Making the mental shift as you lose

jenorama
on 7/14/15 8:59 am - CA
RNY on 10/07/13

I don't feel like I've had trouble adjusting to the reality of being a smaller person, but I am still surprised when I realize I am the same size as friends that have always been smaller than me.

I have a friend that is moving  and she did a huge closet purge and invited friends over to see what they wanted to take. This friend is my yoga instructor and she's pretty fit, so I wasn't really expecting to find a lot of things that fit me. To my surprise, I found several things that fit and looked great--tops and bottoms. Even a few things were too big. I have never in my life been able to just swap clothes with friends because I was always too big, so this was a pretty good eye opener. 

You're doing really well, but it will take some time to adjust. Don't put undue pressure on yourself, take pictures, pursue therapy, post here--whatever you need to do--and you'll be fine. 

Jen

Heather L.
on 7/15/15 9:18 am - Coquitlam, Canada
VSG on 03/26/15

I've been buying smaller clothes at regular intervals post-op because I have been having trouble seeing any change in my body and knowing I'm wearing something X-number of sizes smaller is helping my head catch up.  It's really weird for me to put on my old favourite shirts and have them tenting around me now.  I kind of miss them.

Also, I was out with a girlfriend the other day and we were trying on the exactly same clothes.  Not the same thing in different sizes. The same item!  And this is my totally normal-sized friend who dances 8 hours a week.  It was mindblowing.

VSG Mar 26, 2015 Dr. Sharadh Sampath -- 5'3" -- 47YO -- HW: 294 - SW: 261 - CW: 192 - GW: 175
Bi-lateral Brachioplasty May 8, 2017 Dr. Owen Reid
Lower Body Lift Oct 2, 2017 Dr. Owen Reid

"Weight is lost in kitchens, health is gained in gyms." - Dr. Yoni Freedhoff

heatherisshrinking.tumblr.com

Most Active