was chased away from wls grads???

tamico
on 3/29/06 2:08 pm - ramona, CA
hi im thinking of having the rny and i was asking info on the wls graduates and we all got a little bothered and so i just decided not to post there anymore so im here and was wanting to know if anyone would let me know if you have had any major problems with iron, calcium, osteoprosis, and anything else that is a problem, i would really love the info and the replys thanks so much tami
Divine Lady
on 3/30/06 6:37 am - Suburb, MI
I just got my 4 month labs done and they were awesome!! I am very diligent about my vitamins and I am very particular about the vitamins I take. I know people say they take Flintstones or pre-natal, etc., but I only take a liquid high absorption vitamin, liquid calcium, sublingual B-12 and chewable B-12. These are the same vitamins I took prior to WLS. I started taking these vitamins almost 3 years ago when I started researching WLS and found out that most vitamins that we take are not absorbed by our bodies. The liquid vitamin I take is Miracle 2000. I have not been sick at all since my surgery. My only complaint is that I lose very slowly. My cholesteral was over 200 prior to surgery and now it is 157!! At my smallest weight of 144, my cholesteral was 159. Also I no longer have high blood pressure. If I don't lose another pound, WLS has been worth it for me because my co-morbids have been eliminated.
decker
on 4/11/06 11:23 pm - Indianapolis, IN
I'd recommend that you have nutritional tests done on a regular basis after surgery. At my two year checkup, we found that my calcium was running low, so we upped my intake and changed what I was taking. In a case like nutrition, preventative measures to prevent the long term problems are the best. Eric C.
liesehaley
on 4/14/06 5:53 pm - STATEN ISLAND, NY
you posted on the yahoo grads list? if so, then you didn't read the home page introduction the group is only for post ops at least 1 year out.. though newbies can lurk, they can't post. I can understand your frustration, but you have to allow Grads the space to talk about other things besides newbie questions. (no offense intended) If you have questions about nutrition then go to the ossg nutrition list.
Kriola
on 5/5/06 2:19 am - On the water, MA
Tami, I would suggest that you take your vitamins as directed. I didn't and my iron was very low, almost wanted me in the hospital. I am faithful with my vits now and doing well. Just take your vitamins. MaryLyn
Beam me up Scottie
on 5/5/06 2:23 am
whatever the reason ..there are polite ways to tell people that this group is not for them. With the RNY and the DS you will have the chance of nutritional deficiencies because of hte malabsorbtion component of the surgery. If you read through the posts on the main board, you'll often see people having to up their intake of calcium, iron (esp in women) and other suppliments as they get lab work done. The thing you have to realize is that follow up for the rest of your life is part of the surgery. It's not just a one time thing, you will need to have blood work drawn on a yearly basis (or more often if the Dr thinks it necessary) for the rest of your life. It's a trade off ..but in MHO..it's a good trade off. I didn't have the RNY, i had the DS and it's gone beyond my wildest dreams for immediate weight loss (i'm down over 100 lbs since surgery 11 weeks ago).
Sharon Moody
on 6/7/06 12:12 pm - Cambridge, Canada
Hi Scott: May l ask why so much of a weight loss in such a short period of time? Like congrats to you, but...does this not worry you some with how much you have lost? What surgey did you have? thanks Sharon M Cambridge
Beam me up Scottie
on 6/8/06 6:40 am
Hey Sharon, I had the Vertical Stomach Gastrectomy with Biliopancreatic division and Duodenal Switch...or what most people call it the Duodenal Switch or DS for short. You can find out more information about this surgery here on OH by going ot the Duodenal Switch forum or y ou can go to www.duodenalswitch.com As for the weight loss, i'm not concerned at all. With the DS most people lose at a pretty quick rate. I've heard the general goals for Dr. Hess's patients (the person who basically invented the DS) is this : 30% of your Excess weight by 3 months 50 percent by 6 months. Now i started at almost 500 lbs and my excess weight was 300 lbs. By 3 months i lost slightly more then 30 percent. The moer you have to lose the faster you lose, light weights usually go along much slower. As for being worried? Nope. I have a great surgeon who has kept a very close eye on me, i've had about 6 post surgical visits, and blood work at 4 weeks and i'm going for blood work again this month. I can't tell you how great it has been to lose 125 lbs (my weight loss as of friday) in such a short period of time, it's been life changing. I can now do normal things like sit in a resturant booth, go to the movies (before i couldn't fit into the seats), i can buy cloths now at walmart and go shopping at marshalls, best of all i can find pants my size (i had outgrown the big and tall store catelogs about a 2 years ago). I don't go into a doctors office or any public place for that matter fretting that i won't find a seat to sit in, and when i do find a seat, i'm not concerne that it will collapse under my weight. I went to a birthday party for one of my sons friends the other day, and for the first time in about 10 years i felt normal. I wasn't the fat man at the circus, i was overweight sure...but normal overweight. I was able to sit in one of those really flimsy folding chairs....and i wasn't concerned that i would cru**** When it came time to eat the DS allowed me the freedom to eat whatever i wanted. I had pasta salad, ribs, fried chicken,...i didnt' have birthday cake because i'm not a cake person...but i did go home and have some regular pudding (not the sugar free variety). I didn't have to worry about dumping (a side effect of the RNY), and i ate pretty close to what a normal person would eat (DSers have larger stomachs) except i didn't go back for 2nds and 3rds like some of the other people were doing. Hope this helps scott
slopez384
on 5/11/06 11:41 am - Moreno Valley, CA
Tami : At first I had problems gettting all the vitiams in and getting my labs done. But now I'm doing great and my labs are good. Now I'm a year out and you can e-mail me anytime. [email protected] I would be happy to answer any question I can. But remember when you have the surgery by this time next year you will be a graduate also and will be to buzzie in your life to mess with the little newbees also...But for me I love the newbees I think there should be a file just for newbies and lukers so they can ask all the question over and over and no will get upset with them.. You know like some old people do......or should I say the people who are a year out or so.... Good luck and e-mail me anytime.
Sharon Moody
on 6/7/06 12:15 pm - Cambridge, Canada
Hi Sharon Do you have any regret with respect to your surgery? Thanks Sharon M Cambridge
Most Active
Recent Topics
Endoscopic sleeve
stephgfl · 2 replies · 897 views
The last 35 month
julielynn · 3 replies · 8495 views
Misery Loves Company
lbmg · 1 replies · 9060 views
I want it reversed!
fatfifty · 8 replies · 11034 views