How to proceed - non hodgkins lymphoma??

dhenise
on 5/29/09 10:02 pm
My daughter - age 20 - has the same weight issues that I have.  We attended a seminar and are interested in proceeding with surgery.

My question. She was diagnosed and treated (chemo) for non hodgkins lymphoma last year. Test results to date have been exceptional. During her last consultation, I mentioned weight loss surgery. It was obvious from the start that her doctor seemed against it .......... for everyone. I asked several specific questions, and never got real answers. So I'm frustrated.

I hope this doesn't seem like I'm pushing my daughter to risk something. Nothing could be further from the truth. We are just looking at the facts.  People in her age group who had lymphoma have a higher than normal chance of getting another form of cancer later in life. Obesity is know to increase the risk of some forms of cancer. A healthier more active lifestyle would seem to be a perfect option.
Yes, the mental part of this also plays a part, but I've never mentioned it when we talk. It breaks my heart knowing/seeing all the things she's missing due to weight issues. The looks, the discimination, and how she's drifted away from all the things she used to love. I know it first hand ........... and I know it hurts.
We were told it would help get surgery approved if we got a letter from our doctor.  He's given his blessing for me ......... and would for her .......... but wanted to differ to her oncologist. I'm thinking this could create a problem.
Has anyone dealt with this issue or know where I might find additional resources?

Thanks
Victorious_one
on 6/3/09 1:53 pm - South Central, PA
I posted this article a while back.  It may help sway your daughter's onc:

http://www.obesityhelp.com/forums/cancer_survivor/3816729/Bariatric-Surgery-Reduces-Cancer-Risk-in-MO-Patients/

Oncologists are conservative by nature.  If your daughter can articulate why surgery is a best option for her, he's more likely to be supportive.  They sometimes want patients to wait a certain amount of time/years before they get on board with any life change, such as having a baby.

Let us know how it turns out!
Nicole  Lab rata data link- One-half of a DS couple!  - I'M BELOW GOAL!
 http://bit.ly/DSExp  After a very rough start it's official--I my DS!  Romans 8:28 
Looking for DS information? Start at 
 http://bit.ly/newDS and DSFacts.com 
LilySlim - Personal pictureLilySlim Weight loss tickers         
sotto_voce
on 6/5/09 9:14 am - Alpharetta, GA
I am 27 and was diagnosed with Hodgkins Lymphoma at 24. I had 6 months of chemo and a month of radiation. Thankfully I've been in remission for 2 years. My surgeon required a letter from my oncologist before proceding.

My oncologist's concern was mainly about the ability to get enough nutrition during treatment, should I develop cancer again in the future. I have having the DS surgery on July 7! I'm not sure which sugery she is considering, but I've had both RNY and DS surgeons (I originally investigated both procedures) assure me that the intestinal portion can be reversed to bring back "normal" absorption if needed down the road. The stomach portion of the RNY can be reversed, as well. There is always the option for TPN if she still isn't being nourished enough during treatment.

Not sure about your daughter's experience, but I actually GAINED weight during my chemo - about 40 lbs - and that is what finally pushed me to have WLS.

Good luck!

Most Active