a1c 12.5 scard

ktbaker77
on 12/15/11 9:29 pm - Gainesville, FL
You do realize that with 500 + blood sugers you should be in the Hospital right?
you WILL destroy your body in a year or two with sugers like that.  you need alot more insulin.  
You  are commiting Sucide with your mouth right now.  If that is what you want then continue what you are doing.  If you want to live you must change.  
it is that simple.  there are no other ways to look at this. 
I was taking 100 units of Lantus twice a day and 80 Units of Humalog with meals and had an A1C of 7.6
after VSG and loosing 86 LBS I now take 70 Units of Lantus once a day and no Humalog at all.
A1C is now 7.0 and Dropping. 
I also found that going Low Carb helps too.

Your Choice
eat what you want when you want and DIE
take control and LIVE.

LosingSally
on 1/12/12 11:44 am
I would ask for DS weight loss surgery. And fight to get it.
When I was on 2 types of insulin and couldn't get the sugar level down, I would cut all carbs for 2-3 days, and eat salads with SF dressings, and proteins like fish, chicken or beef. No fruit, milk, bread, rice, cereal, grits, potatoes of any kind, corn, dry peas or beans.
This usually would allow me to wake up with a lower fasting glucose level, and easier to maintain throughout the day.Shooting for anything below 200 would be a good first target.
Then add veggies back in slowly ( other than salad greens etc). This isn't a long term solution, but a quick way to lower the too high sugars.
MY A1c was above 11 before surgery, and I used this plan to get it a little lower for surgery.
Best wishes!
vkhill22
on 1/28/12 3:36 am - Duluth, MN
I can relate. I've had type 1 for 23 years now. My A1C hovered around 10 for years. I even seizure with extreme lows. I wasn't living--I was dying slowly. I finally agreed to the insulin pump about 7 years ago. It truly saved my life!! I was so tired of being sick. I had to try something different. Please, please consider the pump. Its scary, I know, but can life-saving. I was not a good compliant diabetic patient so I got lots of lectures from doctors, but nowadays I think they are listening to their patients more. We are not perfect. We all eat differently and some of us have issues with food. Thats the reality. Before I had my gastric bypass last June, I had to work on getting my A1C down to 8. It took about 9 months of working closely with the diabetes nurses, but I wanted to lose weight so bad that I did it. I couldn't lose weight on my own and in fact gained 30 pounds without doing anything. Please look at your options in life and not give-up!! With my surgery, I've lost over 100 pounds within 9 months!! I still eat whatever I want, just smaller portions. If you need to talk more, my e-mail is [email protected]. Please take care-there is hope!!

BWB
on 2/3/12 9:54 am
 You can add me to the list of diabetics that was not in control of my sugar level.  The preop diet helped tremendously and now 5 months out, I still have to take some insulin but not nearly what it used to be.  Metformin gave me  uncontrollable diahrea so that is out of the question.  Right now my fasting sugar is 130 to 150ish.  

I agree with the other comments:  you need an endocrinoligist and I do too.  They are so booked up and so few and far between.  You will feel so much better when you get everything under control.

Most Active
Recent Topics
Dry Mouth Substitute
Kayla_Davis1 · 1 replies · 165 views
Leg Stent, T1 Diabetes
AW · 0 replies · 492 views
Want sugar
jfak7670 · 2 replies · 835 views