Colostomy issues

kimby K.
on 8/29/07 9:44 pm - Northwest, OH
I'm new to this forum, not because I don't like you all, but I just didn't really want to be a member of this club.  I thought this was over for be prior to WLS.  FWIW, here's my story. I met with Dr Hess for my first DS consult the week I was diagnosed with cancer (lining of the uterus) so, no DS at that time.  Surgery, radiation...all was well.  I consulted with Dr Oakley (DR Hess's 'replacement' - didn't last long) and he just wasn't the surgeon for me.  I was switched 3/06 by Dr Lane and DH was 7/06.  No complications and at goal.   We bought my dream house 1/07 and in June celebrated our 25th wedding anniversary.  Things were going well when my dear, wonderful MIL went into the hospital 7/18 (45 min away in the 'big city').  For 3 weeks we worked, took turns spending the night with her, drove to the hospital at least once a day, and watched her pass.  Her funeral needed to be scheduled to not fall on her grandson's (my DS) 16th birthday nor on her son's surgery date to remove a melanoma.  We buried her on 8/14.  The rest of that week was spent catching up at work, preparing for a 16th pool party, sorting through a lifetime of MIL belongs, etc. Sunday 8/19 I had unbearable, sharp abdominal pain.  I immediately thought 'bowel obstruction' and went to the ER.  I have stage III colon cancer and the tumor ruptured the colon.  Long, long summer.... So, if you made it this far, here is my problem:  I have a colostomy bag (temporary but for awhile).  Has anyone here had a colostomy after the DS?  I'm having trouble with it because of the tremendous quantity of DS poop!  Do RNY'ers have more poop than pre-op? I've had to completely change the bag 3 times in 10 days due to leakage.  I have a visiting nurse coming today but she most likely won't really 'get' the DS thing.   Any suggestions?  Do you know where to even send me?  I plan on cross-posting this on the DS forum as well as the grad board where DS'ers are harder to come by. I appreciate you all and value all suggestions/advice you have. Kim
Most Active