pre wls and and questions on RNY and cancer

(deactivated member)
on 5/18/08 1:34 am - MN

First i do not have cancer i just come from a long line of  colon cancer. Both my grandpas and my dads brother died of cancer that was first found in the colon. My mother went through chemo for colon cancer last year and is doing well. Just doing the pro and con list for RNY and lap band and wondering a few what if's. like what if you have cancer how bad could it be if you had RNy and the malnurousment factor. thanks all !

kat87120
on 5/18/08 1:12 pm - Albuquerque, NM
Jlynn, I can share my two cents if you would like.  I am a colon cancer survivor.  I had to have my entire colon removed 4 1/2 years ago and then went through another round of cancer a year later (tumor in my pelvic area, cancer in my lymph nodes and also vaginal cancer).  I did the chemo and radiation rodea and am now 3 1/2 years out and having wonderful check-ups.  Because of my health history my surgeon did not recommend the lapband.  I am prone to urinary tract infections which bring with them (at least for me) a high fever.  The surgeon believes that with the high fever and having something foriegn in my body that my body may try to reject the lap band.  As for the RNy, that is a possibity but not the best option in my case.  Since I no longer have a large intestine neither I nor my doctors want my small intestine tampered with in any way.  Please know, I consulted NUMEROUS doctors and surgeons so I would be well informed and make the right choices.  At all of the surgeons and doctors suggestions I am going with the vertical sleeve.  With the sleeve there is no, or limited, concern of malabsorption as no part of the intestine is sliced, diced, spliced or in any way touched.  With the sleeve a section of the stomach is removed, everything else stays in place.   I am not a "pusher" of any one particular WLS over another, I believe it is an individual choice and that the decision should be made only after that individual has spoken to more than one doctor (second opinions are a must in my book) and the best course of action is determined.   A side note, please....  I'm not a "pusher" of which WLS you opt for but I am a "pusher" of colon cancer awareness.  For too long colon cancer has been kept quiet because it was "that" cancer that dealt with "that" part of your body.  From the family history you descibe I can only hope that you are on top of your check ups and, depending on your age, have a routine colonoscopy.  I was a "freak", so to speak, no one in my family had ever had cancer, let alone colon cancer but once I was diagnosed my entire family went in for checkups.   What ever your choice I wish you the very best.  Please be informed (looks like you are on a good start as far as your research) and please give my best to your Mom for a future of continued good health. Katherine

You don't drown by falling in the water. You drown by staying there.
Unknown Author
Failure is only a fact when you give up. Everyone gets knocked down, the question is: Will you get back up?

(deactivated member)
on 5/20/08 12:14 am - MN
Thank you sooo much for all your advice  and a bit of your story. I appreciate any and all words/advice. Congrats to you and best wishes for you also.  Jill 
marylin99
on 5/20/08 4:37 pm - MO
I am a colon cancer something,...not sure if I can call myself a survivour or not, but I am a WLS survivor and I am not a surgery pusher either but I did have a different surgery then band or RNY.  I had the DS and I know that I had my colon resection just 3 months after my DS and have been doing fine so far.  I was very lucky because I am able to eat what I need to eat and if I need to take NSADS I can because I have a full working stomach I can eat which helps when you have cancer I have read the post here of the people with cancer and having the RNY and they don't post any longer and I don't know what has happened to them at all. I know that it is really scarey to me, I can just imagine what your thinking.  My brother has been fighting stage 4 colon cancer just a little over a year now and my dad died with cancer not sure what kind his was but not colon, several uncles and cousins have had it also.  Just lost a cousin younger then I last summer to colon cancer, she had fought it for several years.  So I can understand how you feel.  I hope you know that if you need anything you can pm me cause I don't come here very often,...but I would be glad to chat with you anytime.  Good luck with your journey and research all your options and don't let anything stop you from doing what you feel is right for you.  If you are having trouble then you haven't found what you need for you and keep looking it will happen.  When it does it's like a light blub goes off in your head, or it's like you just found a pot of gold and don't know what to do with it.  I really don't know how to explain but when you find what your looking for it really does feel like you found your long lost friend and you will feel like you are on top of the world. Good luck to you and your family and I wish you nothing but the best and hugs baby you will get there. Marylin
Most Active