HELP i need some input please.....

chatty53
on 8/9/09 12:37 am, edited 8/9/09 12:38 am
Hello im chatty53
   i was told by my ob/gyn surgeon that i have uterine cancer and that i need to have a complete hysterectomy now..but the problem is he cant perform the surgery due to my weight is in the way...he said loosing weight slowly is not an option for me cause time is not on my side..he said a yr. to 2
    he told me i need a gastric bypass now and then when i loose 100 to 150 lbs he can go in and do the surgery i need to stop this cancer..but not till then..
    well i have done all the paperwork and im now waiting on the approval..just turned it in this week.
  so what im hearing is it will be a while and also after at least a yr there too..so im cutting close i think..
         im having such mixed feelings about this surgery cause of the severity of it all..lots of permanet changes and lots of risks..wow scared to death of maybe loosing my hair or ulcers or bowel problems due to being cut or what about the dumping and incission leaks..wow so much can go wrong..reading the posts i see it does happen more t han i want to admit.
     My phychiatrist sent me a copy of what she sent in to my insurance co..and she said im ok to do this and all but im mild depressed and feels i should have more thereapy..she said i am holding my feelings in about the whole thing..
she also says i should talk to my pcp for some meds but at the time of the consult she told me i didnt need medicine cause she felt i could do without it..
               she feels with finding out about the cancer and now being forced to do the surgery for wls this is alot to handle..
   so i was upset when i read all that..i dont know if the insurance will hold back on me cause of it or require i seek more help first..
            i have so many feelings and i think that is depressing me cause i just want to feel at peace and do something..does that sound CRAZY???
                well just had to vent how i feel..thanks for listening.
          BMI:74.5                                  
Libby S.
on 8/10/09 10:27 am - Mobile, AL
 Cancer and surgery are indeed a lot to handle, and depression and uncertainty are normal right now.

There are risks involve in any surgery, but the benefits outweigh the risks, especially in your case, it seems.

Some people do have more unpleasant side effects than others, but the majority of people do just fine.  Choose a surgeon that has plenty of experience. Ask lots of questions.

Also, if you haven't already, you may want to seek another opinion with regard to treating your uterine cancer too.  If you are able, I suggest that you go to MD Anderson Cancer Center in Houston for a consult.  They are the number one cancer hospital in the United States - - and your insurance should cover your visit.  There is even a service called "Angel Flight" to help fly you out there if you can not afford to fly.

Good luck.  

chatty53
on 8/11/09 1:29 am
thank you Libby
      i appreciate the words of wisdom and i will check into that center...never even thought of doing that..i am been so absorbed on this WLS that nothing else was being thought of...  i have lots of fears but im hoping that they will be ok with proper nutrition and exercise..
       thanks again.....chatty53
mom4sadie
on 8/13/09 8:49 am - Williamsburg, KY
Hi Chatty!  I'm Deb.  I am 40 years old and had my gastric bypass 10 months ago.  6 days ago I was diagnosed with uterine cancer and know what you are going through... but I will share with you what was shared with me by the oncologist I saw monday.  He said the gastric bypass slowed my cancer growth down.  It is an estrogen fed cancer (basically fed by being obese) so with the weight loss.. it lessened my estrogen levels and probably slowed the cancer down.  i found that encouraging.  I'm not a doctor and can't tell you this all for fact, all I can do is share my story.  I am grateful for my bypass and grateful that my cancer has been caught early thanks to a doctor who listens to me and is proactive.  if you need someone to talk to, I'm here... and I understand.  Best wishes to you... but I would get a second opinion on the cancer surgery... I don't understand why they can't do the hysterectomy at your current weight to help save your life too... but maybe their approach is better... but I would seek a 2nd opinion.  Good luck.. and let me know if you need or want someone to talk to... I certainly understand.  I am having my hysterectomy on Wed. the 19th.

Deb

Ontario_Dee
on 8/19/09 12:17 pm - Brooklin, Canada
Hello, Chatty:

My name is Dee. About six weeks ago, I travelled to Michigan for DS surgery. Unfortunately, when my surgeon, Dr. Hares, opened me up, he found ovarian cancer. Instead of doing the DS, he performed a complete hysterectomy and aggressively removed all signs of cancer from my abdomen. I had a CT scan done five days later and no cancer showed up in the scan.

I was told that I was lucky that the cancer was discovered by a bariatric surgeon working out of a specialized facility. It seems that many gynecological oncologists wouldn't have risked doing surgery on me at 300 lbs.

On August 31, I begin chemo. According to my hematologist, my chances of surviving 5 years are about 50-50. Not great odds, but I am relatively young (45) and prepared to fight.

My point is, my surgeon, Dr. Hares, specializes in patients that weigh over 700 lbs. (To him, I was a "lightweight" at 300 lbs.) If you're looking for a second opinion and are prepared to travel, it might be worthwhile to check him out. He has 30 years' experience as a surgeon. You may find that he's willing to consider doing the hysterectomy and the wls surgery at the same time.

I must say that, since the surgery six weeks ago, I've been feeling great. Despite the cancer diagnosis, my lengthy incision has healed beautifully, with no infection or other problems. I owe my life to my decision to have weight-loss surgery with Dr. Hares, because otherwise the cancer might not have been caught until it was too late for treatment.

That being said, I do hope that you can find a way to get treatment for the cancer sooner rather than later. No one should have to live with the kind of stress that this situation is putting you under, my dear.

Take care and do feel free to vent whenever you need to do so.

D.

Denise H: Ovarian cancer survivor & wanna-be DSer.
HW - 384 lbs. / CW - 316 lbs. / GW -140 lbs.
Second consult with Dr. Hares - March 23, 2010 / Met with nurse at TWH - May 4 / Appt with TWH surgeon - July 16 / Hoping for a referral for OOC surgery - TBD

Note: Ticker based on highest weight, not surgery weight.
betty1958
on 9/5/09 6:50 am
Hi! I know you posted several weeks ago, but hopefully, you'll still see this.

I was diagnosed with ovarian cancer a year after my WLS. Fortunately for me, it was a non-agressive form, and even though the mass was large, there was no spread. Still needed a hysterectomy, though ...

I recommend that you see an gynecological oncologist. They are best for any gyn surgery that is, or may potentially be, cancerous. They know how to do the staging, the lymph node testing, etc. It's too important to leave in the hands of someone who is not an expert.

They may tell you something different than your ob/gyn. They may recommend the gyn surgery first and the WLS second. Just because the doc you saw said it can't be done doesn't mean that another doc will think the same way!

Good luck to you! 

WLS saved my life twice: I lost 170 pounds and now weigh 150. I developed an incisional hernia which led to the CAT scan which discovered my ovarian mass.
dullrich
on 11/11/09 11:19 pm
Hi Chatty53,
I know this is a late posting. I'm justing getting into this site.

I had uteran cancer and a complete hysterectomy a year ago last May. At about 80 pounds overweight.

I do hope that you have sought a second opinion and that you have had the surgery. My prognosis with chemotherapy has been very good.

I'm thinking good thoughts for you!
d
YankeeRose
on 11/15/10 12:25 pm - Meadville, PA
Hi! I know your original post was a while ago but I just now saw it. I had uterine and ovarian cancer and a complete hysterectomy a year ago. I had an excellent gynecologic oncologist, Dr.Marta Crispens from Vanderbilt Medical Center in Nashville, TN. I am 200 lbs overweight but My gyn/onc surgeon was able to do a complete hysterectomy on me. In fact I asked her about getting the RNY at the same time or shortly thereafter and she said NO. She said chemo mixed with a new RNY was be a recipe for disaster. She said most bariatric docs with a cancer pt come to her first to get rid of the tumor before they would even consider doing bariatric surgery. So my point is this: get a 2nd or even a 3rd opinion. It's YOUR life and you have the right to seek a 2nd opinion.This is cancer we're talking about and that's nothing to play around with. I will tell you this (in case you have not begun cancer trmt). Chemo is no joke. You will be run down, weak, sick to your stomach, etc. Now that I have been through the chemo, I can understand why my oncologist was against it. Just my 2 cents worth. Good luck with whatever decision you make.
YankeeRose
on 11/15/10 12:29 pm - Meadville, PA
Most Active