Thyroid Cancer survivor - which WLS would be best??

Nikki0806
on 8/20/12 10:53 am - OH
Hi Everyone,
I have been researching the different WLS surgeries over the past few months and have it narrowed down between the Sleeve and RNY. 
I was wondering if anyone else on here has been diagnosed with Thyroid cancer before deciding on WLS and which surgery did you choose and why?
I have gained approximately 140lbs since the cancer (diagnosed in 2008) and can not loose it no matter what I do :( 

iisme
on 8/30/12 6:46 pm
I don't know how to answer your question other than to let you know I am thinking about you and wish you the best. I had RNY. I like the malabsoption feature of it. It is a double edge sword however. I wish I could still take ibuprofen.

10 pounds loss pre-op
kristen D.
on 9/5/12 9:19 am - Middletown, NY
VSG on 09/25/12
i had thyroid cancer in 2003. Since then I went from a 145 to 278. I've finally decided on the sleeve after a lot of research. For me, with the bypass, i was afraid of mal absorbtion of nutrients because I'm also vit b def. I think the thyroid situation will make weight loss slower but the sleeve is the tool for me! Keep doing your research and see what your doctor thinks is best for you! good luck!!

Lisey
on 9/23/12 8:16 am - Milwaukee suburb, WI
I had Hodgkin's Lymphoma just after I reached my stable weight, though I had a DS.  With malabsorption, it was more difficult to ensure I got the nutrients I needed.  Mostly b/c the nausea medications weren't as effective and my appetite sucked so taking the amount of vites I needed was very challenging.  That's my opinion on malabsorption & cancer, though I don't think these issues would be as challenging with the RNY vs the DS b/c the RNY is a lot less malabsorption. 

I've been on the boards a long time now & my only general thoughts b/w the two is to make sure that you really can committ to the vites needed with the RNY (more than the sleeve) even if you should get sick again.  It adds another challenging dimension.

My personal opinion, I think the sleeve is a better option than the RNY.  DSers have the sleeve also.  What I've seen is that the people who keep a good amount of restriction are those who stop eating when they're full vs when they're stuffed - that will stretch out your tummy.  The good news is, even if you do tend to start eating until you're very full down the road (think 2 - 3 yrs post-op), it only takes about 1 week of careful eating to get your restriction back.

Good luck to you!

HW / SW / CW / GW      299 / 287160 / 140     Feb '09 / Mar '09 / Dec '13 /Aug '10          

Appendicitis/Bowel Obstruction Surgery 8/21/10
Beat Hodgkin's Lymphoma!  7/15/2011 - 1/26/2012 

Ran Half-Marathon 10/14/2012

First Pregnancy, Due 8/12/14                             I LOVE MY DS!!!

alicemenezes
on 2/13/13 3:44 pm

Deciding on a surgery for weight loss can be a very difficult task. Doing research is important but more importantly, I think you must consult with  your doctor on the same. There are a few things that differ from person to person due to which I believe only a doctor can provide good advice after a thorough check- up.

Redbird2448
on 5/19/13 9:43 am

I had TC three years ago and my weight is up there.  I am glad I found out what was making me feel so old, but this weight is going nowhere, and I fear I will be diabetic too. Knees are killing me.  I know I need it, but am feeling guilty about the money which even with insurance is going to really be hard on us.  Still I think knee replacement is like seventy grand each. Diabetes is expensive to treat. I used to love to move, and I would so like to be able to ride a bike again. I have to work and am worried about the time I will need off. Have no idea which surgery to have.  The band just plain looks like it would bug me to death.  

I am very pleased that my husband is supportive of the idea though. I am very surprised, and please at this. He is a good one this man of mine. Has been for like 35 years.   

How do you choose which hospital is best?  There is one near me I like but is a center of excellence a name they can just call themselves? or does some entity bless them with this title? 

cheryl B.
on 5/28/13 11:34 pm - Oxford, MI

I had thyroid cancer 15 years ago and I gained lots of weight. I had RNY 4 years ago because that is what my insurance would pay for. It is a lot of work, but they all are. I have lost 190 pounds. A little has crept back but I am working on that.  You must stay focused and follow the rules. I would not change a thing about my surgery.

Best wishes

Cheryl

shoven21187
on 9/5/13 2:39 am - Saint Paul, MN

I have recently beaten thyroid cancer as well! Go us! :-) Although- I dealt with mine almost 2 years post op. This was a problem because it happened about the same time as the malabsorption was going away and between the meds changing and the side effects and being hypothyroid for so long I have gained almost 60 lbs now at only 2 1/2 years out. Also- I am having one hell of a time trying to lose the weight because I have null for metabolism and I am fatigued all the time because I need to stay in hyperthyroid ranges to make sure the cancer doesnt come back. It really is a rollercoaster! I wish I would have found out and gone through it all preop so I think you are in a much better situation! I love my RNY and wouldnt change it for the world!

rainyone
on 10/23/13 5:01 pm - Canada
VSG on 04/03/12
I had thyroid cancer 7 years ago and had my thyroid removed. I was sleeved 18 months ago. I have a reoccurrence now in my lymph nodes and just last week had the little bit of my thyroid removed and the nodes in my neck . Going to get radioactive iodine next and hopefully that will be the end of it.

I have lost 100 lbs ( need 20 more but haven't been working at it ) I liked the sleeve because I didn't like the malabsorption and figured I didn't need it . Less long term side effects imo

HW 295 lbs,CW 195, nuts goal-210, my goal 175 surgery date April 3 in Tijuana with Dr Ponce De Leon      

David147
on 6/10/15 3:28 am

A friend of mine had this also. Her hair thinned a great deal and after a couple years, just now looking and feeling normal. She takes the pills also to do what the thyroid is supposed to do and it took some adjusting for it to get right in her system. If the pills aren't making you feel normal, get back with your doc so he can adjust the dosage.

Most Active