Hodgkins Lymphoma / gastric bypass

Hope0818
on 8/22/08 5:48 am - NJ
Hi - I'm new to OH.  I have met with one doctors group and went to a 3 hour seminar from another group ---- just covering all my bases. 
Has anyone had trouble getting approved due to having cancer?
I was diagnosed in January 2000, went thru almost a year of chemo + some radiaiton and have been in remission for a long time.......yeah!
I'm not foreseeing any problems just thoughtmight be a good idea to prepare myself.
I'm meeting with my PCP Monday, and already ahve the dietician, psych, and surgeon
appoiontment set up.
Thanks-
Nancy (NJ)
marylin99
on 8/24/08 5:24 pm - MO
I don't know a thing about whether they will let you or not,....I would say it would be up to your PCP and your cancer doc.  I just want to wish you luck and I hope that you have done your researching and found something that if you got cancer again that you would be able to take care of yourself. I know I found out after WLS and I was very thankful for me choosing the DS, because I may of had some problems with my nutrition other wise.
I hope all goes well for you and I'm so glad that you have been cancer free for so long.
Marylin

kat87120
on 8/25/08 3:25 am - Albuquerque, NM
Nancy, a {{{{{BIG HUG}}}}} for you being cancer free for so long, that is wonderful!  I am not quite four years out with my last go around with cancer and I had the vertical sleeve gastrectomy done May 29, 2008.  Like you, I went through round after round of chemo and radiation so I wasn't so sure my insurance would support my desire for WLS.  Please, if you haven't visited with your oncologist, I would suggest you do that first and foremost.  Depending on what area of your body was affected by your cancer your oncologist may have a little insight as to what surgery is best for you.  I had colo-rectal cancer and vaginal cancer as well as cancer in my pelvic area and a few lymph nodes.  Because the cancer was so wide spread they had to remove my entire colon, thus making a gastric bypass out of the question.  Again, I would suggest you contact your oncologist, get his opinion (and probably his support!) and then proceed with all your ducks in a row.  As stated by the previous poster, RESEARCH RESEARCH, RESEARCH!  One particular WLS may be great for one individual, but it may not be what is best for you so do your research.  Good luck and keep us posted!  Hope to see you soon on the losers bench!  

Katherine 

You don't drown by falling in the water. You drown by staying there.
Unknown Author
Failure is only a fact when you give up. Everyone gets knocked down, the question is: Will you get back up?

RoseAgain
on 11/9/08 5:42 am
I was diagnosed with non-hodgkins lymphoma, 12/99.  Been in remission since chemo was completed.  In my case, the lymphoma was irrelevant to the RNy that I had done on 4/15/08.  Don't know if my doctor even mentioned it, in his request letter to my insurance company.  Hope this helps.

Cindy
Most Active