stomach cancer

kjg
on 10/13/09 11:02 am - ND
What would happen if you got stomach cancer after you had the rny done.  Would there be no hope because the stomach is so small.   Just trying to cover all the bases before I make my final decision on rny or lapband

Any info would be great

Victorious_one
on 12/5/09 4:53 am - South Central, PA
Hi there.  I would say that the decision for your surgery should NOT be based on an issue around cancer.

You can have a CT or PET scan of your stomach if there is ever an issue.  The pouch in the RNY is not scope-able, but you can still see it on a scan.

What did you decide?
Nicole  Lab rata data link- One-half of a DS couple!  - I'M BELOW GOAL!
 http://bit.ly/DSExp  After a very rough start it's official--I my DS!  Romans 8:28 
Looking for DS information? Start at 
 http://bit.ly/newDS and DSFacts.com 
LilySlim - Personal pictureLilySlim Weight loss tickers         
(deactivated member)
on 1/12/10 12:32 pm
 nope that is not a reason to worry about - amazing how we worry - i DID think of
this before my surgery too!  there are lots of ways around it, so no worries. There are
more risks of cancer with obesity than pouch worries, :D
Jeff B.
on 3/15/10 4:10 pm - Gilbert, AZ
Had RnY July 2007 and diagnosed with Pre-Cancer. Many options for me, particularly since it was caught early. Many RnY patients still have the repository stomach which can be reattached and reused. Or, simply do a D-switch. Lot's of hope out there for stomach cancer WLS patients.

Jeff
Allisoninjax
on 9/18/13 1:00 am - FL

Hi Jeff,

I know this post is old from 2010.  I hope you are still on the board.  I would love to share thought with you.  I was just told that I might have cancer of the stomach.  I had a RNY 11 years ago.  They found it by accident while doing a MRI on my back.  They have done a CAT scan and I go in this Saturday for a Pet scan.  I am very worried.  I am terrified.  If you have any information to share I would appreciate your time.

Thank you!

Ali

kylee
on 5/9/10 11:18 pm
Only after consulting with a bariatric surgeon, dietician, and psychologist will you know if bariatric surgery is right for you. Bariatric surgery is a life choice requiring life-long changes in behavior, eating habits, and lifestyle. Be positive.
Health is important!

David147
on 7/3/15 4:27 am

Stomach cancer is cancer that occurs in the stomach — the muscular sac located in the upper middle of your abdomen, just below your ribs. Your stomach receives and holds the food you eat and then helps to break down and digest it. 

Another term for stomach cancer is gastric cancer. These two terms most often refer to stomach cancer that begins in the mucus-producing cells on the inside lining of the stomach (adenocarcinoma). Adenocarcinoma is the most common type of stomach cancer. 

Stomach cancer is uncommon in the United States, and the number of people diagnosed with the disease each year is declining. Stomach cancer is much more common in other areas of the world, particularly China and Japan. 

Most Active