Hiatial Hernia & Two Ulcers - Pre-Op Question?

comingofage
on 2/26/06 11:23 pm - Taylor, MI
My WLS asked me to get a series of things done prior to them submitting my information for insurance approval. All are done now... and just have to send them the paperwork. One of the things on the list was an Upper GI because I had internal bleeding during the summer of 2005 (last summer) and was given 2 units of blood... and have been taking Iron. Here is my question. This recent Gastroscopy on Feb. 14th showed the hernia (large) with two ulcers - that were bleeding. The doctor said that since I am having WLS done - the surgeon can just repair the hernia during the operation. He said to continue with the iron and my Priolasac OT****il then. I am concerned about the internal bleeding and soon upcoming WLS. Also, the fact that I need Iron now... and many need Iron after WLS. Will that make me even MORE in need of Iron then? Has anyone else had this pre-exhisting condition prior to WLS? Is this a dangereous situation to be in for WLS?
(deactivated member)
on 2/27/06 8:48 am - Northern, VA
Lap Band on 09/30/05 with
You need to post this question on the main board, no one can help you with this question, this is the Regrets board for those who have had weight loss surgery. Also you did not specify which WLS type. Please be more specific when posting a question and someone can answer approprately. Naomi--
(deactivated member)
on 3/3/06 10:40 am - 5K from Everywhere, MN
Since Naomi missed the overall point of your question, I'll take a shot at answering you: The bleeding and hernia are certainly complications not to be taken lightly, but a good surgeon who's performed many procedures (regardless if you're doing lap band or rny) will know how to deal with it. I'd check with your surgeon rather than take your regular doc's word that the surgeon can just repair it during the procedure, but I don't know of any medical reason why that wouldn't be possible - all other things being normal. A hernia repair usually just involves sewing the muscle/tissue wall closed once everything else is done - it's not necessarily an impediment. This is assuming, of course, that you're having an open procedure. A hernia would be an obstacle to having RnY done laproscopically, for example. As for the iron deficiency - that will be something they will want to follow-up with you on more strenuously during post-op, but that doesn't mean that you'll be even more iron depleted than before. It may mean increasing the dosage of your supplement or whatever form you take it in. I've heard from people who had your same conditions and yet one additional complicating factor who had RnY done just fine.
runwolf
on 3/22/06 12:25 am - Huntsville, AL
It is simply not true that a Hiatial Hernia will require an open surgery to get repaired. I had an undiagnoised hiatial hernia that was discovered during my lap RNY. They repaired that hernia and went on with the RNY. Zero complications from that surgery and I was home in 18 hours.
(deactivated member)
on 3/22/06 9:52 am - 5K from Everywhere, MN
No one said it is REQUIRED - a surgeon decides what they're capable of handling or not. It depends on a person's anatomy and location of the hernia, which is different for different people. TYPICALLY it is an impediment to laproscopy. Again, it depends on what the surgeon is comfortable with.
Most Active
Recent Topics
Endoscopic sleeve
stephgfl · 2 replies · 883 views
The last 35 month
julielynn · 3 replies · 8479 views
Misery Loves Company
lbmg · 1 replies · 9043 views
I want it reversed!
fatfifty · 8 replies · 11019 views