4 days post op and I have been having shoulder pain

misstea
on 11/25/04 11:20 pm - Indian Mound, TN
I have also had a cough, it seems like i need to cough nothing comes up but it has made me sore, the upper part of my left shoulder is hurting I am assuming it is gas settling but I have been doing like my dr told me and up and walking. Is there anything I can do about the shoulder pain, and what does anyone make of the cough.
Bobbi G.
on 12/21/04 5:11 am - Anchorage, AK
Misty~ I'm not quite 3 weeks post op with the band, but here's my experience with what you are describing. The cough is likely related to the endotrachial tube that was put in your throat during surgery. It is standard procedure when you are under general anesthesia. Your throat may feel scratchy and irritated for a few days but it goes away--that may be why you feel a need to cough. The pain in your shoulder(s) is also from the surgery. Walking is good and will help dissipate the gas. The best thing I found to ease the pain was a warm heating pad across my shoulder. Felt fabulous and really helped. This is really the worst time, about 3 to 4 days out. If it makes you feel any better, I had surgery on a Thursday and had to spend 16 hours in planes and airports to get home on Sunday! Yep, I was sore but went to work that Tuesday and have been doing fine ever since (and I'm OLD! ) Take care, and do stop by the Lap Band Forum for help, advice, support, and people who know what you're going thru! Go to the home page, click on the up left drop-down menu, and go to Lap Band Forum. Hope you feel better soon!!
Most Active