Hi, a newbie for cancer survivor board

FabulousBand
on 7/10/05 8:13 am - Kountze, TX
Hi, Am I the first member to this board? I am looking foward to my Lap Band surgery set on July 20, 2005. Also, I am A Warrior against the "BEAST" Malignant Melanoma. I had it last year & had surgery & biopsy on 2 nodes underarm/right side & remove MM on my right forearm on Sept. 3, 2004 at MD Anderson in Houston. I still go to MDA every 3 months for follow-ups. The result of biopsy on nodes is clear. In March of 2005 I had Lymphedema on my right arm, swollen & very painful! Soon will have the custom made sleeve for it! Patti Broussard
Shirley M.
on 7/16/05 1:48 pm - Clinton, IN
Hi! My name is Shirley and I'm a breast cancer survivor. We must have been going through treatment about the same time. Mine started in March of 2004. I also see my oncologist every three months now. Bless your heart with the lymphedema, I had lymph nodes on the affected side removed and I am always "babying" that side because I am afraid I would get lymphadema. The worst thing I have experienced from my chemo is that my joints and arthritis is alot worse now. I am hoping to have a laprascopic RNY by the first of the year. I am on Indiana Disability Medicaid right now and they make you jump through alot of hoops (-: My twin sister had an RNY last July 20th and she has already lost 200 pounds, she's my inspiration and my cheerleader. She was also extremely supportive during my chemotherapy. Congratulations on getting a date for your surgery (I just noticed that your surgery will be on my sister's one year wls anniversary!!!) and please keep me updated on your progress.
FabulousBand
on 7/18/05 1:07 am - Kountze, TX
Hello Shirley, You are a warrior to "Breast Cancer." Keep up with your follow ups with your doctor. Bless your heart for your experience in pain with your joints & arthritis. Are you taking any medicines for the relief? Try to go for a good warm bubble bath bath for relief & relaxing. Horray for her, your sister have lost 200 lbs since July 20 of 2004! Best luck for your surgery at the first of the year! I will update my profile after the surgery. Your twin sister & I are July 20's! PATTI
Megan J.
on 7/17/05 1:08 pm - Foothill Ranch, CA
Hi all! I'm a colon cancer survivor. I was diagnosed in 2000 and have colonoscopies every 3 years. So far so good but I'm scheduled for my next "invasion" in October of 2006 I wish you all the best of luck! Megan
FabulousBand
on 7/18/05 1:18 am - Kountze, TX
Hi Megan Great that you are a cancer survivor! We all can beat the " Big C" Keep up with your follow ups with your doctor! Thank you & Best Luck to you. PATTI
tommie W.
on 8/12/05 7:08 am - Newton, TX
Hi, I am also a newby and a Breast Cancer survivor of 9 years with positive lymph nodes. I do have lymphedema..of my left arm, had modified radical mastectomy, chemo, radiation and 5 years of Tamoxifen.It's been a roller coaster ride. Gained all my weight during this time, now I am ready to take control and have the lapband so I can lose some weight. I also go to Houston, but I use Stehlin and DeIpoli onco. clinic at St Joseph Hospital. I still see Dr. D at least every 6 months. That's just a brief history. I come from a big family history of cancer. Please take care of that arm, I have a lymph pump that I use .... Tommie
KATHY Y N TX
on 1/10/06 3:43 am - New Braunfels, TX
I just had my lap RNY on 12-22-05. I survived a Ewings Sarcoma(bone cancer) in 1975. I had 18 months of chemo and 6 weeks of radiation. This is before they would insert a pic line for children so I had to have a new IV every time I got a treatment. I graduated High School wearing a wig. I am still lucky because in 1975 the survival rate was only about 45%. I now have lipomas in my stomach that they tried to remove during my RNY but were unable to. My surgery took 5 hours instead of 2. I know they are benign but I wish they could have been removed. I am blessed to be a survivor. I am down 27 pounds and wish everyone great luck and success. Kathy
Most Active