 views
Misery Loves Company
lbmg · 1 replies · 9043 views
I want it reversed!
fatfifty · 8 replies · 11019 views