Type 1.5 diabetic, is it harder to loose weight than non diabetic?

jboyd6210
on 8/14/12 9:25 pm
I was told that i have 1.5 diabeties at age 12. Nowt at 26, my bmi was 41.1, I had my surgery on 8-6-12. in the last week i had lost 14 pounds. I was wondering if that could just be water weight? I also have a underactive thyroid, high blood pressure and high cholesterol. Do you think it will be harder for me to loose weight or will i loose it at a pretty good pace llike everyone else? I have tried diets and excercise in the past and had no luck with weight loss. Just hoping this is actual results and no****er. My everytime i dieted it was water weight and as soon as i came off the diet. the 12 pounds i had lost and kept off for three months had returned in 2 days and all i  did differently was switch from a 1200 calorie diet to a 1500 calorie diet.
funkyphillygirl
on 8/15/12 8:43 am
Just stay in touch with your surgical team and follow directions to the letter, but know that all of us lose at a different rate.  Let your body lead the way.

I don't know what surgery you had, but if it was RNY or BPDS, your body will change how you process what you eat now and you will not absorb all of the calories or nutrients.   So, you will lose weight as you move ahead.  Be sure to stay up on your vitamins and supplements - very important.

In the first week or so, most of us lose a lot of fluids that we put on from the surgery.  I came home 10 pounds heavier than I went in due to fluids, and I dropped most of that in the first week or so.  Try to be as active as you can, as walking will help move that fluid off.

I know it's hard to believe that you will lose weight now, but you will.  Give this a few weeks and you will see what we all have experienced!  Good luck!

I also was surprised to see that you were diagnosed as a 1.5 at age 12?  Since 1.5's are latent autoimmune diabetes in adults, the diagnosis usually does not apply unless onset was later - late 20's/early 30's.  I learn something new everyday.

I am a LADA - type 1.5 - diagnosed at 29.  I had  RNY in September 2011 and have dropped about 75-80 pounds in 11 months.  Like you, I was unable to lose any weight despite my best efforts prior to surgery. I am the only person I know who gained 35 pounds while doing 2 hour spin classes!  But, fortunately, that pattern has changed post surgery. 

You can do it.  You will do it. 

Keep us posted!
funkyphillygirl
on 8/15/12 8:47 am
OH!  And FYI - my bmi prior to surgery was about 42 and now is 30.0 - in 11 months.  And, because I am older (55), I think my weight loss rate has been a little slow. 
jboyd6210
on 8/18/12 3:14 pm
Thank you that information was very helpful! I had the RNY done, and have lost 15 so far. I am glad to hear my body will level its self out. And yes i was 12 when i was told i had 1.5. I had symptoms of both. My pancreas wasn't producing like it should and i was a tad overweight at the time. I have been on insulin every since.
funkyphillygirl
on 8/20/12 9:34 am
See?  You are losing!  And you will continue to lose - it's almost surreal during those first few months.  I was going through clothes like crazy.  I'd buy pants that fit (or were even a little snug) and within 3 weeks, they would be too large.  It seems almost too good to be true, right?

Congrats!  Life is changing!
JOY H.
on 8/23/12 5:04 am - Jackson, NC
RNY on 06/27/12
Please explain to me what a 1.5 diabetic is?  I have lived around diabetics all my life (type 1) and I developed type 2 4 yrs ago.  I had never heard of 1.5 until I joined OH.  I'm interested because I wonder if that is what I have.  I've been on insulin since day 1 and have always had a problem controlling it...up and down.  Since RNY 2 mos ago my insulin has been cut more than half, but I still spike up often no matter what I eat.

How is a 1.5 disgnosed?

funkyphillygirl
on 8/23/12 12:02 pm
Hi Joy!
Type 1.5 is also known as LADA (Latent Autoimmune Diabetes in Adults).  Basically, it is most often diagnosed around the age of 30 and many (although not all) who have it are normal weight.  I was not.

There is an autoimmune component in that the body attacks its own islet (insulin producing) cells and destroys them (like type 1).  Those with LADA experience decreasing insulin production over time.  Some go on insulin right away, and some get a few years before they absolutely NEED insulin.  Research now seems to suggest that going on insulin early preserves some functioning of the insulin producing cells. 

Type 1.5's ALSO have insulin resistance which is found in Type 2 diabetics.  So, not only do we have insulin insufficiency, but we have insulin resistance - a fun package.

There are several blood tests that measure certain markers and that's how you find out.  I have been diabetic since the age of 29 (26 years), insulin dependent for 25 of those years and was misdiagnosed as a Type 2 until about 3 years ago when I was one of my early rounds of pre-surgical answers.  I have never really FIT Type 2, but never really FIT Type 1 either.  I wanted to know prior to RNY so that I knew what I could expect in terms of possible "cure".

I am 11 months out from RNY and have lost about 75 pounds.  I am still using insulin, although in a different mix that previously.  I am about to go on a pump, which I think will make some things a bit better.  I have been able to go off 3 oral diabetes meds however and lose weight for the first time ever.  I gained 100 pounds since my diabetes diagnosis that would not  go, even with strict diet and exercise.  I also have PCOS and the surgeon and others told me that I have "bad biology".

Do a search and you'll find more out there on LADA.  About 10% of Type 2's are really LADAs and are misdiagnosed as 2's.  I know it hasn't changed my treatment much, but just knowing WHY I don't fit into the Type 2 diagnosis, as well as being able to understand why going off insulin will never be possible for me, made a huge difference and allowed me to have much more realistic expectations of the surgery.

JOY H.
on 8/23/12 12:55 pm - Jackson, NC
RNY on 06/27/12
Thanks for your reply.
I was diagnosed 4 yrs ago at age 50 as type 2, but I was put on insulin and metformin from the get go.  My A1C at diagnosis was 14.  I no longer take metformin, but still take Novolog and Lantus.  I had gained weight from hypothyroidism and menopause (had been skinny all my life) and that's when the diabetes got me.

I'm still hoping I'll one day be off insulin as I lose weight.  I do feel much better with what I've already lost!!

funkyphillygirl
on 8/24/12 9:24 am
It doesn't sound like LADA to me.  Given that your A1C was as high as it was, I'm not surprised that you were put on insulin right away. 

As you continue to lose weight, your insulin needs really will change.  You may not necessarily reduce your insulin a lot right away, but I am betting your insulin will certainly work better and your insulin resistance will start to decrease. 

Looking at your tracker, we could be twins...my HW was 262 a few years ago.  I went on Byetta, and it allowed me to drop about 18 pounds or so.  My pre-surgery weight was 246 and today I am 175.  I'd like to go lower, but don't know if my body will go there.  It's ok though.  I have to tell you that the first time I bought something that WASN'T a plus size, I cried right there in the store.  I don't think I've weighed this since sometime in college.  My lowest adult weight is around 157, and I'd like to get there, but don't know if I will.  And, that is OK because I am 55 now, not 25!

Keep up the good work and keep reporting in.  I'm so happy for you!
JOY H.
on 8/24/12 1:12 pm - Jackson, NC
RNY on 06/27/12
Thanks, girl!  Had my first appt with my PCP today since surgery and my A1C has come down, my cholesterol was normal, but my BP was still on the high side.  He adjusted my meds some and I go back to him in 3 mos.  He was very pleased with my progress so far!!

Most Active
Recent Topics
Dry Mouth Substitute
Kayla_Davis1 · 1 replies · 184 views
Leg Stent, T1 Diabetes
AW · 0 replies · 513 views
Want sugar
jfak7670 · 2 replies · 866 views