NEED SOME ENCOURAGEMENT

justjoan
on 8/20/05 10:45 pm - Center Line, MI
i have a surgery date and well not i am not sure that i want to go through with it. i just am not sure i can deal with everything after the surgery. i am about 125 pounds overweight and have several other things wrong with me too, but for some reason, i just don't know if i can do all that's necessary after the surgery, and for the rest of my life. i totally trust GOD to get me through the surgery, its just i hate the thought of perhaps being in pain, nausaeted, etc. i fell like i am about to do the right thing, but i also feel like i may regret the decision, help out there anyone. i need prayers, the date they have for me is Sep 14th 2005 for OPEN RNY, my insurance would not pay for Lap RNY, what does that tell me??????????????? Can anyone tell me about OPEN RNY. Joan
nursygirl
on 8/21/05 1:27 pm - San Jose,, CA
Joan- First of all, take a deep breath!! I had my surgery on 7/8/05 and was scheduled for Lap RNY. Unfortunately (or as I would later say, fortunately) I had to be converted to Open. This involves an incision down my belly. When the dr began the procedure, they found a hernia, a liver that should have been inside a 400 lb man and some adhesions on an old scar. So even if I wanted the lap, which I did, I couldn't have had it. The open procedure saved my life and a future surgery which I don't have to have now. I wasn't in any more pain than someone with a lap, but did get great pain medicine in the hospital. I can stay out of work an extra 2 weeks because of the invasiveness of the procedure. I have not had any problem tolerating any food, nor been nauseated or vomiting (oops, except once when I ate too much spinach-I was in a rush). I don't regret the surgery one minute. It is about a lifestyle change. Today, 6 weeks post op, I am up and out with the birds, out with my kids, shopping for clothes 3 sizes smaller and dealing with learning to eat HEATHFULLY-watching my carbs, watching my protein, getting in the water. God does take care us...........to a certain extent. He lends us this body and gives us choices....sometimes we do the right thing and sometimes we don't. Noone is going to be upset if you change your mind. The one thing that I did learn was that if you delay, sometimes your insurance company changes their minds about the surgery or your insurance company decides it will no longer cover the procedure. My dad always said when faced with a dilemma, make a pros and cons list. Maybe try that. Just so you know, I thought about canceling my procedure too. Then, I asked God to guide me in making the right choice (armed with my list of course!!) I have never regretted it.....not once...... If I can help you in any way, please feel free to email. Good luck and Godspeed in your decision. Anjanette
T S.
on 8/21/05 10:11 pm - Athens, OH
I was scared prior to my surgery as well! I just tried to look at it like it was my life at stake. If I hadn't done it the co-morbididities would have gotten worse and I might have lost my life due to them. I fought the decision for two years and finally started researching. Found the DS and chose it instead of the RNY as I thought it was best for me. I don't regret my decision. It's been hard at times gettin in the protein and water, but I would do it again! Oh, my DS was done OPEN and for that I'm grateful. If nothing else it gives them more visual and hand space to see and do things clearly! Tonya
justjoan
on 8/23/05 12:06 am - Center Line, MI
THANK YOU SO MUCH FOR YOUR THOUGHTS, I HAVE DECIDED NOT TO HAVE THE SURGERY. BUT I KNOW THAT I WILL LOST THIS WEIGHT AND BE THE BETTER FOR IT, WITH FOLKS OUT THERE LIKE YOU, WINNING THE WEIGHT BATTLE MAKES IT MUCH EASIER. JOAN
domestic G.
on 8/22/05 1:00 am - Paw Paw, MI
Joan Being scared is normal. We all fear the unknown. Have you gone to any kind of support group yet and talked about your fear ? A room full of people who have had the surgery or are about to can and does help. The bottom line is if you do not want to go threw this just yet don't. They will give you a new date. I had my open RNY in 2001. If I eat things I know I should not yes I get gas and cramps, but that is my fault. There is some pain after surgery but it is different for each person. And being overwhelmed after surgery is normal, there are lots of things to learn, but after time it all becomes second nature. Open rny vs. lap rny...back when I had mine there was no choice, we all had open. I am still a little uneasy about doing a major surgery with a lap. But for most it is a personal choice. Either way the internal pluming they redo is still the same. Take a big breath, hug yourself and do some serious thinking, talk to everyone you can. I wish you the best Kelly
justjoan
on 8/23/05 12:07 am - Center Line, MI
THANK YOU YOUR WORDS OF ENCOURAGEMENT, I REALLY NEEDED TO READ THAT, I DECIDED NOT TO HAVE TO SURGERY, BUT AM SO GLAD THIS SITE IS OUT THERE WITH GOOD, LOVING PEOPLE TO TALK TO. THANK YOU AGAIN. JOAN
Barbara F.
on 9/9/05 12:08 pm - Antrim, NH
Joan, I understand completely what you are feeling. I had convinced myself to have gastric surgery, first I thought the RNY, then I decided on the DS. I went to see Dr Gagner in NY. All the time researching information. I still have the endoscopy to go, but right now I feel quite certain that what I am going to try to do is have a sleeve gastrectomy done. You might want to check that out, it's generally only done as a first step operation in those who are super obese. Then after they lose enough they do a second surgery. You keep your intestines and the only thing lost is the outer curvature of your stomach. You might want to check it out.
Most Active
Recent Topics
Endoscopic sleeve
stephgfl · 2 replies · 883 views
The last 35 month
julielynn · 3 replies · 8479 views
Misery Loves Company
lbmg · 1 replies · 9043 views
I want it reversed!
fatfifty · 8 replies · 11019 views