Reactive Hypoglycemia or Dumping and Peripheral Neuropathy?

mcrcsr
on 6/17/13 11:05 pm, edited 6/17/13 11:11 pm

Hi Everyone,

I am 4 years out from RNY. andI have developed progressive poly-neuropathy.  My neurologist had me do a 75mg oral glucose tolerance test (OGTT) to see if blood sugar issues might be causing the problem.  My A1C and  fasting blood sugar are normal, The resuls form the OGTT  were as follows:

fasting  91

30 min 209

60 min 62

90 min 30

120 min 62  

He thinks I have both high blood sugar and reactive hypoglycemia.  How do the docs distinguish dumping from reactive hypoglycemia?  I have certainly been having more tachycardia and sweatiness after eating some of the time.

I have a referral to an endocrinologist in a week or so and am watching my diet carefully (high protein, then some fat and complex carbs) and will monitor blood sugar.  In the meantime, I'd love some input from the group's collective wisdom!   Thanks! Cheryl

H.A.L.A B.
on 6/18/13 11:45 pm
A lot of us post op RNY deal with reactive hypoglycemia. Dumping happens if you eat to many sugars and will happen within 10-20 min after eating. RH happens 2-3 hours after eating. There are many posts on RNY forum about that. Check that.

Hala. RNY 5/14/2008; Happy At Goal =HAG

"I can eat or do anything I want to - as long as I am willing to deal with the consequences"

"Failure is not falling down, It is not getting up once you fell... So pick yourself up, dust yourself off, and start all over again...."

Pupcake !.
on 7/13/13 4:35 am - Stranded in, IA

For the neuropathy have they checked your B6?  My B12, thiamine etc  had always been on the high side without supplementation-   

I went to a new Doc with horrible numbness/tingling/pain in hands/feet, all over.  Turns out my B6 was 8 (20-125)  at the same time my B12 was 882 (243-894).  It took about a month but with supplementation then numbness etc went away.  I stopped wearing splints at night and life is now good.

I too have problems with RH and just try and eat every 2 hours- (high protein)

Pup

No surgery has been harmed/defamed by the writer of this post.  
RNY 10/28/03 305# 8/11/04 147#  9 years out and >75% EWL!

Most Active