Chemo - Need to Gain Weight - Life and Death

Anggi
on 1/4/08 10:50 am - Rapid City, SD
I had a Roux-n-Y on 4/2/06. I was diagnosed with adenocarcinoma in my head on 6/27/06. I underwent surgery on 7/2/06. I did 7 weeks of radiation and chemotherapy beginning 8/7/06. I barely fought my way through without losing too much weight, but finally made it to the end of the 7 weeks. However, following treatment, I lost another 20 pounds (which felt great but I did not need to lose it).  I put on some weight over the next 8-9 months and was sitting with an extra 7-8 pounds when my cancer returned. I was diagnosed with the return of adenocarcinoma in my bones on 10/10/07. This time they say it's terminal. My best case scenario is that chemo may give me a little bit of extra time. I did two weeks of radiation in 11/07 and began chemo on the Monday before Thanksgiving. I am scheduled to have chemo every 3 weeks. However, my doctor cancelled my 3rd chemo for a week because I had already lost 14 pounds. Scans indicate that the chemo is keeping the cancer from spreading (although not shrinking what is already there). Unfortunately, my doctor is very adament that if I lose any more weight, chemo will have to be stopped until I gain some weight back. (During which time the cancer will continue to grow.) I eat as much as I can throughout the day and am basically stuffed and miserably full from the time I wake up until I go to bed. I have hypoglycemia and dumping syndrome, so I have to watch my sugar intake. I can not just eat junk food because I have to be mindful of nutirution in addition to the number on the scale. So I eat lots of fat protein foods (hamburgers. etc).  If anyone has any suggestions, I would be eternally grateful. Thanks, Angela
Kathy & Rich
on 1/15/08 10:21 pm - Fairfax, VA
Can you do protein shakes to get your calories up? My heart goes out to you. Kathy
PinkRibbonLL.gif, Denis Ryan improved pink ribbon - 2002, thanks Denis! ~Kathy~5'7.5"~lap RNY~05/20/2005~ PinkRibbonLL.gif, Denis Ryan improved pink ribbon - 2002, thanks Denis! 279/276/244/160/148/185 (high/consult/preop/goal/low/current)
~Rich
~6'5.0"~open RNY~08/05/2004~>500+/450/437/250/239/320(high/consult/preop/goal/low/current)
(deactivated member)
on 4/2/08 3:02 am - Canada
Wow your situation moves me excessively!  First of all you will be in my prayers!  Angela if I may I'm going to recommend doing what most body builders would do when trying to gain weight.  Accompany a protein shake with your meals that you're eating.  It'll be like have 2 meals together.  This would probably be the safest and fastest way to help you and completely harmless! I hope your travels come and go without pain my friend.  Take good care of  yourself!
Most Active