Survivor of Malignant Melanoma

birdlady
on 12/25/05 8:59 am - Jacksonville, FL
Hi everyone, I am a 17 year survivor of malignant melanoma on my right foot. I feel so thankful to God that I caught it soon enough so that I did not need to undergo any chemo or radiation. I did have an extreme surgery on my foot and subsequent skin grafts but all is ok. I had lapband surgery on 11/10/05 and have lost 20 lbs. since then. I have been very happy about my decision to have the surgery and look forward to losing all the weight that has plagued me for so long. A very Merry Christmas to everyone and I pray you will be successful with your weight loss and cancer struggles. Be blessed. Cheryl
Pegtrala
on 12/26/05 12:46 pm - Beaverton, OR
Hi Cheryl. I'm really glad you wrote. Congratulations on surviving malignant melanona. Seventeen Years! What a victory. Congrats too on your WLS and your 20 lb. loss. That's wonderful! I hope you had a nice Christmas. I feel very blessed to be here this year celebrating with my family. I had my second stomach surgery in August, which removed the rest of my stomach and had a pouch made from my small intestines. I feel great and can eat almost anything I want...just smaller quantities. Since my first surgery April 2004 to remove stomach cancer, I have lost about 70 lbs. I hope to lose another 35 lbs. The most important thing right now is regaining my health and strength. I thank God every day for my family, my friends, my surgeon, and the other healthcare professionals who have taken such good care of me. I hope you have a great 2006, and I hope you continue on your road to good health. Take care. Peg
lrosenda
on 2/11/06 4:41 am - Magna, UT
Cheryl, Welcome. I don't check this message board too often, but, want to say congratulations on your 17 year survival. It is a real accomplishment. My boss wasn't so lucky. He died of malignant melanoma last year. His father and brother also died from it. I am a 4 year breast cancer survivor. I've done well. I had my WLS on May 23rd, I've lost 129 lbs. I feel like I'm really going to be healthy now! Take care and keep reaching out! Lori 384/255/168
FabulousBand
on 3/15/06 5:51 am - Kountze, TX
Hello Cheryl, My name is Patti Broussard from Texas & I also am a warrior of Malignant Melanoma. It was on my right forearm & had it removed by surgery & SNB at same time at MD Anderson in Houston in Aug of 2004. They removed two nodes & they were clear. No treatments after surgery. I had the lap band inserted on July 20, 2005 & this is my 8th month now since surgery. I have lost over 128 pounds overall. And doing good & there is a profile about me on obesityhelp.com. Sadly, Since after Christmas, I felt a lump under my right axilla & went to my family doctor. First, dr say it may be infection & put me on antibodies. Then in Jan 6, 2006 I collasped at dr's office & was sent to hospital by ambulance. I had a severe bad case of Pneumonia on my right lung & stayed at hospital for two weeks. In Feb, 2006, another lump appeared not far from my primary site on my right forearm. Went back to dr again & sent me for ultrasound & biopsy tests. Bad News, Ultrasound showed there were 3 enlarged nodes under my right axilla & the biopsy showed that it is malignant melanoma again. It recurred on results on march 6 that I learned. It really hit me hard that it fooled the drs and me as I am Stage 2 now 3. I am in the process to have the tests for MRI, X Rays & Cat Scan to see how far it goes. My appointment at MDA will be March 27. I will know the results what is next to stop that "BEAST". Patti Broussard
birdlady
on 3/15/06 10:03 am - Jacksonville, FL
My dear Patti. I am so sorry to hear of the reacurrance of your melanoma. It is indeed a "BEAST." I am so glad to hear though that you are at MDA, as they are miracle workers in my book. My sister, Sharon, who lives in Seguin, Tx. went to MDA to be treated for a malignant Sarcoma Cancer in 2002. She is doing real well although she is going in for more surgery in a couple of weeks at MDA to remove some cysts. The doctors believe they are benign, but because of her history they aren't taking any chances. I can only imagine what a shock this was to you that the melanoma has come back. I pray that the MRI'S and other tests will turn out clean and only the nodes will need to be treated further. Thankfully there are so many different treatments out there today and fortunately you live near a top cancer hospital. Please stay in touch and let me know how your tests turn out. I will keep you in my prayers Patti as you embark on this new and uncertain journey. You have had such great success with your weight loss and I applaud you for that. Stay strong my friend and lean on your family, friends and our Lord and Savior Jesus Christ. He will not let you down. My very best to you. God bless. Cheryl
Most Active