Doctor's Changed his mind??

peolanewhope
on 8/11/04 2:53 am - Detroit, MI
I'm going with Cori Centers for my WLS and have just a couple of things to do. Now my patient care coordinator told me to tell my doctor to write a letter stating all of the illnesses that I have. My doctor {who told me to get this surgery some months ago,}now tells me not to get it and that I need to talk to people who have had bad surgeries.He also tells me that I am not going to be able to get surgery because {I don't know how many calories are in an apple??}. Today I told him that I need this surgery and I am going to follow through with it. I have diabetes type 2, thyroid disease,and high blood pressure.I am 30 years old and I have weighed 306 for four years running. I told him I don't want to go blind have any limbs cut off or have a stroke.He says {Now that I have new and very good insurance} that I should wait a year to get the surgery.That I am not ready.That sure this will go well for six months but,that would be it.I said, I have been researching WLS for ten months now and have been on a waiting list 180 days for my insurance to cover the surgery.I am just going to get sicker and sicker if I don't do something about this now. He says,Just get on Weigh****ches for one year and that they lie about your blood sugar returning to normal.That they lie about not having to take your meds. That he wants to see it in writing from the surgeons.I tell you I don't know what to think about my doctor but,I will say this I am not going to give up not when I've come so far. Any way I guess I needed to get this off my chess. Thank you for reading.
Kristin J
on 8/11/04 11:00 am - CT
Your doctor must be a skinny little thing -- with knobby chicken legs under that white coat!!! And when he told you to "just do weigh****chers" I hope you told him to put the apple where the sun don't shine!!! Sorry you had to deal with this. There are some doctors who are more WLS-friendly than others. If you already have a surgeon, you might want to contact their office and ask them if they can recommend a doctor in your area who is familiar with the WLS surgery you've chosen and who supports a person's right to made this choice. Then schedule an appointment and get the approval letter you need. If you know in your heart what is best for you -- and if your current doctor doesn't support your decision -- then it is time to find a new doctor. Good luck - I hope everything works out for you.
Pat G.
on 8/13/04 1:14 am - Sault Ste Marie, Mi
That Doctor is a jerk.. I saw one Doctor that told me to just count calories. I was in tears. I am scared of this surgery but I want to be slim again. I want to enjoy life again. I am tired of hurting all the time. Hugs, Pat G
clpcassy
on 8/13/04 7:14 am - Chester, PA
Your doctor sounds like a real piece of work! Someone on the message boards had a similar issue and she ended up changing her PCP. Since you may need your doctor if you can't reach your surgeon in an emergency, I don't think you want to stay with a man who will be in "I told you so" mode. You deserve to be treated with respect and to have your wishes honored. At one of the DE support groups, folks talked about medical professionals who have a "size prejudice." Find a doctor who is willing to listen to you and honor your wishes. Even if he's not "thrilled" about the surgery, he/she should at least be able to be objective. This is your decision - not your doctor's. Good luck!
peolanewhope
on 8/13/04 9:25 am - Detroit, MI
THANK YOU!! To all that have responded to my pain in the neck doc. I feel a lot better and I just needed to here from my fellow friends. Your thoughts and feels matter very much again THANK YOU.
Lisa A.
on 8/14/04 1:03 pm
It sounds like to me that since you have your new insurance he wants you to stay sick so he can keep getting money from your insurance company. He knows if you have the surgery you wont need him very much. I say find a new Doctor. Good Luck with you Surgery.
peolanewhope
on 8/15/04 8:44 am - Detroit, MI
I very much think so to, How is it that you tell me to get the surgery in December 2003 and now that I have the insurance to handle the surgery you tell me I'm not ready.Tell me to talk to those who have regets.That's fine to talk with my fellow people and I have gone to Cori Center seminars.I spoke with the surgeon speaker and he had the same thoughts on my health and insurance. The people their are great as are here at obesityhelp.com.I am going to keep you all up dated on what's happening and WHEN I'M GOING TO GET MY SURGERY!! This is not going to stop me!! I just got my papers and a small list of things I need to prepare for.So please wish me luck and I will check back later. P.S Can anyone tell me how many calories are in an apple? This is stupid I know.
Sonja L.
on 8/17/04 1:48 am - Round Rock, Tx
For your answer to how many calories an apple has, it depends on what kind of apple you want to know about, but you can go to the website http://www.healthyweightforum.org/eng/calorie-counter/calories_apples/
GwenS
on 8/20/04 5:51 am - West Blocton, AL
It is important to have a good relationship with your doctor. Especially, if he is your primary doctor. I would seriously consider finding someone who would at least support your decision, even if he didn't agree with you. My present doctor wasn't as keen on me having the surgery out of concern for possible complications but, after he realized that my mind was made up (And, he knows how stubborn I am) he gave me my referral and is behind me 100%.
Tomekasmom
on 10/3/04 1:56 pm - Phoenix, AZ
It is definitely time for a change! Doctor's are in a service oriented business and if you are not getting the service you need change doctors. Talk to your surgeon's office and find out which doctor under your insurance plan will be cooperative with you on getting the surgery. This also happened to me. I changed doctor's and within 6 months I was on my way to having the surgery that changed my life. Also, let your current doctor know that if he doesn't cooperate with you, you will have no choice but find a doctor who will. Also, let him know that the research doesn't lie and the research shows that many pre-surgery problems go away after surgery.
Most Active
Recent Topics
Endoscopic sleeve
stephgfl · 2 replies · 883 views
The last 35 month
julielynn · 3 replies · 8479 views
Misery Loves Company
lbmg · 1 replies · 9043 views
I want it reversed!
fatfifty · 8 replies · 11019 views