Breast Cancer Survivor, Mastectomy Options?

Loretta D.
on 1/15/07 11:32 am - Augusta, GA
Hello, Nineteen years ago I had right breast cancer. My surgeon performed a radical mastectomy followed by 6 weeks of radiation and 5 years of tamoxifen. As I gained weight over the years I had to buy a very large prosthesis to balance my breast. It weighs over three pounds and is about a "F" cup. I had my RNY surgery 2/8/05 and have lost 150 pounds so far. I will continue to lose slowly. I am suprised to find that my one breast just gets longer but still is a "F" size cup. I want to get a mastectomy done on my left breast for many reasons. One is so that I don't have to worry about getting cancer in that breast. I will not be able to take chemo because I have heart valve problems. The other reason is I would like to be able to buy two "c" cup prosthesis to be smaller and balanced. My question is has anyone else had anything like this done? Will insurance cover?
Kaye A.
on 2/6/07 2:47 am - Brigham City, UT
Hi, I had a radical mastectomy just a year ago. Also went through chemo and radiation. They let me go through chemo even though I also have heart valve damage. They told me that insurance will pay for a mastectomy on the other side if you have had cancer on the other side or if there is a strong family history of cancer. I understand wnating to have the other side done. I had reconstructive surgery on the affected side and then had augmentation and a lift on the the other. After all this surgery I truely wonder if I did the right thing or not. Now I live in fear of recurance on the other side. Best wishes and God bless. Kaye
RHONDA FROM KY
on 2/10/07 9:09 pm - ALEXANDRIA, KY
Hi Loretta.. I have not had breast cancer, but was looking at this Board as a friend was recently diagnosed with a lump malignancy. I saw your post.. and justed to say that I work in the insurance field. The below website may help you.. read the 4th note about Breast cancer and then go down to #14.. it speaks more on it. This is governed by HIPAA which is Federal Law.. not state which I know many ERISA plans do not have to follow state, but must follow Federal. Hope this helps and I had to giggle about your delimma with the one breast only getting longer. I started out *pre WLS* with DD, and after reaching goal find that I'm still a DD after I roll my breasts up and place them in the cup..God love us http://www.dol.gov/ebsa/publications/top15tips.html
miknikmom
on 3/15/07 2:19 am - Lake Forest, CA
I lost 120 lbs and still am a DD. I am having a double mastectomy because I have BC in left breast and Strong Family History even though I tested negative for the BRCA gene. This time I am going for a Full C no more DD. Bras are cheaper  in C , much more selection and you can get all those cute ones. Diana
Most Active