wls, breast cancer and tamoxifen

weightlossdreamer
on 7/25/08 9:11 am - Canada
Hi everyone.
I am a breast cancer survivor.  I was diagosed four years ago, had a lumpectomy and have been on tamoxifen for four years.  I have one more year of tamox, and I want to have wls.
Are there others here who have had breast cancer, are on tamoxifen and have had weight loss surgery?
Which surgery did you have?  Was there concern for the malabsorptive affect of drugs after wls?  Did you take tamoxifen in some other form to make sure that you were getting the correct dosage?
When I get to the point where I see a wls surgeon, I will ask lots of questions, but, in the meantime, I would like to hear from people who have already been through this.  I'm hoping that taking tamoxifen did not eliminate your chance of wls. 
I realize that the amount of weight that I'm carrying increases the risk of the cancer returning.  I am one of four sisters and three of us have been diagnosed with breast cancer.  I will do whatever I can to lessen the odds for me, and I'm convinced that wls will lessen the odds.

Thanks and hugs to all

Margaret    
HW: 250
SW: 240
CW: 173.8
GW: 150

The greatness of a nation can be judged by the way its animals are treated.
Mohandas Gandhi

Lilly_Girl
on 7/28/08 10:44 am
Me too! We are practically on the same time table.  Rather than Tamoxifen, I'm on Arrimadex and Zoladex.  I had the very same questions you do.  Interested to know if anyone has any insight.

kat87120
on 7/29/08 2:43 am - Albuquerque, NM
Margaret,

I am a cancer survivor as well but not breast cancer (colo-rectal, squamous cell in my lymph nodes and pelvic area and Stage 4 vaginal cancer) so I can't help you with your questions... but, I applaud you for taking such an active interest in your plans!  Research, research, research is the best thing in the world you can do until you actually start your process to find a doctor right for you and make your surgery decision.  You are so right with your statement that the extra weight increases your risk of the cancer returning.  Good luck in your research, don't let up! And keep on the good health road!  My best to your sisters as well.

Katherine 

You don't drown by falling in the water. You drown by staying there.
Unknown Author
Failure is only a fact when you give up. Everyone gets knocked down, the question is: Will you get back up?

Victorious_one
on 12/13/08 10:27 pm - South Central, PA
Hi there, Margaret.  I am seeking the DS because it has the best success rate percentage wise in terms of the weight not returning.  That's my biggest issue--to get the tool that will help me best to keep the most weight off.  I have no problem losing the weight, it's the keeping it off that has been the challenge for me.

There's also the issue of "eating personality" and "risk aversion" for each individual person to consider as well.  Some people pick RnY or other surgeries because they want a built-in aversion to sweets and a control on the amount and type of food they eat.  Some people pick a band or sleeve because they see those as safer and less invasive.  Every person has to pick what works best for them, their beliefs, and their life.  I do hold fast to the saying, "think twice, cut once."

Many docs will try to talk you out of DS, or minimize it as an option.  You can get more information on it at
www.dsfacts.com, www.dssurgery.com,  or www.duodenalswitch.com, which will help arm you with your own information.

I hope it all works out well for you!
Nicole  Lab rata data link- One-half of a DS couple!  - I'M BELOW GOAL!
 http://bit.ly/DSExp  After a very rough start it's official--I my DS!  Romans 8:28 
Looking for DS information? Start at 
 http://bit.ly/newDS and DSFacts.com 
LilySlim - Personal pictureLilySlim Weight loss tickers         
robin91
on 12/27/08 4:41 am
Hi, Margaret! I am a breast cancer survivor (1+ years).  I was diagnosed with Invasive Ductal Carcinoma - Stage 3 in March of 2007.   After chemotherapy, a mastectomy and radiation concluded, I discussed WLS with my Oncologist.   This, of course, took place after a reasonable amount of time, to which he told me he would support my decision for WLS.  In fact, he consulted with my WLS surgeon during the whole WL process.  

I had Lap Gastric Bypass.  The surgeon required I have some pre-op cancer testing prior to accepting me as a patient.  I had:  ekg, mammogram, Petscan and Catscan.  Everything came back clean (thank you, God!).   So after that, it was full steam ahead.  

I had my WLS on 12/4/08 and I've already got more than 30 lbs. off.

After my WLS, they took me off all my perscription meds, including Tamoxifen for 2 weeks.  This was decided by the surgeon and my Oncologist, who concurrred.  It's better to have nothing to avoid clotting after surgery.  Now I am back on my pills.   

I have had no problems.      

Make sure to keep your Oncologist in the loop with this and your WL surgeon.  They will both work together to make sure the correct steps are taken.  

I have no regrets & am finally looking foward to the spring and summer of 2009!
(deactivated member)
on 1/24/18 3:40 pm

Hi Robin91,

I am in the same boat and I am looking to have wls next month. I am on tamoxifen and I wondered if you had any issues with hair loss? I expect to lose hair after wls, but I am worried since the tamoxifen impacts estrogen, that maybe my hair might not grow back? Yikes!

Thanks for any insight!

ssciolino
on 2/1/13 9:24 am - Webster, NY

Hello, I had RNY 5 years ago, lost all the weight and have kept it off.  Last May I was diagnosed with DCIS.  Had two surgeries and 7 weeks of radiation.  The medical oncologist put me on Anestrazole for the next 5 years.  Since July I have gained almost 10 pounds and my blood pressure is going up.....weight gain, hypertension..two side effects of the drug.  I am so disappointed.   Made an appt with the bariatric dietitian.  Hope she will give me some advise.  Take care, Stella

"Life is a succession of lessons which much be lived to be understood"  Helen Keller      
jeterway
on 2/23/13 9:30 pm
Wow. Just saw this post. Since so many of you have been diagnosed with breast cancer, have you had the genetic testing to see if you have the gene mutation? I have a long history of breast and ovarian cancer in my family. Luckily my pop asked some questions which in my mind saved my life. It was determined that I had the brca1 gene mutation. My first step was having my ovaries removed along with a hysterectomy. Knowledge of the gene mutation is what finally caused me to get serious about my weight and peruse wls. I had already co pleated my 5 years on tamoxifen as a preventative. I had rny - took off 100 pounds. Have struggled to get more off but regain hasn't really been an issue. About a year and a half ago, I had a bilateral prophylactic mastectomy with reconstruction from my abdomen. This gave me most of a tummy tuck along with a breast lift while also substantially reducing my risk of breast cancer. If you haven't been tested, I would strongly suggest you do so, so that you can evaluate all of your risks and options.

JoAnn

David147
on 7/3/15 10:25 pm

Talk to your oncologist about evening primrose oil. My oncologist suggested it to me while on tamoxifen and it seemed to help reduce the hot flushes - it may have been co-incidental, but may be worth trying if your oncologist agrees.

Pamela K.
on 4/24/09 9:34 am - Reedley, CA
Hello to everyone that posted here,

I am also a breast cancer survivor. I was diagnoised on June 5, 2007 with stage 3 invasive ductal carsonoma,estrogen + on the left, and stage 2 invasive ductal carsonoma, HER2NU+ on the right. This proved to be a quite drawn out process due to the fact that I also have congental heart failure. My onocologist was recommending massectomies after chemo to shrink back the cancer then possible radiation.Several doctors later it was determined with my heart and the weight combination I had the bi-lateral mastectomy was too long and too much. So I went for a second opinion at Stanford U and had them do the bi-lateral lumpectomies. That's also kind of a long story but I'll get to the quick. I just finished up the radiation in the beginning of August of last year and my dr put me on Tamoxifen to be taken for 5 years. When I went in for WLS consult I asked if that would put any complications and my WLDoc said it would not be an issue, but he would consult with my onocolgist on that and other issues as well. I talked to my onocologist as well and he said he didn't see any issue with it and was very encouraging for the surgery because of the weight being a factor of reocurring cancer. I had the RNY last week (4/17) and have continued to take the tamoxifen right on thru. I lost 11 lbs already and am thrilled with the results. Everything on schedule and I'm able to go off the blood pressure meds already YIPPEE!! In fact tamoxifen and the vitamins are the only thing I"m taking right now.

I see that several of you have had the WLS for awhile now. Have you had any bumps in the road with that involve any of your treatments/surgeries or drugs you take for the cancer?

Most Active