7 year post op, and diabetes came back STRONGER

Brenda J.
on 12/24/11 11:13 pm - Tweed, Canada

1) Never regained an ounce since all my weightloss - --

and my diabetes all came back, has this happened to you ?  ( 7 year post op +++?

Julia HasHerLifeNow
on 12/26/11 10:49 pm
VSG on 10/09/12
Brenda, what surgery type did u have? Did u stay low carb? I haven't had the surgery yet so am very interested because my main reason is to put my diabetes into remission. I don't dare say cure because well, of situations like yours. I guess as it is a genetic disease and progressive and chronic, it is bound to eventually adjust to the effects of surgery and come back. Everything adjusts. It is a good thing you had a 7 year remission. What is your doc saying? What will be the strategy to control it now?

View more of my photos at ObesityHelp.com 5ft0; highest weight 222; surgery weight 208; current weight 120

Brenda J.
on 12/26/11 11:03 pm - Tweed, Canada
Dear one,,
i had the Gastric bypass,.. and my sugars were fine for a while, and as you know we get older and the machine gets older....  so  the strategy now is to get back on metformin,... i can not run anymore as i did for years as i wa**** and run by a car as i was walking on the sidewalk..so knees are done... my suggestion to you is .. LOSE AS MUCH as you can NOW>>>>  as it gets harder later... :D
Julia HasHerLifeNow
on 12/27/11 2:56 am
VSG on 10/09/12
Working on it... Losing already and after the sleeve I hope to go to 110 lbs which is thin for me although "normal" in the BMI range. I have heavy bones. I want to go on the thinner side precisely because I know that with the years some weight is liable to creep back on. Sigh... This is so hard. I just hope I can make the right changes and exercise. This has always been the pitfall for me. I can't tell you how many annual gym memberships I paid and never used....

View more of my photos at ObesityHelp.com 5ft0; highest weight 222; surgery weight 208; current weight 120

funkyphillygirl
on 12/28/11 1:15 pm
Find out what type you are.  It's possible you have LADA (latent autoimmune diabetes in adults) or Type 1.5 diabetes.  It has features of both types - you need insulin like a Type 1 and have insulin resistance as a Type 2.  Your endocrinologist can test for that....

Good luck!
Brenda J.
on 12/28/11 11:01 pm - Tweed, Canada

WOW, hey funkyphillygirl   thank you for the info,, i had never heard of this... hmmm wow.!

(happy holdiays to you).

Julia HasHerLifeNow
on 12/29/11 5:41 am
VSG on 10/09/12
There is a great forum called diabetesforums dot com. It has a huge wealth of info on all the types of D and info on meds, food, carbs... Just a ton of stuff. I live there and here these days!

funkyphillygirl
on 12/29/11 11:13 am
And to you, too!!! 

About 10-20% of Type 2 diabetics are actually misdiagnosed as Type 2's when they actually are LADA's/Type 1.5.  So, it's not a huge percentage but it happens. 

I've been diabetic  since age 29 (25 years ago) - diagnosed as Type 2.  I honeymooned out on every oral med they had then, lost a significant amount of weight (on purpose), got to a normal weight and then went on insulin about a year after my diagnosis.  I've been on insulin (and orals) ever since - and gained 95 pounds along the way.  I also had/have PCOS, so insulin resistance is a big deal.

Doctors always speculated that something didn't seem quite right about my story or my treatment course until about a year ago when I was getting serious about bariatric surgery.  I had a GAD 65 antibodies test and something else - they contradicted each other.  I then had a C-peptide which showed minimal insulin production and my Type 2 diabetes finally became Type 1.  I do use novolog insulin, lantus and glucophage now post RNY surgery (9/12/11).  I have stopped taking a lot of other oral meds and Byetta since surgery. 

Anyway, just throwing this out there.  Diabetes is much more complicated than most believe - it's not always this neat, clean Type 1 or 2, lose weight and all is well kind of thing.  I've learned a lot through my own reading and researching and advocacy for myself.  I had RNY not so much for weight loss, but to get better control.  And so far, that is working.  To me, weight loss is an added benefit, but definitely not the goal of this surgery.  So, from the beginning, I knew I had to have something where my digestive system was impacted - thus RNY. 

Happy New Year - look around for a good endocrinologist and stick to them like glue!!  :-)
Sheri A.
on 1/1/12 8:21 am
Never heard of LADA but I may have that. I am 5 years post op RNY, and am at normal BMI. I take Janumed and Victoza, got off insulin (Levemir, 7-10 units)in June and my sugars are now just hovering between 100-120. My A1C is at 6.7, doctor is quite pleased actually. I also exercise 5x a week and watch what I eat. I am healthier and happier as a thin person but wish the diabetes was better controlled
lrjoy
on 2/8/12 2:24 am - IL
After years of researching and working on my personal issues I have to agree that Diabetes is much more complicated than most believe -it's not always this neat, clean Type 1 or 2, lose weight and all is well kind of thing. 

I too learned a lot through my own reading and researching and advocacy for myself.  I had RNY in October of 2010 not so much for weight loss, but to get better control.  I was diagnosed with gestational diabetes in 1981 and it never went away. 

Since then I have run marathon's (under training with dietician and physical trainer specializing in diabetic patients) been on every med and finally meds and insulin and well, it just kept getting worse (my resistence). 

My highest weight (I'm 5'4") was 224 after childbirth and the lowest I could get was 190 and I was miserable when I got to that weight.  I researched and thought about surgery for 5 years before comitting to the procedure as a way to hopefully stem the tide of complications that were just starting with my diabetes. 

I weighed 188 lbs the morning of my surgery and 36 hours later and 12 pounds heavier (water I'm sure) I was off all insulin and meds.   It took 9 months, gym 3 times a week (again working with a very specialized trainer) and today I am 135 pounds and so far, it is working.  My fasting blood sugars are alway right around 100, 3 hrs are lower than 116.    

Yes the weight loss was an added benefit, but definitely not the goal of this surgery.  So, from the beginning, I knew I had to have something where my digestive system was impacted - thus RNY.  Another factor, my cholesterol and Tri's are all in normal range now - it took about a total of 6 months for that to happen.  Really good for me as I could not tolerate any Statin that the doctor tried with me. 

I knew the day I had my surgery that my poor little Pancreas had been "putting out" for many years and that at some point in the future it might not be able to put out enough, but the hope for me is that if that day comes and I am once again in a place where insulin is a necessity - I hope that the resistence is still gone - that is why I am maintaining as healthy a life style as I can and thanking God that this worked for me and praying that they figure out EXACTLY what physiciological change in the body is making this work for at least those people who fit my "profile". 

The best part, I now understand what "runners high" is - I feel great most of the time and that never happened in my entire life (really - even as a young Extremely active person).   I always participated in sports and always went home and fell down dog tired - wondering why other people felt so great afterwards.

My biggest complaint right now  . . . I don't fit in exactly anywhere.  My support group is great, but even there I have experienced prejuidice - you only had to lose a small amount of weight . . . and well forget about anyone else outside of the Bariatric Surgery World, as far as they are concerned I somehow "cheated" my way to weight loss, they don't even want to hear about how good I feel because my insulin now works right.   That part is very frustrating.  I wish there was a support group just for Metabloic sydrome patients . . . lower BMI before surgery . . .  maybe someday.

Lily

Most Active
Recent Topics
Dry Mouth Substitute
Kayla_Davis1 · 1 replies · 164 views
Leg Stent, T1 Diabetes
AW · 0 replies · 492 views
Want sugar
jfak7670 · 2 replies · 835 views