1 year today!

funkyphillygirl
on 9/12/12 11:32 am, edited 9/12/12 11:35 am
So, today is my 1 year RNY anniversary!  Yahoo!! 

As a Type 1.5 diabetic (and someone with PCOS), I really was not sure what to expect from the surgery.  I knew that I would always need insulin, but since I have never been able to lose any weight through my own diligent efforts, I didn't know what my outcome would be.

Here are just a few things that are different from a year ago: 
I’ve lost about 75 pounds (30% of my starting weight)
I have lost 43 inches from my body
My current hip measurement is the exact waist measurement I had on the day of surgery (and it’s not a small number) 
My hbA1c last week was 7.0 – the first time it has been this low in about 10 years
I have not needed any cholesterol medicine for a year
My insulin needs have decreased substantially and my endocrinologist believes my insulin resistance is markedly better
I am off blood pressure medicine, and only need a daily diuretic to maintain normal levels. 
I was able to jettison 2 oral diabetic medicines and cut one dose (metformin) in half. 
I am going to go on an insulin pump in the next few months so that I have more precise control and better results.
I can RUN – not a lot – but I can run!  And stairs are a breeze now - not bad for a 55 year old! ·        I am enrolled in a doctoral program - a lifelong goal. 
I don’t have to buy plus size clothing any longer and it’s probably been at least 25 years since I could say that.  

Notice that I'm not so focused on how I look or what size I can wear, but on the IMPROVEMENT IN MY HEALTH.  This is why I did this in the first place. I thought about it for 9 years before I actually did it. 

I'm so incredibly grateful to my surgeon, his team, my endocrinologist, my husband and my friends - it's amazing to finally get some results after struggling my whole life with this. 

I hope this offers hope and encouragement to anyone out there that needs it.  It's hard work, but so is anything that is worth it....Im blessed.
donchal1
on 9/13/12 6:40 pm
Congrats, you should be really proud of yourself, you go girl
Donna
funkyphillygirl
on 9/14/12 3:32 pm
Thanks Donna!!  You will soon know the same feeling - just keep moving forward.  I've been so fortunate!
Most Active
Recent Topics
Dry Mouth Substitute
Kayla_Davis1 · 1 replies · 184 views
Leg Stent, T1 Diabetes
AW · 0 replies · 513 views
Want sugar
jfak7670 · 2 replies · 866 views