No regret about surgery

(deactivated member)
on 9/24/05 9:18 am - Riverdale, NY
While I don't regret having had the surgery (lap band on 8/10/2005) I do regret the center I chose. They sold me on their program and great aftercare and all this great mess of garbage...then the surgeon skips out of town never to be seen again and they close up shop and move to another location far, far away. It's all on my profile. I am not sure how I could have known this would happen. I just hope it doesn't happen to anyone else. I thought I'd done my homework and trusted the Center and the surgeon. I made a mistake. All the best, Suzanne
Nancy Degenmeister
on 10/6/05 9:49 pm - Bergen County, NJ
After reading that your blasted surgeon moved to Detroit!?!?! I'd suggest filing a complaint with the American Bariatric Surgeon Assocation (or something like that...need sleep). That sort of negligence should be grounds to have his membership revoked IMO. Did you have to pay any program fees above and beyond what your insurance was covering with CORI? If so, it would probably be worthwhile (if it's more than $1000) to contact an attorney because those program fees are for aftercare, which you obviously were not given. I'm glad you found that NP...sounds like hopefully the crisis of aftercare has been resolved...yay! Nancy
PATT
on 10/7/05 12:15 pm - Durand, MI
Now now.. Do you listen to the news? Detroit is currently the fattest city in America according to some rag. So the doc went were the most bucks were. Give the guy a break! After all he paid so much money for medical school and worked those long hard intern hours he has a right to do whatever he wants. HOPE YOU REALIZE THAT WAS DEFINITELY A TONGUE IN CHEEK COMMENT. As a Michigander we don't need any more unproffesional bariatric surgeons here. It's fools like him that make insurance companies wary and tougher for everyone to receive approval. I agree, report him to the Bariatric Surgeons Society. I know they are working on having their group become board certified (like other specialties such as OB-GYN's) just to sort out these kind of losers.
(deactivated member)
on 10/8/05 2:17 am - Riverdale, NY
I called the association. They said that they are basically an educational organization and have no mechanism for complaints. Apparently all a doctor needs to do is pay his or her dues and they remain a member in good standing there. CORI was quite clever~ they billed for surgeon's fees, not aftercare. Apparently they lump it all into one sum. Unfortunately and fortunately there is no legal recourse. I consulted an attorney who told me that because there are no "damages" per se, nothing physically wrong with me, there is no lawsuit. While I am grateful that I am in apparent good health, it is annoying to say the least that this center has basically gotten away with this negligent abandonment. I would like to prevent this from happening to anyone else, but it would appear that my hands are tied at least legally. I know the OH board alllows them to advertise here. I wonder if they have any idea of what's happening with this center in New York. I found aftercare and for that I am grateful. It is expensive, though and I hope my insurance will cover at least part of the cost. If they don't then I just have to find a way to pay for it.
akasha2u
on 11/15/05 9:22 pm - Virginia Beach, VA
what about breach of contract...he sold you on a great follow-up program he should either do it or supply you with similar services
Tavia V
on 12/10/05 10:07 am - Long Island, NY
Hi, Isnt patient abandonment a form of medical malpractice?
H. MC
on 11/11/05 7:41 pm - Arlington, VA
Ok I am not a lawyer but I watch a lot of TV about lawyers. Maybe you could get together with other fallen CORI patient an file a class action lawsuit. Most companies hate negative publicity they may fold just at the fear. there has to be a way to sue for the exp[ectations of the care they were supose to provide have you tried calling other CORI centers and getting a itemtized list of how the fees are allocated? later Heather
(deactivated member)
on 11/29/05 4:06 am - MD
also try alling your local news and see if it's of intrest to them.
OwossoKristin
on 1/25/06 1:43 pm - Corunna, MI
He is the same Dr. that did my friends RNY surgery at the CORI center in Detroit. She never saw him after the surgery either..........because he moved back to NY to start a new center there! Someone needs to stop him from abandoning his patients!
Most Active
Recent Topics
Endoscopic sleeve
stephgfl · 2 replies · 883 views
The last 35 month
julielynn · 3 replies · 8479 views
Misery Loves Company
lbmg · 1 replies · 9043 views
I want it reversed!
fatfifty · 8 replies · 11019 views