3 Time cancer survivor, WLS post op 6 months out, and my Father is dying too....

S W.
on 1/23/06 12:27 pm - MI
In 1990, I was diagnosed with Uterine, Ovarian and Cervical cancer, stage 4. They offered me treatments of various sorts, and the option of surgery. I had suffered for numerous years being in and out of hospitals, and in agony. I chose surgery, knowing, I would NEVER be able to "bear" a child. In 1991, I had a complete hysterecomy, removing all of my reproductive organs. I overcame it well, and within 9 months, I was given a "clean" bill of health and had returned to work long before that. In April of 2005, I went to my family for their "blessing" on my WLS, and though I felt they really weren't supportive, it was what I wanted. In June of 2005, my father was diagnosed with terminal cancer of the esophagus, that now, has spread into his liver, lungs, kidneys, and heart. He underwent 6 rounds of chemo-therapy and nothing worked. Hospice comes into their home regularly, but Mom said today (1/23) that he is growing weaker and weaker every day. Last week he had to endure a two pint blood transfusion because they had done labs and said that his blood count was "So Low" that if it became any lower, he would simply fall asleep and die. In this turn of event prior to my surgery, I had almost chose not to have it. I had asked them one last time, though I am of adult age to do whatever I want, I just wanted to know if I should go ahead. And I did. However, I have been down this journey alone for the most part, with little or no support from anyone in my immediate family. It's been really hard on my spirit and heart, and knowing that my dad is dying, makes me feel like I did the wrong thing by going ahead and having the surgery in July. But, I don't regret it now. Not for one second. I've come to live with my decision, and have handled this alone, and on my own. And other than worrying about my protein intake, I've done quite well. So I hope that if you read this, you know that you are not alone in your struggle or fight, and that anything could be a road block, but you can get through it. I'm living proof. Thank you for letting me share.
Pegtrala
on 1/31/06 6:27 pm - Beaverton, OR
Hi Stacey. I'm glad you wrote. I'm really sorry to hear about your father and what he and the rest of your family are going through as he approaches the end of his journey. I'm sorry you have had to travel your journey through WLS alone. You must be a very strong person to have gone through having cancer and then deciding to go through WLS. You definitely are a fighter. I so admire you. I have written a few times on this board about my journey with my cancer. I too am a survivor. I hope I can say that 6 months from now, 1 year from now, 5 years from now. There are no guarantees in life. We just have to take each day as it comes. I just wanted you to know that you are not alone. I will be keeping you in my thoughts. Keep sharing and posting. Even though this isn't a very active board, I think it serves a good purpose, even if it is just to be able to share our feelings from time to time. Peg
lrosenda
on 2/11/06 4:39 am - Magna, UT
Stacey, You are living proof! I'm very sorry to hear about your father. I just went to a funeral yesterday for the CEO of the hospital I work at that cancer finally took a week ago. I am a 4 year breast cancer survivor. What I've learned the most from all of this is that we have to be grateful for who and what we do have. I am sure you understand that. Are you able to eat meats yet? How about fat free cottage cheese. I start my day with 1 cup of it each morning with a tomato cut up in it. It starts me off with 26 grams of protein. Keep reaching out. It is what we are all here for! Lori
S W.
on 2/11/06 5:25 am - MI
I can't eat dairy products at all, never liked cottage cheese (ew) and I am not able to tolerate tomatoes.....the skin and seeds bother me, always have. I have a high protein oatmeal cereal I found at the co-op store that's organic and has 9 grams of protein per serving plus I add raisins and nuts (slivered almonds) so that and my coffee is my breakfast when I eat it. Which is rare. Since I work 2nd shift, I rarely eat breakfast anymore. Coffee, vitamins and a protein bar is my first thing in my mouth daily. Other than that, yes I eat meat, was eating meats early on, just have to eat lean cuts of it. I eat more fish than anything else. Thanks for the support!
Most Active