What size : new breasts?????

StarWish624
on 11/18/09 5:54 am, edited 11/18/09 5:58 am - Bakersfield, CA
  I have lost 178 lbs. since my RNY. I am near goal weight. I was VERY large breasted for years before the weight loss. I went for my consultation with the plastic sergeon. He sugested going for a size "B" cup WITHOUT implants. My question is: has anyone else gone down so much smaller? I am thinking that a size "C" cup with an implant would go best with my frame. Could the surgeon just be trying to do what is easier for him, and not really what is best for me and my future life? 
 Have other AMOS breast cancer survivors had reconstruction without implants?
lmcc725
on 11/18/09 12:00 pm - Scranton, PA
I would like to help but I am a little unclear? You have had a mastectomy? I am assuming you have but implants arent in yet? Remember that if you have had a mast. you don't have the chest wall of a standard woman so implants fit into muscle pockets( or similiar depending on surgery) I have largest implants they will put in . They do not appear large because they are far beneath the skin. I hope this helps a little you can feel free to ask me any questions -Lynn
                 Lynn      HW-237/SW-225.8/GW-130   
    I already Kicked Cancer's Ass...
StarWish624
on 11/22/09 11:51 pm - Bakersfield, CA
 Lynn, Thank You for your interest. What I am unhappy about, is that after all this weight loss (170+ lbs.), the plastic surgeon said that my stomach apron skin wasn't usuable for the reconstruction.  Is this true? He said that he couldn't use the skin (and then do a tummy tuck, afterwards - as I had hoped for). He also said that the remaining breast (which is nearly flat now and was VERY large) is a problem due to it's former size. He said that I may lose THAT nipple, too, in the reduction. (As he was telling me this, he mentioned that he could give me a "good price" on the tummy tuck and excess skin removal surgeries). I was wondering if he suggested the  Lattisimus Dorsi Flap, so that he could do the tummy tuck seperately, and charge me for it.
 This is a new surgeon, I don't know his thinking. I understand that the radiated breast skin is different, now.  But, I don't understand why the stomach apron cannot be used. I have lost so much weight, that I really don't have much body fat left. How could I have a reconstruction WITHOUT an implant, as he suggested (for a size "B") with so little body fat?  How would the breast be full and round without body fat - OR an implant? And how is the skin on my back superior to the stomach skin? Is it because it hasn't been stretched as much by the weight gain/loss?
lmcc725
on 11/23/09 12:03 am - Scranton, PA
I mean this is the nicest way......SECOND OPINION! My plastic surgeon practically jumped in the air when I told her about the WLS because of implants. She suggested getting rid of my implants and doing a trans flap, mentioning w it she could do a tummy tuck while its part of the procedure at no charge?/ She was thrilled I am taking it one step at a time but after 3 years. I may consider getting rid of implants...I strongly use may. I haven't actually been approved for surgery yet anyway.
 second opinions never hurt.... I have the largest implants. but because of missing chest wall they dont look large at all(except in a push up bra) They are by no means small but i was a d before and this is not even close to them lol I have 800 cc's
StarWish624
on 11/23/09 1:44 am, edited 11/23/09 1:50 am - Bakersfield, CA
 I  was smart and asked for a business card after the appointment. I have just e-mailed the department coordinator and asked for an appointment for a second opinion. This is life changing surgery. I WON'T let the DR. make this decision for me, as he seemed to opt for the simplestest for HIM, and not what would best suit my body type. I need FACTS to get it right for MY needs..
  Thanks for the information and moral support. ~ Barbara
lmcc725
on 11/23/09 6:01 am - Scranton, PA
Good for you! You know it's your body, your choices. The hardest part of all this that only we can understand is that after you take a step back and Thank God you are alive, you need to be comfortable in your own skin....for our MANY remaining years! Everyone has a different opinion on this. Get all your facts talk to people on forums american cancer society has great message boards. Just be your own advocate!!!!! I see you are doing a great job at that!!!  Good luck I am always around if you need anything   [email protected]
                  -Lynn
Victorious_one
on 1/8/10 3:56 am - South Central, PA
How did your second consult go?

I am strongly considering/planning to have a prophylactic double mast w/recon after my WLS and losing the weight.  I'd rather do implants than a flap, but hey, a free tummy tuck is a free tummy tuck!  

Glad to hear that you're able to get some recon after radiation.  That is my biggest concern.  I hear horror stories of doctors refusing to do recon after radiation.
Nicole  Lab rata data link- One-half of a DS couple!  - I'M BELOW GOAL!
 http://bit.ly/DSExp  After a very rough start it's official--I my DS!  Romans 8:28 
Looking for DS information? Start at 
 http://bit.ly/newDS and DSFacts.com 
LilySlim - Personal pictureLilySlim Weight loss tickers         
StarWish624
on 1/8/10 7:35 am - Bakersfield, CA
 What with the holidays, still waiting to hear about "second" appointment (she said while biting her nails in frustration). My question NOW is - why wasn't I told that it might be easier to do reconstruction BEFORE the radiation treatments!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!  WHY don't they tell this to EVERYONE!!!!!!!!!!   :-(
Victorious_one
on 4/1/10 11:21 am - South Central, PA
 The only reason I didn't do a double mast/recon instead of rads is because they told me that I may have had to do rads even with the mast.  They don't tell folks anything!  I think they're just used to doing things a certain way, and don't really think through all the options and share them with the patients.

That's a new one on me...rads after reconstruction.  That could have saved a whole lot of people a whole lot of stress, worry, frustration, ....

Nicole  Lab rata data link- One-half of a DS couple!  - I'M BELOW GOAL!
 http://bit.ly/DSExp  After a very rough start it's official--I my DS!  Romans 8:28 
Looking for DS information? Start at 
 http://bit.ly/newDS and DSFacts.com 
LilySlim - Personal pictureLilySlim Weight loss tickers         
Most Active